Indy Dealer Show

marshall100

#101 Post by marshall100 »

What do we know about highland? the company is ten years old and based in sweden, is this the first foray into engine building for quads or is there a history of them doing things we don't really know about?

Personally I'm waiting for my engine to go pop and an easy replacement to fit is most welcome, it's that or I go down the jap route that many others will have done in terms of changing my quad. I always compare my dale to owning/running a high performance sports car. Great when it runs but a pain in the backside when it's sat in the garage demanding more attention.

cannondale27

#102 Post by cannondale27 »

Jess the only problem I have with Highland is not the machine itself but the way they are going about introducing it. We had similar with ATK. Most of the public believed they were actually manufacturing the machines when in fact 99% of it was leftover parts or even used parts. Then there were machines sold that werent even built to spec. All with new serial #'s and titles. I believe Highland and ATK would "like" to do what they say and they say what they do to raise $ from investors but its just a wish right now. I guess its not any of my business if someone invests $ into a wish but when they actually sell the things and friends get sucked into it then it becomes LIES. Then it does concern me. Some of these guys defending Highland right in this thread personally had to fix or find out the issues ATK had themselves. Must not have bothered them as much as it did me. I personally was handed a Highland motor and told to feel just how light it is. The Highland guy said it was a complete motor. He was lying to everyone he handed it to. There was nothing in it. That type of salesmanship seems to continue to this day. Just don't want to see it happen again. So if your keeping score its not us haters who threw out the first bunch of bull it was them.

Scooter

#103 Post by Scooter »

Come on Steve I was standing there when you picked up the motor and he said it did not have a transmission in it. I have heard these machines run and I have worked with people that know a lot about the motor and said they saw it produce the HP but in a very narrow power band. I know it can be done but can you ride a machine with a power band 1000 rpm wide, I can't but I would love to try. They know that the powerband is to narrow but it can be widened up but with a loss of peak we all know how that works. The bikes are all Highland and I saw them when they first came out 10 years ago or so, they have been around for that long. I know Travis and he did what he was asked to do and did it the best he could and a piece of art was created. Yes it is a C'Dale chassis witch is very simillar to the 250 R but know one complained about that. They will build there own chassis when time permits and it will have a similar geometry I think. If it does not cost you money or directly impact your life then I say let them be and see what happens. Give these guys a break. Just my thoughts.

Scooter

cannondale27

#104 Post by cannondale27 »

Scooter you know that was wrong. It was missing more than tranny! Doesn't really matter. Was just a example of one thing. I hope they can make a USA made quad and bike. Would be awesome we will see. Just don't trust them.

kdeal

#105 Post by kdeal »

I knew he couldn't just sit in the shadows...... tongue.gif

MX Quad Dad

#106 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Scooter @ Feb 24 2010, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Come on Steve I was standing there when you picked up the motor and he said it did not have a transmission in it. I have heard these machines run and I have worked with people that know a lot about the motor and said they saw it produce the HP but in a very narrow power band. I know it can be done but can you ride a machine with a power band 1000 rpm wide, I can't but I would love to try. They know that the powerband is to narrow but it can be widened up but with a loss of peak we all know how that works. The bikes are all Highland and I saw them when they first came out 10 years ago or so, they have been around for that long. I know Travis and he did what he was asked to do and did it the best he could and a piece of art was created. Yes it is a C'Dale chassis witch is very simillar to the 250 R but know one complained about that. They will build there own chassis when time permits and it will have a similar geometry I think. If it does not cost you money or directly impact your life then I say let them be and see what happens. Give these guys a break. Just my thoughts.

Scooter

Sorry Scooter but I disagree, I don't know what went on at that show but, if some tries to show you how light an engine is, it should be complete. even without the trans makes no sence. it won't go anywere without the trans. building an engine with that kind of powerband just so you can boost about the big number is just wrong, at least if you are trying to atracted customers with it.

About the chassis? I just don't know what to make of it. First off it looks to me as we have another bike manufacture that can't get there sales up enough and trying to compete with the jap bikes on the track is tough but they love bike and have a dream. all good but, they decide to tinker with the ideal of a quad because it is a fast growing market and maybe they have one or two guy that love quads and they talked them into it.

In my opinion, going into production with a couple hundred quads with a second (third) hand frame just sounds like a bad ideal to me. Its hard enough to sell quads when the public knows there is a up grade (if you want to call a cromemoly frame an upgrade) right around the corner.

I don't know how much they saved by useing a dale chassie but, I would think they would have been better off getting a aftermarket r chassie and they would at least be starting out with something close to what they intend to be working twards

I don't like the way they are marketing the quad, thats all. I do wish them luck and maybe someday I will own one. I also feel anyone here has the right to say how they feel about the quad or the how they are marketing it

cannondale27

#107 Post by cannondale27 »

Well I just got the April issue of Dirtwheels today and I have to say I am impressed with the NEW Highland article. This is what should have been done right away. Seemed factual and didnt hide anything. That was all I asked for. Good Luck Highland!

Kuma

#108 Post by Kuma »

I'm just sitting in the shadows ph34r.gif

just to through in my $.02
I think it's a pretty slick looking 'dale hybrid
should not be called anything else at this time.
I'm pretty sure that many have seen the 250R 'dale hybrid. didn't see this much comments.
I agree with Steve, I think unsure.gif, the biggest problem was them coming out claiming to have a NEW quad when all they have is a test bed for a motor that hasn't been used in a quad before.

I wish them all the luck, if they want to start producing new Cannondale frames and have purchased all the rights then call it whatever you like. "a rose by any other name is still a rose" it will still be a hybrid to anyone familiar with the Cannondale.

cannondale27

#109 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes Kuma.You get it.In the new article they explain that it is a hybrid and dont really make any hp claims other than its fast.They even mention the Cannondale frame and the situation with ATK and Highland.

kdeal

#110 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 24 2010, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I just got the April issue of Dirtwheels today and I have to say I am impressed with the NEW Highland article. This is what should have been done right away. Seemed factual and didnt hide anything. That was all I asked for. Good Luck Highland!

Steve, don't let your guard down so easy.... wink.gif I think you should be damn proud that they couldn't find anything better to put their motor into than OUR Cannondale frame smile.gif

I am really interested in the fuel injection system. You need to do a test on a Dale engine with one. I am totally curious on how it works. We could use all of own sensors and make a complete two way system the whole way! Timbo needs to make you a billet one!