Need more Octane

jinx44

#21 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (peterock @ Jul 14 2008, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do know if you run 100% ethanol, you have to add something to lubricate the pump and injectors as well.

Yep. Just like running alcohol. Its also lubricant for the valves and rings. Back in the day when i was running methanol in a couple ATVs, I used Klotz Uplon, then switched to Manhattan Oils with scent. Nothing like riding in the woods and seeing everyone behind you try to figure out where that grape smell came from. laugh.gif

That along with condensation are the main reasons you will never see straight alcohols being used as a highway fuel.

Happyboy

#22 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (Speed 1B @ Jul 13 2008, 04:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Happyboy 70 hp on nitrous isnt that impressive to me. Once we get mine tuned in i doubt its far off that. With the nitrous you should be able to make high 80s low 90s hp. Im just basing this on the yfzs/hondas running similar set-ups.

Why spend the money and time for around 5 extra horsepower? If your gonna do it build a real motor and put a real shot to it.

Id put my poor pathetic 64hp against ur nitrous motor anyday. wink.gif

Can I get more out of it? Yeah, sure I can. But I wanted it to keep running so I stopped at a good number. ~73 actually. Without N0S it hit ~60 hp...but gotta keep in mind my intake was blocked some due to the N0S fogger and it was ride ready. I was very happy with it at that time, but might look at doing some weight savings later.

Now, you talking motor vs motor? Or quad vs quad? No way mine would stand a chance with what all you have done to yours.

cannondale27

#23 Post by cannondale27 »

Believe it or not you know the HEET gasline antifreeze in yellow bottles. 99.9% pure methenol. Add some of the oil and good to go!

Speaking of problems with it. We have 10% in all our gas. Fuel stabilizers are not effective with alcohol. Lot of guys finding gummed up carbs in their stored snowmobiles.

Will be doing a E85 dyno test-vs-CamII race gas this wednesday. I believe E85 is 85% Meth.

Speed 1B

#24 Post by Speed 1B »

Spent all day on the phone trying to figure out what fuel to go with. Called the techs at VP, rocket brand, and turbo blue. There are quite a few fuels I can run but the problem is getting it. Nobody carries the really high octane fuels. I'm going to order C14 direct from VP and the shipping is a ball buster.

The tech at VP said the C14 is made just for high rpm high compression engines with no power adders. Basicly the same as the C25 except it's not an approved NHRA fuel. That's what makes the C25 so expensive. The tech said C25 isn't any better than the C14. The C25 is $108.00 for 5 gal! Crazy. The C14 is $77.00.

So hopefully I can get this stuff here and get back on the dyno this weekend.

jinx44

#25 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 15 2008, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Believe it or not you know the HEET gasline antifreeze in yellow bottles. 99.9% pure methenol.

Yep. Speaking of HEET, I would mix 2 bottles of HEET to a gallon of windshield washer fluid to make a 50/50 (water/meth) mix for spraying into the intake tract on my mustang. IAT temps on a 90* day would drop from 140* under boost when running soley on the air-to-air innercooler, to 95* when the windshield washer fluid was sprayed in. That was with the IAT only reading one nozzle. I used two nozzles and the other was behind the IAT. I would imagine the actual temps were well below ambient temperature.

jinx44

#26 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (Speed 1B @ Jul 15 2008, 02:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The tech at VP said the C14 is made just for high rpm high compression engines with no power adders. Basicly the same as the C25 except it's not an approved NHRA fuel. That's what makes the C25 so expensive.

The VP-NHRA deal is bs in my opinion. The ONLY fuel that can be used at an NHRA event is VP, and has to be marked by VP. If you are caught with any other fuel, you will be fined. Don S was caught with unmarked fuel this year and was fined $100,000. This partnership deal is about to bite them in the butt though with the shortage of nitromethane. If you want the whole story, I can post it. I just don't know how interested you guys are in NHRA stuff.

cannondale27

#27 Post by cannondale27 »

I will read it. Post away!

Sad day at dyno today. Peterock and I made the trip only to find a faulty AFR meter and PC Monitor. 4 hrs wasted never made a run. Hoping to get it done before the drags this weekend. Hoping to break 60hp stock stroke 450 and test that E85. If not will be doing it old fashion way.

jinx44

#28 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 16 2008, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will read it.Post away!

Sad day at dyno today.Peterock and I made the trip only to find a faulty AFR meter and PC Monitor.4hrs wasted never made a run.Hoping to get it done before the drags this weekend.Hoping to break 60hp stock stroke 450 and test that E85.If not will be doing it old fashion way.

If you haven't messed with E85 before, just throw in 30% more fuel across the board right off the bat. That will be a good starting baseline.

I know all about the faulty AFR meters. I have 2 junk LM1s laying here beside me now.

NHRA post coming in a minute...

