whats with atk

joedirt

#21 Post by joedirt »

Who's to say the suzuki's weren't revalved.

I think the guy deserves a little credit.

cannondale27

#22 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (haydug @ Dec 29 2006, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahhhh! But, it would not be allowed in the "stock" class, so tell me why the ATK was allowed?

I agree kind of.He did win the first few races on a bone stock one just like a Cannibal but then got shocks and axle etc.I thought ATK gave him that stuff.To be legal they should have given him a whole Moto.As far as TCS doing his shocks yea kinda bogus but that is one that I bet others on Suzukis also did.The biggest issue really is calling ATK factory stock.Thier really is no factory and what would keep Walsh,Baldwin,Leager or anyone else from building a few quads and running them in stock class?The idea that a simple switch of a ID tag makes a ATK moto out of a Cannibal really crosses a line.Then again everything is outsourced nowadays at any factory.Frames,motors,shocks everything.What makes a factory quad?That said He won that class by going to more races and winning or doing alright at them.That is what it take to win a National class very,very few people have the time,commitment or money to do that.

Guy310

#23 Post by Guy310 »

You might revalve one of the suzukis, but you are talking about the difference between long travel and regular travel. Also, you could not change the springs on the zuk without sticking out like a sore thumb. In my opinion I would rather have the right spring setup than valving if I had to choose. For example, the guy who won at Redbud in that class weighs 240lbs., he is a friend of mine. Now, I know he didn't revalve, but I don't care what valving you could possibly put in that quad(he was on a zuk), you could never make it right without spring changes. He won that race by a country mile and they DQ'ed him for having an A/C bumper. Stock exhaust, airbox lid, no cherry bomb, etc. and he gets sacked for a bumper. Now compared to an ATK with Ohlins long travel, Ti FMF, etc. you are not comparing apples to apples. Now, imagine the poor sucker I saw on a stck Honda 450, maybe 45 inches wide with those big dopey tires. The class was a joke, not Costellos fault but a joke nonetheless.

cannondale27

#24 Post by cannondale27 »

I dont think concept was a joke.If Cannondale were still around there would be no question that a full blown Moto longtravel and all would be allowed.ATK does offer a Moto version.The big question to answer is if a ATK is a production quad?Most racing forms a certain quantity needs to be made public before that is allowed.

MX Quad Dad

#25 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (haydug @ Dec 29 2006, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahhhh! But, it would not be allowed in the "stock" class, so tell me why the ATK was allowed?

I would have to go back and read the rules, but, I don't believe there is anything aginst rebuilding shocks.

I also thought Ryan's A-arms were protested once, and when ATVA called ATK to confirm if he was running the factory stock arms. they were told yes.

As far as DQing for aftermarkit handlebars, I think ATVA needs to rethink that one. this is a safty issue, probubly more inportant than frame gussets

Guy310

#26 Post by Guy310 »

I don't think revalves are allowed. In GNCC they are but not MX. I can't imagine they would let you tune your shocks but wouldn't let you change bars or a pipe or even an air box lid. They were supposed to be bone stock with the exception of nerf bars. (safety) The class was a joke because of the disparity. The premise of the class was to flesh out the riders abilities as opposed to the quads abilities. The idea was to even things up and have people earn their finish. They didn't want people to be able to buy their way to a win, they wanted people to earn it. I think it is a good concept, but it will be unsuccessful until their is a little more machine parity. If some of you have never seen a National track at the end of the day, you would never want to ride a bone stock anything on it.

To clarify, MX Quad Dad, the DQ was for a super high performance nitro 15HP front bumper. We all know what kind of performance is gained from a front bumper so its not hard to see why he was DQ'ed. It is hardly fair for a guy with an AC front bumper to be running against everybody else with their slow as molasses stock front bumpers.

cannondale27

#27 Post by cannondale27 »

I think they wanted the Manufacturers to step up and try to win with exactly what they sell.Instead it turned out to be who did okay and made the most races.Which is earning a win its not a joke.They made a laughingstock out of it by making some dumb rulings.

Guy310

#28 Post by Guy310 »

Exactly.

peterock

#29 Post by peterock »

if anyone didn't get their contigency from ATK for 2006, send me your information along with proof of race results and series attended, and I'll see what I can do. No gaurantee though. In the title include your name and ATK Contigency.

atkracing@sbcglobal.net

Psychosis

#30 Post by Psychosis »

I still haven't got mine for 05, didn't even sign up for 06 b/c of that.