Ease of neutral

wayneschofield

#21 Post by wayneschofield »

I used to find neutral everytime I wanted 2nd from 1st, especially when climbing a rocky hill that I really didn't want to be falling back down, but could never get it when I wanted to find it..... at least not easily.....

Now it's placed below first I never hit it when I don't want to and it's always there when I go for it..... super, smashing, great...... should be the next 'fix' IMO.....

jesshamner

#22 Post by jesshamner »

I seem to have an easier time finding neutral when my tranny oil is new, but I don't run Redline. There is definitely a difference with good oil though.

Psychosis

#23 Post by Psychosis »

I've had mixed times. One quad was near impossible and the other is very easy, but also was done by ATK back in 05, so they might've actually worked w/it. I never use first though so couldn't tell you on the jumping in while shifting thing. Easy to find when not moving or coming to a stop on command. Haven't tried the other engine I have as it's still not together but is a late model 03.

NRath

#24 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (wistech @ Oct 26 2007, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have seen at least 2 quads that no human no matter how hard they tried would ever be able to get neutral with those quads running. It didnt matter what kind of lube we threw in it.

It is possible that redline shockproof (green sludge) causes so much drag on the shift drum that it helped slow the pawl down so it wont skip through the detent notch. I would rather fix the problem than suffer the drag penalty of that crap.
Yes I think that shockproof is crap and doesnt belong in a gearbox with oil pumps,filters and clutches. Ill bet money that it causes the tranny temps to be hotter and has a measurable power loss.

Guess that explains why my junk is so slow.

Nickc711

#25 Post by Nickc711 »

jesshamner what oil do you run?

jesshamner

#26 Post by jesshamner »

Spectro Golden for me.

speed2424

#27 Post by speed2424 »

QUOTE (Wayne Schofield @ Oct 26 2007, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now it's placed below first I never hit it when I don't want to and it's always there when I go for it..... super, smashing, great...... should be the next 'fix' IMO.....

How do you put it below first?

wayneschofield

#28 Post by wayneschofield »

I have only done a 'temp' job of it for now but this is how I did it....

took the shift drum out

machined a tube in HE30 34mm ID 44mm OD.

I then cut 'shapes' from the ally tube to fill in the voids between the selector fork tracks in the shift drum. I bead blasted the areas and the inside of the fill pieces and bonded them in place with JBweld. I then turned the OD down to size so it's nice and neat.

I then machined the shift fork tracks 60 degrees further round on the two tracks that do 2nd gear and 4th/5th gear. The third track, which does first and third, needed to be machined to bring the selector out of first and into neutral, which is about 25 degrees of rotation on the drum, and then round further to allow the full 60 degree travel to the next detent.

Then I ground (it wouldn't drill) a new location in the shift detent 'hub' for the dowel that lives in the end of the shift drum 120 degree further round. This positions the 'half detent', normally for neutral, in the 'dead' position between fifth and neutral, thus making all the detents from neutral through 1st and up to to 5th proper, full depth, detents.

I have some pics of it all but not on this laptop.... I would have to drag them across from another one if you want to see more of how it was done....

I am having twenty shift drums made to the 'new' design if anyone wants one. They'll be CNCd so if we need more than 20 later it'll be easy getting more done....

cannondale27

#29 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow!Does open up options for gearing.Most racers gear to start in 2nd just to avoid possibility of a neutral shift if starting in first.I havent looked or paid attention lately but is the ratio from 1st to second same jump as from 2nd to 3rd?

wayneschofield

#30 Post by wayneschofield »

.....and with the 'flatshift' kit......?