Happyboy

#29 Post by Happyboy »

You have had problems with the LM1? I love mine, and no issues so far!

jinx44

#30 Post by jinx44 »

NHRA and VP rant. Also, NASCAR. LOL

First off, I am big into cars and drag racing, but I absolutely hate the NHRA. Don't get me wrong, standing a few yards from a top fuel car leaving is an experience that is unbelievable. However, NHRA is like NASCAR and has became way too commercialized. This is what happens whenever a sport becomes a business, and it is promoted to people that really have no idea about the machines they are watching. IMO, anytime a sport is broadcasted on TV, it is heading to this direction. The next step is to start plastering the biggest sticker for beer, laundry detergent, insurance, etc on the side. Then there has to be competetion between the drivers to keep people interested. If a single one was walking away a winner every weekend, peoples short attention span would have them looking for something else. So, rules and restrictions are put in place.

You may say, all racing has rules and restrictions. True, but take ATV racing for example. You are restricted to XXXcc. What you do beyond that is all up to you. Porting, carb size, compression, etc. NHRA and NASCAR limit all of those things. There is a list of heads that are allowed in NASCAR. Did you know that the cars can't run the same heads as the trucks? The trucks have much better flow, and NASCAR allows them to so they can run the speeds that the cars can. Of course everyone knows about the restrictor plates that are used to keep all cars even.

Did you know that overhead cams are not allowed in NASCAR? Ford was walking away from everyone using an OHC V8 many years ago. GM and Mopar couldn't keep up, so NASCAR banned OHC, a ban that is still in place today. If you are thinking, "That doesn't makes sense because Toyota only has OHC V8s, and they run in NASCAR", well then you might be surprised to learn they bought the rights to the 305 Chevy, and are running small block chevy based engines in all of the Toyota cars/trucks. Ford has not built a traditional cam-in-block engine for 8 years now. The engine they run in NASCAR hasn't been built for 15 years. Same for GM and Chrysler. However, instead of getting with the times, NASCAR makes them continue to run the old stuff so everyone stays equal.

Fuel injection is also not allowed. I can't think of a single vehicle produced in the past 20 years that wasn't fuel injected.

NHRA is the same way. The engine in a top fuel car is based on a 40 year old design. Everything is restricted. It keeps everyone more even, and Joe Blow that really knows nothing about the engines, tires, suspension, cars, etc just watches a close race. It makes for good TV, and more people start watching. The promoting company gets rich, and the sport looses its identity.

IMO, racing should be a "test ground" for your daily vehicle. This is why Honda and other import manufacturers are able to kill domestic car manufacturers in longevity and fuel economy. They use the latest technologies to race in several series around the world. The information gained is then trickled down into the products you buy. Ford, GM, and Chrysler have no place in US motorsports to test anything anymore. As I mentioned above, when they have tried, the sanctioning body has banned them. As for the OHC thing...Ford did that in '63 and put some of the engines in production street cars as well. After being banned, they dropped the idea. It was another 30 years until Ford built an OHC V8 again. Imagine where engines could be today if they would have kept advancing that technology 30 years earlier.

So that is where my hatred of NHRA and NASCAR comes from. They are just too worried about making a dollar. If you have paid any attention to NHRA the past couple years, you might have seen that Powerade became a sponsor. In doing so, NHRA said that any team who has a competing sports drink (such as gatorade) in their pit area, or has a sponsorship sticker on their clothing or car will be disqualified. That is bullshit in my opinion.

VP decided to become the offical fuel supplier of NHRA. They struck a deal, and all fuel used at an NHRA event must be purchased from VP, and marked by VP. VP makes gas fuels, but does not manufacture nitromethane. All nitromethane is being produced in China. VP does NOT have the right to import it, so they were buying it from an importer and reselling it. Don Schumacher also imported several hundred barrels because they can use it in testing, but not at a race. Don also sells fuel to nostaglia racers, and has sold some in the past to VP, only so he could buy it back to race. He had a barrel in his trailer in April that wasn't VP marked, which is why he recieved the $100K fine.

Fast forward 2 months. China has the Olympics coming up. The Chinese government shut down production of many things in preperation for the Olympics. All hazardous materials were the first to shut down. There has been no manufacture of nitromethane for a month and a half now, and won't be until October. The only major stockpile of nitro is what Don S has. VP and NHRA are sitting on their hands. NHRA won't break contract with VP, and Don S refuses to sell it to VP. NHRA has already banned ANY testing with nitro so the small supply that the teams have won't be burned up. Several teams are already done for the year since they have no fuel. Personally, I don't blame Don for not selling any to VP.

Also, 2 weeks ago, Kalitta was killed in a nitro car. The short shutdown area took the blame for his wreck. In a quick decision, NHRA decided to cut the tracks back to 1000' instead of 1320' for nitro cars. This will give them more shutdown room. VP realized they won't be selling as much nitromethane now (about 2-3 gallons less per pass), and they upped the price. It is said that they want to make X amount of dollars off each race, and selling that much less fuel was cutting back on profits. That is the same reason the NHRA stamped fuel Speed 1B mentioned is higher than a non-stamped fuel.

With less teams racing, and the fuel supply about to dry up, NHRA may possibly not be able to finish out the season with top fuel cars. That is going to hurt their fan base and attendance at the track. All because of a commercial deal with fuel.