Supporting our Cannondale covergirl

Canniboomer

#151 Post by Canniboomer »

Originally posted by wistech
biggrin.gif
....  With the quad horn and stock filter 45 was the peak.
With the bike horn power jumped to 47.73.
With a ported bike horn 48.05 was achieved .
Surprizingly the cyclone gave the hp same results as the ported bike horn but torque was about a half a pound higher.  So it seems there is a limit to flow with the stock airbox.

getting a bit confused now, but it's all good. Were the plastics bolted on for these tests?.

wistech

#152 Post by wistech »

We are boring out bike air horns to match the bored throttle bodies. So that is considered yet another air horn. This is why the cyclone was made . To match the larger size of the bored throttle bodies. Boring out a rubber air horn make them extremely thin. I developed a process to do it.

No plastics . This quad has seen so much dyno time its barely a drivable chassis because everything in the way has been stripped off. Never take a quad to a dyno with full plastic. My god if you had to change a plug or do any mod changes you would double/triple the cost. Every second counts and if you are not doing dyno work your wasting valuable time. If you are studying the effects of airflow then you will need plastic but otherwise strip it down for 2 minute plug changes and throttle cals. I had 4 airbox bottoms setup with the 4 different horns . We could change them in seconds and hold them together with tie straps a bunge cords.

wistech

#153 Post by wistech »

The afr was good on the top end so flow didnt change much. I had to change flow less than a 100 from where I guessed I should have been going in 25 increments.

Happyboy

#154 Post by Happyboy »

Originally posted by wistech
No need ..the test with the filter in the airbox bottom is exactly like a direct mount and showed 48.43hp as oposed to the stock setup which pulled 48.05.    This particular motor showed power can be had with the stock filter box.  

But, if she puts the plastic back on the quad she will prob loose alot. Thats what I meant by using the boomer intake. She will still get all the air flow she wants that way.

I gotta say, 48hp out of a stock motor with porting is amazing.

wanablaze

#155 Post by wanablaze »

Once the valvetrain gets sorted out, we can raise the rev limiter, right?

tongue.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

cannondale27

#156 Post by cannondale27 »

Originally posted by Happyboy
But, if she puts the plastic back on the quad she will prob loose alot.  Thats what I meant by using the boomer intake.  She will still get all the air flow she wants that way.

I gotta say, 48hp out of a stock motor with porting is amazing.

We will try a plastic on/off run.I think I did run plastic on dyno once or twice.Not sure which runs though.Most of the guys with Hoods say they need to tune after so must be some gain.

jwheat

#157 Post by jwheat »

I know that I had to richen mine up after I added the Quad Tech hood. It allows more air to come right into the filter after you cut the front fenders for it to fit. So I would have to assume that the stock fender setup is restrictive to air flow.

cannondale27

#158 Post by cannondale27 »

Hey the 12hr Race is in Texas this year Oct 28th!Maybe we will all have to go down there and run it if they make 6hrs up here.

Happyboy

#159 Post by Happyboy »

OMG, 12 hour in Texas this year? Ah man, my quad is going to die!! I have the Loretta Lynn's, then dunes, then Missouri races 3 weeks in a row. My quad NEVER gets ridden that mutch!

CDaleChick

#160 Post by CDaleChick »

Originally posted by jwheat
I know that I had to richen mine up after I added the Quad Tech hood. It allows more air to come right into the filter after you cut the front fenders for it to fit. So I would have to assume that the stock fender setup is restrictive to air flow.

remember I am running with fullbore plastics and not stock tongue.gif