Indy Dealer Show

kdeal

#21 Post by kdeal »

Well Mr Scrambler and everyone else who knows how to read, start buying your magazines because more than a few Pro MXers have ridden bikes and quads with this motor (& the 507) and state it is "too fast for MX". Others have claimed it is the fastest 450 class motor they have ever slung a leg over. They also claim the bike is way too heavy and this will not be a mainstream bike due to other limitations.

Please read: March 2010 & April 2010 Dirtwheels & March 2010 Dirtbike magazines for tests and comments by someone other than Highland. Also, in the same issue of Dirtbike look at an article about a new style of FI (which it appears the Highland is using a form of).

Guys,

I don't give a rat's a$$ how many HP it has or that it is in a Cannondale frame (I own enough Cannondales to know what the frame can do), I am interested in the motor and it's applications. On the surface it appears to be lighter "quoted 20 pounds", faster (HP claims yet to be proven) and you know what they are based in the USA to boot.

I don't fall for too many BS stories and I have no opinion yet on this whole ball of wax, but you know what, I will wait and see. I am only stating what was told to me by the director of the company (Highland USA). I questioned the HP claims and the weight claims. They budged on the weight issue but stood firm on the HP claims. The hottest single they have was quoted at 69.? HP. The bike did have aftermarket (non-EPA) dual exhaust, open air box with the new FI set-up. So I am still thinking it may be possible......but 69HP is a lot!

to be continued......

jacobw

#22 Post by jacobw »

everyone knows power is developed in the head as long as its free flowing and had some kick *** cams 70hp is achieveable the problem with the pro mx guys bikes lasting a moto is that they start with a motor that is in the mid to upper 30hp and mod it to over twice as much and the motor was never designed for that stress if you design for those limits. you can make it hold up and make it last, all atv engines are bike engines that are severly detuned so if they put the bike engine in it 70hp can be achievable.

On side note they need to dump the ****** elkas and get some real shocks, hard to beat a finely tuned ohlins shock.

jesshamner

#23 Post by jesshamner »

So did they say anything about taking so long to get something going? These were the same people that were in the ATK booth in 2008 right? When do they expect to start taking orders?

jesshamner

#24 Post by jesshamner »

On their website they show Marzocchi and Ohlins forks and a ohlins rear shock. I'm willing to bet Ohlins will be an option for the quad too.

kdeal

#25 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Feb 16 2010, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So did they say anything about taking so long to get something going? These were the same people that were in the ATK booth in 2008 right? When do they expect to start taking orders?

Jess,

Yes, these were for the most part the same guys as 2008. ATK put a damper on those plans and these guys decided to go the Highland route. They weren't even going to do a quad initially until Travis put a motor in one and then all heck broke loose. With few exceptions the quad is getting more attention than the MX bike. The twin motor is getting a lot of looks as well. They have already sold out of one of the bike models. On the quads, they had just finished a deal with ATK to buy up all the frames and related parts he had for the quads. So I do not know when they will be selling the quad. I am letting this sit until I see more in May at the factory in OK.

Dachshund

#26 Post by Dachshund »

We can sit here all day and debate whether the 450 puts out what they claim but like any other make, it has to be seen on a dyno to be believed. Do I think it does what they claim? I'd like to, but then again I'm not 14 anymore.

In my opinion it is just plain bad business(and lying)to claim something other than the real deal so this is a big test of honesty for me. And what about the beating a quad puts on a motor? As far as I know, this is the first one in an ATV. But I don't know very far. unsure.gif

Right now, I'm giving Highland USA the benefit of doubt and hope they succeed in their lofty goals.

That was a good ramble.

2000ex

#27 Post by 2000ex »

I went back and read a lot of their articles and they say the 507 is 70 horse not the 450.

jesshamner

#28 Post by jesshamner »

I did the same thing. 450cc bike makes 56.4 hp according to this...

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Highland_450_MX_2008.aspx

jesshamner

#29 Post by jesshamner »

I also found this and joined.

http://www.highlandforums.com/index.php#1

MX Quad Dad

#30 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Dachshund @ Feb 16 2010, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my opinion it is just plain bad business(and lying)to claim something other than the real deal so this is a big test of honesty for me.

IDK. seems the japs have done a bit of lieing. I'm not at home but I think I have something from cannondale that showed dyno results and weights of other quads. I was amazed at how low the 400ex came in. I never talked to anyone that weighed a 450r but all the yfz owners had numbers higherr than what we had on our moto