I've just been raped!!!!!!!

desertbound

#21 Post by desertbound »

I would think chain slop too, but the loud knock happened without moving. It is coming loudest from the stator/flywheel side. My crank has the z400 bearing and was balanced by crankworks in az. I have not noticed vibration at all with this motor. I'll start with what you all suggest and go from there.

Like I said, no smoke, leaking or power loss. Just a loud noise. The cannondale motor is noisy, but when it got real noisy it was so loud that I could hear it over my exhaust at high rpm. And the knock is definately there. I'll take it apart today and see what is going on.

thedeatons

#22 Post by thedeatons »

Back to the workbench... Better get used to this routine... smile.gif

desertbound

#23 Post by desertbound »

If there is something major wrong, I'm selling it. I have spent over $2,000 to get the motor running. Getting 5 hours out of it is not acceptable. I'll buy a blown up 450, spend $800 to get it running right, and leave it be for a couple seasons. Sure I'll sacrifice some speed and probably only get $1,000 for it, but at this point I don't care.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way this quad handles and how quick it is. I do not have the patience or wallet for this though. I have had it since early may and have put a tank and a half of fuel through it. I have every update known plus more and I get 5 hours out of it??? To my knowledge I have done everything right to build a reliable machine. It just isn't happening so far. I'm frustrated and tired of looking for extra cash to get things fixed.

I hope you are all right and maybe it is something that came loose or an easy/inexpensive fix. I'll have to see.

mydreamride

#24 Post by mydreamride »

Hopefully its something cheap and easy to fix, but it does suck that every little thing to do to the motor it has to be dropped in order to be worked on unlike the jap bikes

67z400

#25 Post by 67z400 »

Bummer, Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope it is nothing serious.

I know the first few rides with my dale I was a bit edgy about the loud noises from the motor, but my exhaust muted the motor once I was mid to upper rpm ranges

speedracer

#26 Post by speedracer »

I understand your disgust,I have three dales and its always something.Although,I have a cable clutch dale that has no updates,has never given me an ounce of trouble,even after riding for three years now.On the other hand,another I have never stays running,I do believe its cursed!I have learned to bring my Kawi v-force as a back-up ride.

desertbound

#27 Post by desertbound »

Nothings loose in the clutch area. The flywheel and stator is intact and tight. I have oil flow. No shavings in oil filter. No junk in frame filter. Looks like something major.

cannondale27

#28 Post by cannondale27 »

Those are all good signs.Not bad.You said it still runs.So damage has to be minimal since no metal through motor yet.Chin up dude go into it with hope.Post a pic of the dunes on your bars and workbench.Its the reason it is worth it.

thedeatons

#29 Post by thedeatons »

Perhaps the crank is occasionally knocking the counterbalancer? My friend had a Falicon that did that, until the crank sideplay became too much, then things stopped suddenly....

rayspeed

#30 Post by rayspeed »

Since you have such high compression could it have been a pre-ignition knock or something? Was the fuel high enough octane and good and fresh?
I know I'm reaching... dont give up hope! You have spent what it should take to have a good reliable fast quad and it is not like it will cost all that over again to figure it out and get it taken care of.
Time should be the most that it will cost you now!
Look at the plug just to make sure that it cant tell you something if you have not allready.
Good luck!
Ray