Oh boy a new toy

wistech

#121 Post by wistech »

So far the drive train loss theory has been a bust. The engine dynoed 58 hp with a set of duals in a quad with a cyclone intake. No changes to cam timing. Just a decomp adjustment before the swap. Exhaust is the stock headpipe with a huge FMF can and fmf quiet core. This is a street bike and I didnt feel like wasting any more time and money tuning for something it will never use. I kept the stock airbox for ease of use,noise levels and since there is less than a horse difference from the cyclone to a ported bike stack does it really matter?
Im not sure what the 54 hp out a 460 has to do with this machine. Ive gotten 55 out of a 460 a couple years back in quad chassis. Im sorry that my street legal record setting bike doesnt meet your expectations so i guess you will have to beat it big shot. LOL

cannondale27

#122 Post by cannondale27 »

I am sure with intake and removal of quiet cores it would probably have at least equaled the 58hp in quad but really its not enough to justify.I get a kick out of everyone wanting all these comparisons yet where are their charts?Deatons show us your charts and the comparisons you have done.

thedeatons

#123 Post by thedeatons »

LOL.... Didn't mean to bust yer chops.... I was just comparing the displacement. 58hp sounds much better, as that is a 4hp gain over the stock stroke 460 that I mentioned getting 54hp. Plus your bike probably has GOBS of torque with that stroker!

It's a neat comparison seeing all this, because you know what you're going to get (powerwise) for the money you spend.

I think you would have seen a LOT more power over the stock airbox though, due to it's size, and how the filter pulls air in. Did you notice the picture of the 250R filter on mine (on cannondaler.com)? You can see how it has more access to air. Some say it is hotter air which is of course bad, but who knows... It dyno'd pretty much the same as the same setup in a quad, which means the airbox/inlet restriction of the dirtbike is easy to get rid of with this setup. You may be right though, still about 1hp....

Glad to see that you did dyno it. That's great to see the finished numbers.

Question: Did you dyno it on a motorcycle dyno or a quad dyno, that may also make a difference...

thedeatons

#124 Post by thedeatons »

Comparisons of what? I was just asking questions....

I should have done a stock airbox comparison vs my cyclone/250R, but it was about 11pm when we dyno'd mine, on a weekday...

You guys are the kings of dyno comparisons anyway. Most of the rest of us simply follow what you guys prove makes horsepower. We are glad to have you!

wistech

#125 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Sep 23 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL.... Didn't mean to bust yer chops.... I was just comparing the displacement. 58hp sounds much better, as that is a 4hp gain over the stock stroke 460 that I mentioned getting 54hp. Plus your bike probably has GOBS of torque with that stroker!

It's a neat comparison seeing all this, because you know what you're going to get (powerwise) for the money you spend.

I think you would have seen a LOT more power over the stock airbox though, due to it's size, and how the filter pulls air in. Did you notice the picture of the 250R filter on mine (on cannondaler.com)? You can see how it has more access to air. Some say it is hotter air which is of course bad, but who knows... It dyno'd pretty much the same as the same setup in a quad, which means the airbox/inlet restriction of the dirtbike is easy to get rid of with this setup. You may be right though, still about 1hp....

Glad to see that you did dyno it. That's great to see the finished numbers.

Question: Did you dyno it on a motorcycle dyno or a quad dyno, that may also make a difference...

It was dynoed on the same dyno same rollers as I have always used.
Here is the exact same engine in a quad vrs the bike. The red line is the quad. The only major difference is the quad had a 500ecm and a prototype dual open exhaust. Looks like pretty much the same power.
I would also like to see all these high hp dyno charts you keep speaking of. Not the coulda woulda shoulda ones you keep adding up in your head. I can only post the ones the machine churns out . I dont add woulda coulda shoulda power like some seem to do. Show me a Cannondale bike that can beat this number and maybe i will be motivated to beat it.

wistech

#126 Post by wistech »

You know what is funny . The 500ecm had a pretty straight afr and the pulling the filter off the airbox on the bike made it go wild . The 500ecm had all these torque boosts all over the place yet never lost power.

cannondale27

#127 Post by cannondale27 »

Its wierd that both systems had such a split AFR.Rich at begining.I wonder if something is common there.Injectors?

thedeatons

#128 Post by thedeatons »

Which of my made up dyno charts would you like to see Wistech?

Don't forget that you invented fudging on the dyno with no stators, etc..... I'm not fudging anything.

Dude, why are you so uptight? Is that just yer nature? I'm just asking a few questions for goodness sake...

I'm not annoyed, just curious. Seems like you don't take questions well. I try to ask them as tactfully as possible.

My bike made 48hp, I posted the chart on my build page. Cdsracer tuned his wife's ported 460 (his own porting with a WWE piston) to 54hp on the same night as my bike. We have the chart here.... Is that what yer looking for?

You should know I'm truthful by now, I've eaten my words before, posted my charts, posted dynamic balance charts.... I'm simply trying to play nice with you guys and bench race here.... Am I allowed?

wistech

#129 Post by wistech »

[quote name='thedeatons' date='Sep 23 2008, 09:45 PM' post='196507']
Which of my made up dyno charts would you like to see Wistech?
The answer to that is just look at the dyno section and count up all the in depth dyno test posted by THE DEATONS . Im not very good at math but I can see ZERO

Don't forget that you invented fudging on the dyno with no stators, etc..... I'm not fudging anything.

Excuse me ....fudging ? Testing horsepower difference between charging and noncharging systems is fudging results? Its called R@D . If I did it and didnt come on a forum and say I did that would be "fudging" and that is the difference . The only fudging I have ever witnessed was Tim changing the dyno screen setting from STD to claim 60hp . It just shows your character for even using that as a argument.

Dude, why are you so uptight? Is that just yer nature? I'm just asking a few questions for goodness sake...

I'm not annoyed, just curious. Seems like you don't take questions well. I try to ask them as tactfully as possible.
I just posted a pic of my exhaust a few posts back, tell what its made of and how I did and you ask "what exhaust are you using?" WTF? Ya I do get annoyed .

My bike made 48hp, I posted the chart on my build page. Cdsracer tuned his wife's ported 460 (his own porting with a WWE piston) to 54hp on the same night as my bike. We have the chart here.... Is that what yer looking for? Chart here? Where? And again what does it have to do with my bike?

You should know I'm truthful by now, I've eaten my words before, posted my charts, posted dynamic balance charts.... I'm simply trying to play nice with you guys and bench race here.... Am I allowed?

See thats the difference between you and me . I dont bench race . When I build a race engine it only gets what I can prove will make power. Your Timbo ported bike supposedly made 48 hp What was the baseline run? 35? 45? Then you have the gall to come on my post and tell me you expected more from my homebuilt street legal bike engine. I gained 17horse from the baseline!!!! Did i go on your post wherever it is and insult you and your dyno chart? Did I? I cant explain the whats or why's of some dyno results. I just have the data .

[/quoth

thedeatons

#130 Post by thedeatons »

i just thought it was weird that the amount of extra money spent only resulted in 2-4hp.... I expected more is all... Nevermind...