Oh boy a new toy

J. Delaney

#21 Post by J. Delaney »

Dirtbikes have so much rake and trail that they are pretty stable. I've had my DRZ at 100 a few times and the only instability was caused by the wind buffetting my shoulders. The more power the better. With more power you can adjust your gearing so you can run down the freeway at 70MPH (and not have the engine spinning 8000RPM) and still have bottom end power.

wistech

#22 Post by wistech »

I think I will go with a 460 ,stock cams and set the cam timing for more midrange and not all out power. If its to much it will be another engine to sell for a quad. I will be installing a quad 5th gear as well as a bike basket for tall road gears. With the 16tooth front sprocket it should be good for hyway. I have to drive a few miles to get to the fun twisty roads anyways. Whats the smallest rear sprocket we can get ? It has a 45 on it now.
I am also going to just stick a quiet core from at toaster in the stock exhaust for now until I am ready to build the duals. We were eyeing up the plastic off of the ktm to see if the rear plastic will fit on . The ktm has plastic with space for a muffler under each side.

I think a cyclone might just fit in the airbox as well . if not a ported bike stack will do. I am not sure about the airbox performance. I think it will have to be dyno tested first to see if its worthwhile to install a pod filter. Boomer has a whole bunch of good ideas and is a wealth of knowlegde on these.
I also see that a gsxr kickstand will bolt up with minor mods like drilling on hole in the cradle. I would like to mod the stock stand for durabilty like building it out of billet stainless .
I am kind of pumped up like I was when I first started tearing my Speed apart in 2003 to do updates. Everything on the bikes are crammed in there but there is still room to play .

I have also been doing some research on the history of these things. I did find some cool pics at elkart lake where it was supposedly was raced. I did not know about the safety wire on the race bikes for all the fluid covers. It was number 3 and 74 on the numberplates. I did find a pic of number 4 . Cool stuff.

wistech

#23 Post by wistech »

Looks like the muffler was shortened at one time, so it was a little more effort to make it quiet. I used the mini glass pack off a 400ex and the toaster quiet core together to build a very quiet exhaust. Unfortunatly the intake of the bike is extremely loud just like a cyclone. It should pass a sound test no problem as long as the throttle isn't opened up and just run at rpm instead.

wistech

#24 Post by wistech »

The lighting system is installed at last. It was raining this afternoon so we decided to go out around midnight for the break in run. OMG What a blast. These things rip. Acceleration is crazy with even a stock motor. We hit an industrial park and jumped the sides of some loading docks then it was on through suburbia for some cat and mouse. Shopping malls and car lots .LOL I was not used to the twist and almost dumped it backwards doing a wheelie up a hill. The tires have pretty good traction even in wet grass. We did some hillclimbs up some freshly mowed hills and it squrmed a bit but made it. I didn't have the guts to jump the front steps at a local high school but Tony didn't have any issue with it. LOL Oh ya I am corrupted.

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

This weekend might be a good time for an engine rebuild class as I don't know how long this stocker will hold up. So if any of you guys want to get in on it give me a call. They don't get worked at all in a bike. I see this one has pure water for coolant with a magnesium cover. I did find a couple of flakes in the oil filter so the crank is most likely just starting to decline.

wistech

#26 Post by wistech »

It doesn't really rev that high at all on the highway. I think my Seca is turning faster at the same speeds. One thing I don't like is the ultra hard seat. That needs to be remedied. I had to shorten the Cannondale kickstand about 3 inches to make it work. It is pretty but obviously a bit weak for a kickstand. I think I will make a new one out of stainless steel.

I have to give a big thanks to Canniboomer for hooking me up with all the parts needed to get it street legal.

jesshamner

#27 Post by jesshamner »

I never thought about all those possibilities that you have ridden already. That's pretty cool. So rpms weren't too bad on the highway?

cannondale27

#28 Post by cannondale27 »

I'm Jealous! Looks like a blast.

kdeal

#29 Post by kdeal »

Me too!
tongue.gif

wistech

#30 Post by wistech »

OK, How does one go about practicing drifting- sliding? I know I have to get the skateboard wheels in the axles for when it comes out and it did come with one already. Watching utube vids looks like the bikes can just let the rear end slide without using brakes or anything. What is it about motards that they don't highside and launch the rider like superbikes? High center of gravity, light wieght, sticking your foot out? One thing I also noticed is the toll it takes on your boots.