battery

badvox

#21 Post by badvox »

Originally posted by Canniboomer

Badvox as for the Koyo version, is it not cranking well?
Or did you just have a problem with the fit?

Both. Solved the fit problem. They dont concave the corners like Yuasa does so its just very solid and a hair bigger seemingly.

The crank though bothers me. Yesterday I went to ride it and it wasnt that cold and 3 shots to get it going. I dont know maybe Im being picky? I had my D&M hooked up and catching data transactions and it sucked the life out of it in those 3 shots.

Battery voltage went up quick but initially it was getting its arse kicked by cranking.

~mike

badvox

Re: Battery

#22 Post by badvox »

Originally posted by DMAC10
So which battery would be the better way to go?

Yuasa YTZ-14s

Koyo KTZ-14s

There's abot $20 difference between the 2.

I currently run the 2 battery system for GNCC, so if I go with one of these, would I still need the 2nd battery?????

I'm open for suggestions.

Personally would go with the Yuasa if I had it to do over again.

~mike

banzairx7

#23 Post by banzairx7 »

Originally posted by badvox
Both.  Solved the fit problem.  They dont concave the corners like Yuasa does so its just very solid and a hair bigger seemingly.

The crank though bothers me.  Yesterday I went to ride it and it wasnt that cold and 3 shots to get it going.  I dont know maybe Im being picky?  I had my D&M hooked up and catching data transactions and it sucked the life out of it in those 3 shots.  

Battery voltage went up quick but initially it was getting its arse kicked by cranking.  

~mike

Found a trick to getting these things going when its cold. Crank it for a few seconds, stop. Then just tap the start button. then crank it again and should fire right up. At the group ride last year we used this trick on a few bikes.

Canniboomer

#24 Post by Canniboomer »

I'm anxious to order the genuine Yuasa also, just for more comparison. But this Koyo Z-series is impressive out of the box, and Easy E has been having great success with a similar (Taiwan) version -- but these are quite different than the normal 12 that Mike bought, so we can't really compare, yet.

I can't see needing 2 batteries when using the Z-14's since the total CCA and 11 Amp-hours is probably greater than the original dual battery setup that was a stocker 9 plus normal 5 or 7. Somebody might look it up, but I bet it was less than 230CCA and more weight up front.

Derno24

#25 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by Canniboomer
I'm anxious to order the genuine Yuasa also, just for more comparison.  But this Koyo Z-series is impressive out of the box, and Easy E has been having great success with a similar (Taiwan) version -- but these are quite different than the normal 12 that Mike bought, so we can't really compare, yet.

I can't see needing 2 batteries when using the Z-14's since the total CCA and 11 Amp-hours is probably greater than the original dual battery setup that was a stocker 9 plus normal 5 or 7.  Somebody might look it up, but I bet it was less than 230CCA and more weight up front.

Huh? When running a double battery set-up you are at 24volts not 12. Kinda hard to compare a 14 to that when you are still limited to 12 volts. Should it be better than stock sure, but nothing spind a starter like 24 volts!smile.gif

Canniboomer

#26 Post by Canniboomer »

I see......... but wow, maybe try using a Z14 plus a Z7 for 340 CCA!.. somebody should be the first!, you still almost double the CCA, with one battery or two...... but too much racing weight maybe with 2 of these higher density versions, huh? biggrin.gif

kdeal

#27 Post by kdeal »

Derno & Boomer,

The difference would be marginal due to 1/2 the amperage in the 24 volt set-up. You don't double the amperage when wired in series (24v) as you do when you run them in parallel (12V).

DMAC10

Huh????

#28 Post by DMAC10 »

So for those of us that are mechanically and electronically challenged:eek:

What does this mean.Which way appears to be the most beneficial.

I would love to eliminate the 2nd battery set-up, because I've fried 2 batteries due to the connections getting knocked loose during a race. I hit a lot of trees ( OUCH )

So the final answer might be?????????????

1. YUASA YTZ-14s
2. YUASA YTZ-14s and YUASA -7
3 or ????????????????????

I'm getting a new battery so opinions welcomed.

kdeal

Re: Huh????

#29 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by DMAC10
So for those of us that are mechanically and electronically challenged:eek:

What does this mean.Which way appears to be the most beneficial.

I would love to eliminate the 2nd battery set-up, because I've fried 2 batteries due to the connections getting knocked loose during a race.    I hit a lot of trees ( OUCH )

So the final answer might be?????????????

1.  YUASA YTZ-14s
2.   YUASA YTZ-14s and YUASA -7
3   or ????????????????????

I'm getting a new battery so opinions welcomed.

Go with the biggest CCA battery you can fit into the space. I would love to recommend the YTZ-14S battery but I have not tried it personally and it is a very tight fit by those that have tried it. I personally run the 12 series battery Derno has been talking about, BUT I don't race. So see if you can get the 14 series battery to fit, it is by far the best option as so much as performance, and it equals or betters the two battery set-up in the way of CCA.

DMAC10

Caniboomer

#30 Post by DMAC10 »

I sent you a P.M.