Is 60HP possible?

Pro400EXC

#121 Post by Pro400EXC »

Just add boost....I mean they made a 400ex w/ a turbo...she ripped..so imagine a dale..Plus we have fuel-injection..so we can fine tune it..well maybe not fine..but tune it to work...Maybe a nice small front mount intercooler and some water/meth injection..call it a day?hehe

I dunno...maybe i am talkin out my arse..

wistech

#122 Post by wistech »

Originally posted by Speed 1B
A big reason its hard to make horsepower on the dales is indeed the cyclinder head. The design of the exhaust port is the biggest flaw of all. The way the exhaust port is designed it makes it nearly impossible to open the port up. If you could do somthing on the exhaust side you could make some major horse power...but the way the headpipe bolts on really screws things up there. Another big horsepower loss is valve float...the cannondales have a major issue with floating valves. I know with my rev limit up around 13,500 rpms i cant keep valve springs in it. Kibblewhite says that their springs will take the abuse. We will find out.

What do you mean hard to make horsepower? My first dyno engine pulled 51 with no exotic parts.. The peak power is around 8,000 to 9,000 rpm with the strokers. The exhaust and headpipe will be dealt with soon. There are several of us working on it already. I intend to be at 55 to 60 with my next engine.

Speed 1B

#123 Post by Speed 1B »

I may need to rephrase myself from my previous thread....What i meant was that it is hard to achieve as good of flow as you could from other heads by the way the exhaust port is designed on the cannondale. Therefore it is harder to make horsepower by porting, compared to other machines. We too are looking at the exhaust port and the headpipe to see if we can modify it to make much, much better flow. That is a huge problem with that head.

timbomoose

#124 Post by timbomoose »

The way the exhaust port is designed it makes it nearly impossible to open the port up. If you could do somthing on the exhaust side you could make some major horse power...

Speed 1b is right. Huge gains can be made on the intake side compared to only minimal on the exhaust.Problem being to close to water.Working on ways around it.Still there are still VERY BIG gains BEING made by porting ,but could be more so if there was more room to work with on the exhaust.50+hp already accomplished on pump gas under 450cc legal motor,just like wistech said on almost all stock parts,but the 60hp is going to be a little harder and the stock injectors won't flow enough for that hp.

wanablaze

#125 Post by wanablaze »

Tim,
After hearing a little sneak peak about the 505, you may have to edit your last comment...

Speed 1B, several members of this site have been considering the head design. Rather than change it, we could get the burnt gases (exhaust) out a different way. For instance, more duration on the intake cam. However, somebody would need to build and test the cams and check for exhaust valve to piston clearances.

Speed 1B

#126 Post by Speed 1B »

The best way to increase flow is with a good set of cams, good port work, and the FMF Ti exhaust. Right now i am working with Wade Wilcox on getting a new head. He claims that my current head, which was his first design, has over a 25% increase in flow over a stock head. Thats huge. Right now he is working on an all new head design with cnc machined ports and injector bungs to insure that each port and bung is exactally the same as the other. This will make the head more efficent. He is also using all new Ti valves with a special valve seat. Wade believes this new design will have approx a 30-35% increase in flow.Thats even "huger." Instead of having the "hats" on the Injectors there will now be a fuel rail. Wade is also making new throttle bodies to use with the ported heads. If you have more air going out, you certainly need more coming in. Ill have the head and the throttle body by halloween and will post the rusluts here as soon as i get it together. And finally i just bought a brand new never mounted FMF Ti Exhaust system. I know for a fact that there is not a pipe out there that will make the horsepower that that pipe will. If you have a big bore and some port work, the other exhausts are killing you. Its been dyno proven, and i am guilty of running a stock head pipe until now. As far as cams, i just sent my cams to web to be re-ground and hard welded. I did alot of research on the cams out there and web had the best specs, follwed by the Fx cams. That will help flow too.
Now i know what you are all thinking about Wade...Well let me give you my honest oppinion on him.Wade has been there for me ever since i started racing this machine. When he was at Southbay we had a good realtionship and we have had one ever since. I know alot of people felt they got screwed by Wade. You can feel that way, thats fine. But i know the things Wade was dealing with at the time of his troubles last year and i dont think there is anyone here who could have dealt with them any better than Wade did. Wade is a good guy and he is working very hard to redeem himself. One thing is for sure...If anyone is going to make strides as far as the cannondale motors, its going to be wade. There is no body out there better i will guarantee it.

Dale512

#127 Post by Dale512 »

Speed 1B, think you'll be able to post some pics of the new Fuel Rail & headsetup once you get it? Sounds pretty interesting.

cannondale27

#128 Post by cannondale27 »

I can post a pic of one I made(fuelrail)But you can only use it if you have injectors reangled.

One thing is for sure...If anyone is going to make strides as far as the cannondale motors, its going to be wade. There is no body out there better i will guarantee it.

There are plenty of people making strides with our motors.Timbo especially but the more people involved the better for sure.I would really welcome Wade if he got on here and posted once in awhile.

Speed 1B

#129 Post by Speed 1B »

I will definitely post pictures when I get this set-up. Wade called me Friday and things seem to be going well. I should have the head and fuel rail in the next couple weeks and the throttle body by Thanksgiving. I??????????????????m sorry if I offended anyone with my reply about wade being the best. I just was simply voicing my opinion about my trust in wade and his abilities as an engine builder. I??????????????????m NOT taking a thing away from Timbo, Winky, or anyone else trying to be an innovator. I think anyone willing to try something new is doing a good thing. I apologize if I offended anyone. I??????????????????m just really excited for this motor....I??????????????????m pumped.

cannondale27

#130 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats great.A bit of competition never hurt anyone right?You might want to ask Wade if you can post pics.Most engine builders wouldnt like that.Especially porting.Perfectly understandable.