My Cannondale Story

NRath

#21 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (Z4J @ May 4 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the input. The gear is a bit more beat than the first photos shows. It's going to get scrapped. What's the price of a plastic and who's got them?

Not sure about a price, but it's probably not too bad. A replacement aluminum would be a different story. Blackwidow and Canniboomer would be the first to call- both are awesome. Another member may chime in with one to sell. Actually, I ended up with an extra oil pump gear along the way, not sure which of the 3 it was, though. I'm thinking it was a steel one, but I'll look in the drawer tonight. It's been a long time since I put some eyes on them.

Z4J

#22 Post by Z4J »

I had a little time to tear the engine down a bit more tonight. I'm moving slow, but really in no rush. This might be the one I ride of into the sunset with (after a few races of course). Here's too many photos of what I found. Keep in mind I'm a newbie so some of the posts/questions might be simple, but bare with me as I want to get this right.
Any input is great....
-The valve cover blew my mind as I was set for a big mess from everything I read (maybe an al.?).
-A few quick pick of the cams
-Clutch needs a few...most likely why Dave said to purchase at least two HD's
-Why the bolt on the cover
-Cylinder is rough. No grinding when rotating thought. I'm just crossing my fingers it's clean below

Thanks for the time!

Z4J

#23 Post by Z4J »

A few more....

Z4J

#24 Post by Z4J »

Can you tell I'm a newbie.... :-)

claas900

#25 Post by claas900 »

Your piston/sleeve is junk. Your cams look good from what I can tell. Your clutch well you can see whats wrong with that. I'm not sure why the bolt in the cam cover? Maybe its from a dirt bike and its used as a plug or maybe the stock plug came out and the bolt is still used as a plug, either way I wouldn't worry about it. It does look like you water pump impeller is rubbing your cam cover tho?
I cant tell from the pics. But it looks like there are O-rings on the inside head studs? BTW good pics, and more is always better you never know what we might see.
Also,something looks funny with the 2 seals behind the water impeller? Did the oil seal pop out or something?

Z4J

#26 Post by Z4J »

Hey thanks for the feedback. I'll dig into those questions tomorrow. Lots of crazy things going on in the engine, but not too bad yet.
I see what you mean on the impeller from the pic. Actually that's just coolant gung though.
Any other input?

2mike18

#27 Post by 2mike18 »

isnt that hole where the bolt is for a sensor when using the 500ecu and fx cams?

rayspeed

#28 Post by rayspeed »

I would be very suspicious about what map, flow rate and offset settings are in the ecu before you just build it and fire it up. It kind of looks like it was lean and that might be what swelled the piston and started it to seize and you dont want that to happen all over again. A quick comparison of whats in there to the factory settings could tell the tale.
Somebody could have loaded a map and not changed the flow rate so whatever the map had it was put in there. I did that the first time I used a D&M and made a dune trip with a 2606 flow rate and I am still not sure how it survived that! It was running very crisp and lean tho! I think the evans coolant saved me there! Just to give you an idea the flow rate I have used ever since then is 2350 and it likes it there.

Z4J

#29 Post by Z4J »

Good info. Rayspeed. I was told it was mapped with a combo moto/blaze map put in by Doug Flinnard. I believe Dave will be reviewing the head so I may send him the ECU also. I'll try to get the D&M sooner then later.

cannondale27

#30 Post by cannondale27 »

I dont think those are stock valves.They are flat.