Fillin the trailer- what'll it haul?

UpsMan

#21 Post by UpsMan »

I think you are going to find this trailer loaded with 4 quads and gear will be too much for your tow vehicle. You say it is 2800 pounds. I doubt it. Maybe before the escape package, but not with all that extra equipment. I bet it is pushing 4,000 pounds. Add 2000 pounds of quads and even more gear and people, and your tow vehicle will be struggling. You better weigh it first. And without a doubt, you'll need a weight distributing hitch. For sure. On the up-side, the price sounds very reasonable.

NRath

#22 Post by NRath »

Got to check it out yesterday. Decent looking trailer, but shows some age on the outside. It's got a few minor issues. Tires are good but the internal battery and brake battery will surely need to be replaced. The weight on the data plate is 3182 lbs. That plus 1600 lbs of quads = 4782 lbs. Plus 250 lbs of water hits about 5k. That leaves a bit to play with for tools and food and stuff.

As far as the width issue, it still is one. It's 80" inside. PUlling the shock bolts gets down to 40" on the Kawi and about the same on the dale, so it's a tight squeeze. Pulling the front tires off the dale gives me about another 4" though. So, it's do-able, but not painless.

I'm not quite ready to bite the bullet, yet. Decisions, decisions...

Anybody know about how long a 12v refrigerator will run off the battery? I know there are plenty of variables to that, but I'm just curious about the ballpark. If good battery and a 4.4 cubic ft fridge (dorm size), am I talking 8 hrs or 4 days?

Happyboy

#23 Post by Happyboy »

Never tried it. My converter is a AC->DC not the other way around.

rayspeed

#24 Post by rayspeed »

If you are talking an absorbsion rv reefer that can run on 12 volts they can pull around 400 watts in the 12 volt mode which is what about 30 amps. So your average 100 amp hour automotive size battery will be at 50% in a couple of hours running continuous, four hours at 50% and so on. A couple of golf cart batteries on a not too hot day and the fridge pre-cooled down and you might get a couple of days out of them max before they are dead as a door nail.
They are much more efficient running on propane. If you are talking a little compressor reefer then you would need a pure sine wave inverter to run it efficiently and a big one at that for the start up load, by the time you do that you could have bought a 2kw inverting gen which you may want to pick up anyway.
Ray

UpsMan

#25 Post by UpsMan »

Don't trust that plate as being how much that trailer weighs....I think that goes on before the options are put in. You better weigh it. You will be sorry if you load it up and find out your tow vehicle is struggling....

Ryanstones

#26 Post by Ryanstones »

NRATH,
You are obviously out of your freaking mind. What part of GREATER DEPRESSION don't you get yet?
It's time to hunker down, not double down! SHEEESH! wacko.gif

Good luck with getting a new trailer's cost of ownership/use down to any reasonable number.

$.05 worth (inflation)

RRATH

ozarkdaler

#27 Post by ozarkdaler »

QUOTE (Ryanstones @ Aug 2 2009, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NRATH,
You are obviously out of your freaking mind. What part of GREATER DEPRESSION don't you get yet?
It's time to hunker down, not double down! SHEEESH! wacko.gif

Good luck with getting a new trailer's cost of ownership/use down to any reasonable number.

$.05 worth (inflation)

RRATH

What are you talking about??? The recession is over don't you read Newsweek? LMAO!! Times are changing...

Ryanstones

#28 Post by Ryanstones »

yea, you're probably right OD. wink.gif

[attachment=8727:GDP_Graph1.png]

UpsMan

#29 Post by UpsMan »

Ryanstones the eternal optimist is back, thank God! Let the guy buy his trailer and enjoy life for heavens sake.

Ryanstones

#30 Post by Ryanstones »

Hey Ups! My Attitude has no noticeable effect on reality. If my lil brother wants to talk about frivolous sh!t that potentially jeopardizes his family's well being as the economy implodes , I feel an obligation to throw cold water. I'd rather he be pissed now, than pissed and hungry later cause I didn't warn him. I'd much prefer to sacrifice a little temporary enjoyment today for security tomorrow, but that's just me I guess.

Saw this report, don't blame my attitude, cause the brown truck brought me all kinds of stuff this quarter, like gravity water filter, scythe, flat free wheelbarrow/cart tires, freeze dried food, various metals, etc.
UPS' 2Q profits slide 49% with dim prospects ahead

"The company has been cutting costs and jobs. The company expects $1.2 billion to $1.3 billion in savings from cost-control efforts for the year.

UPS previously said economic indicators suggest recovery in the U.S. might begin late this year, but more likely not until 2010. Kuehn said Thursday that questions remain about when business activity will begin to strengthen.

Kuehn said in an interview with The Associated Press that the potential for further job cuts would depend on how the economy does.

"If demand doesn't increase, yes, it is likely the headcount number will continue to migrate downwards," he said."