Oh boy a new toy

wistech

#131 Post by wistech »

Agreed wink.gif

ozarkdaler

#132 Post by ozarkdaler »

John,
This may seem like an odd question but do you feel comfortable on your bike. The reason I ask is because I never could get comfortable on my X and I have rode bikes all of my life. I just could never get used to the way it handled. It was not a power issue it was a reponse issue in the handling. just curious.

wistech

#133 Post by wistech »

The only thing that kind of makes me uncomfortable is the twist throttle. Coming around corners I get the feeling that the rear is going to break loose with a sudden jar of power. Several times though I have hit it too hard while leaned over and it went into leaned over wheelie which I was able just stay with and it straightened up fine. Very spooky but I see they do it all the time on u-tube vids as well. I think a thumb or a different ratio twist will help. Adjusting the forks has made a big difference in the way it feels as well. Since I have never ridden a dirt bike before sand and dirt freak me out. Strangely, I seem most comfortable on wet roads. Factory slicks rock in the wet and are fun to slide out. I won't be up to Tonie's level of insanity for a long time. Maybe never.
I would say start playing with the suspension settings. The tards is a different animal that the dirt bikes so maybe it won't make as much difference.

ozarkdaler

#134 Post by ozarkdaler »

I ended up selling mine cause I never got used to it. Pro Action done the suspension and I messed with it but I guess it was just the slow response I could never get used to. I would say if you were never use to the twist that would definitly be different. It took a while to get used to the thumb throttle on a 4 wheeler for me.

wistech

#135 Post by wistech »

Ive been riding street bikes for 20 years but they really are nothing like touchy response of the twist on the dale.

ozarkdaler

#136 Post by ozarkdaler »

I liked the throttle response of all dales...

thedeatons

#137 Post by thedeatons »

You guys can totally adjust the twitchyness out, I did.

Just change the scale of the throttle position in ProCal. Original scale is like 2%, 3%, 5%, 7%.... I changed mine to .7%, 1%, 2%, 3%, 4%, 5%... Between 1% and 2% there is only a .05 gram of fuel difference (increasing down and down diagonally to the right), then I step it up to .5 grams between 2% and 3%. This way when I crack the throttle open the power comes on soft, then hits hard when I twist more.

You can't add scales to ProCal, so by making the lower portion of the throttle position portion more granular (more of the lower # percentages) you have to take away from a couple of the upper percentages. The ECU still calculates for it htough, as Scooter told us, so it's not hurting anything by doing that.

ozarkdaler

#138 Post by ozarkdaler »

That did not bother me. You ride 2 strokes you will be used to that.

thedeatons

#139 Post by thedeatons »

No doubt it's fine on the dirt, even on the sand dunes.... On the street it is annoying. Back out of the throttle on an exit ramp, coast for a minute, then get back on the throttle to idle up to the stop sign, and the bike jerks violently when given a slight twist.

It's just shotty tuning on the street, like some of the first EFI offering from Suzuki, the 1998 GSXR 750, the throttle was either on or off, and for midcorner throttle applications that on/off tuning just doesn't work on the street. Suzuki buyers had to wait at least a year for the retune, fortunately we can do it in about 30 minutes with ProCal..... smile.gif

wistech

#140 Post by wistech »

I started having and intermittant stall on the tard. After jiggling the wires I found the connector on this power commander was also in need of replacement. The pins are half the size of the regular injector which makes them eventually come loose in the terminal. Good thing I ordered a bag of the updated connectors.