Oh boy a new toy

wistech

#101 Post by wistech »

Got the engine in today. Hooked up the new fuel lines and without exhaust, radiator or even a fuel tank I cranked it over just to see if everything was hooked up right. Dam thing fired up and idled for about 10 seconds!!!. This baby wants to run. biggrin.gif Had to find a Harley map in the old laptop. Been a while since I used Harley injectors. Hmm need to hook up the chain and plastic and see how 58 hp does in a bike. I will just cut up my drivers license before the test drive to get that out of the way. LOL Might need to call a medic as well.

thedeatons

#102 Post by thedeatons »

PLEASE TELL US.... !!!! 48hp is super fun in mine.... 10 more hp would be awesome!

On another note, my 48hp was with a quad rear end.... Everyone agree that I should be within my rights to claim 52hp with a dirtbike rear end? I've heard from multiple sources there is about a 4hp difference in drivetrain loss. I'm on a knobby though, so that takes a couple horses out....

Dyno John, DYNO! That will tell us how much one wheel and a short axle gains us!

wistech

#103 Post by wistech »

This engine has already been dynoed at 58. It's sputtering like a pig at half throttle with the quiet core in it. I am currently doing a little work on it but in town is kind of tough as the speed limit is 25mph. We don't have any maps for a 505 with quiet cores so tonight the stock muffler gets ripped out and the fmfs are going on. It can start out in fourth gear no problem now. LOL THe power wheelies are fun too. Need to gear up waaaaaayyy more. I did pass Tony at over a hundred today. He was riding his rocket and blew past me doing 130 as I let off.

As far as dyno results you know the rules. No adding numbers. What you did was dyno a trike not a quad not a bike.

thedeatons

#104 Post by thedeatons »

Yeah, pretty much a quad dyno number... Okay, just wondering. It will be nice to see what your dirtbike rear end does on the dyno!

Have you tried a 16/45 gear ratio on it? Mine is perfect with that. I posted the KTM 16T part number on daler in the gearing for dual sport thread.

Don't forget to check out the pics I posted on the Cyclone+250R filter setup on the bike. It works spectacularly!

wistech

#105 Post by wistech »

Im running 15/45 gearing which makes 1,2and 3 pretty much dangerous to use while riding as it will flyswat you into the pavement before you can react . Starting out from a stop in 3rd or 4th is fairly safe. I have 16/40 gearing on order. Looks like I am on my own for mapping as I dont think there has ever been a map built for a 505 with a quiet core and stock ported airbox. Way too rich in the midrange. I think I will build something like a 460 or a 432 for the tard and put this engine back in the quad.

thedeatons

#106 Post by thedeatons »

Why not gear it tall like you mentioned then use a cyclone and an open X440 can? Throw a quad rear end on it and dyno tune it, then we will have a 505 dirtbike map!!!

wistech

#107 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Sep 1 2008, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not gear it tall like you mentioned then use a cyclone and an open X440 can? Throw a quad rear end on it and dyno tune it, then we will have a 505 dirtbike map!!!

You want me to build a map for a machine that doesn't exist. What's the point of using a quad rear axle? Any map built for this engine will not work with any other 505 anyway.

thedeatons

#108 Post by thedeatons »

I was just thinking it would be nice.... The more base maps the better I guess. Doesn't really matter.

The purpose of the quad rear end was so you guys could tune it at your local quad dyno. I actually forget that you had street tires on it, so any motorcycle dyno would work.

Are you going to run a comparion test on a dyno with it, to see how much the dirtbike drivetrain gains in hp against a quad drivetrain? That would also be some good information.

Nickc711

#109 Post by Nickc711 »

I thought it would be to show all the other 3 wheelers on the road who is boss..lol

thedeatons

#110 Post by thedeatons »

Oh yah!