Oh boy a new toy

wistech

#111 Post by wistech »

I think the 505 is going back in a quad as soon as I build a 460 to replace it. That just to much torque for a bike on the low end. The twist throttle just can't modulate the beast enough for safe low speed driving. And driving around chugging the engine looks to be **** on the chain as its slapping with every fire of the piston. It sagged about 2 inches from last week.

thedeatons

#112 Post by thedeatons »

You can change the map parameters in ProCal to give you a much more granular low TP picture. Mine used to be 2%, 5%, 7%, now I have .7%, 2%, 3%, 5%, 7%.... I was able to tune some lag into my low end for putt-ing around, but when I twist it open its ON!

wistech

#113 Post by wistech »

[attachment=7042:09_06_08_1713.jpg]We took the tards out to a new spot today. Gravel roads and a sand pit. I find slicks and soft sand not a good combo. Tony managed to carve the pile behind my Tard in the pic. Then proceeded to get stuck at the top of the mound. LOL I think I found the right combo for the exhaust. I installed the 400ex glasspack quiet core in a enourmous 18" long fmf exhaust and its now nicely toned. I had to take a lot of fuel out of mid range to lean it out but it's running so much better now. It's actually drivable. When I get my new gearing in I am confident this bike will have a top speed of well over the 100mph that the stocker put out. I'm guessing 115, 120. I hooked up my tach and coolant sensors as well. Mounting the sensor in the lower tank shows how effective the radiator is. When moving the coolant drops belower 100 degrees going back into the engine. We need a thermostat bad on these machines or perhaps a set of shutters for the radiator.

thedeatons

#114 Post by thedeatons »

Your Dale looks much meaner in comparison...

Flywheel cover, where for art though?

wistech

#115 Post by wistech »

Flywheel cover? I don't run them much. Can't see if the flywheel spins. Plus you can polish your shoes with them. Here's the Big Kahuna exhaust. It's double the length of the stock cut down can. Silence is golden and less federales. I need to get a pavement shield and flip the FMF emblem over yet.

Now it has power and I adjusted the shocks and forks its actually pretty sweet to ride now. Tony even volunteered to adjust the chain so it doesn't drag on the ground. LOL

cannondale27

#116 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Sep 7 2008, 05:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[attachment=7042:09_06_08_1713.jpg]We took the tards out to a new spot today . Gravel roads and a sand pit. I find slicks and soft sand not a good combo. Tony managed to carve the pile behind my Tard in the pic. Then proceeded to get stuck at the top of the mound.LOL I think I found the right combo for the exhaust. I installed the 400ex glasspack quiet core in a enourmous 18" long fmf exhaust and its now nicely toned . I had to take a lot of fuel out of mid range to lean it out but its running so much better now. Its actually drivable . When I get my new gearing in I am confident this bike will have a top speed of well over the 100mph that the stocker put out. Im guessing 115 120. I hooked up my tach and coolant sensors as well. Mounting the sensor in the lower tank shows how effective the radiator is. When moving the coolant drops belower 100 degrees going back into the engine. We need a thermostat bad on these machines or perhaps a set of shutters for the radiator.

Cool! I was looking for a thermostat housing at Sled Swapmeet. Only one I found was pretty ratty but they are out there. So where did you mount the Power Commander on the bike?

wistech

#117 Post by wistech »

The piggyback units can fit behind the airbox but I am sticking with the 1000ecm on the tard (because its starts good)so no need for one. Just need to finish the map.

cannondale27

#118 Post by cannondale27 »

wistech

#119 Post by wistech »

Stock verses modded engine. Quiet core muffler and stock airbox. Run 23 was as ridden. Mr9 only gave 1 horse above pump gas. The higher runs were from removing the heavily oiled air filter. Removing the seat made no difference in power. I didn't realize till I dynoed that the seat is part of the intake system which channels air from the rear fender. That may be why intake noise is louder from the rear. I think I will seal off the airbox better to keep hot air from getting to it from the engine and frame rails.

thedeatons

#120 Post by thedeatons »

Your charts look great!!

I'm a bit disappointed though, we just got 54hp out of a 460 with Timbo-like porting and crazy cam timing. I was hoping for quite a bit more with a 505 and less drivetrain loss... Mind if I ask a couple questions?

#1 How did this engine dyno in a quad

#2 Any changes made to timing when going to the bike, or was it a straight swap?

#3 Which exhaust were you using?

#4 Just curious why you didn't try a Cyclone and 250R filter:)smile.gif?