The 6hr Falicon 468cc quad

GDITheman

#11 Post by GDITheman »

So, even running at lower rpm's you had cooling issues? Was there anything that needs attention immediatley or does it just need subtle improvements?

Derno24

#12 Post by Derno24 »

I wouldn't say running a lower revlimit would help much in the cooling area unless you are running about 8,000 rpm's

One thing at all of these races so far is the presence of radiator clogging mud. It was really thick and sticky in GA. Our raditor looked like a wall after 10 laps. We blasted it with the pressure washer and filled the bottle and kept riding.

Now it would have been fine for a GNCC or harescramble.

I have been looking to make a couple possible upgardes to either get an inline oil cooler or possibly bigger radiator to keep this machine cooler for these longer races.

I would say it just needs subtle improvements.

GDITheman

#13 Post by GDITheman »

i'm trying to talk a couple buddies into running the baja 100 next year. it's a pipe dream, but do you think the 468 is a good setup for something like that?

Derno24

#14 Post by Derno24 »

Plenty of power and could definitely do well in that environment. If we get these machines to run a little cooler than it should be good for that and more.

kdeal

#15 Post by kdeal »

The desert would be a different animal Derno. The higher speeds would definitely cool a lot better than the slower speeds of woods racing.

Derno24

#16 Post by Derno24 »

True, but the course we were on wasn't very tight at all. Besides a Cannondale won the overall at a Baja already so we know it could be done.

Josh

Baja...

#17 Post by Josh »

I will be taking my Blaze down as a chase vehicle and will be running the whole course as race support for our Class 7 open truck. So far the longest run I have on it has been 3.5hrs mostly wide open 4th and into 5th, and no signs or troubles or overheating, bike has one of Doug's first Falicon kits as well as the 450cc upgrade (Plus whatever else Lurker did to it). I will keep all posted as time nears. There's also talk of having me RACE the 1000.smile.gif

kdeal

#18 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by Derno24
True, but the course we were on wasn't very tight at all.  Besides a Cannondale won the overall at a Baja already so we know it could be done.

Derno,

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that cooling is the biggest issue on the Dale after the updates you have done for reliability. Mud is stating to seem like a real problem for the Dales in these events. The pressure washer was a smart move.

Derno24

#19 Post by Derno24 »

Definitely correct kdeal. We even took care of Haydug's machine twice. I agree that the Baja is a different animal.

iceracer17

#20 Post by iceracer17 »

When i built a crf quad i bought a nice big 250r radiator from gt thunder and never had a problem.Just something to check into,but may have to make brackets for it.

Just a thought