Automotive diagnostic software scanner tool?

MX Quad Dad

#21 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I did a bit of shopping for a OBDII programmer a while back when my son had a 03 chevy 2500 with oversize tires. the little hand held ones would have done the tire size change and some other adjustments too. I just like the ideal of being able to do more.

haulinit; I was seriously looking at EFILive and asked if if could read BCM and ABS codes. they replied back and said it will show DTC codes for any module that responds to the DTC query which he said they should but said they do not supply that diagnotic info but, said I could go on thier forum and somebody there may have the info.

As for the OBDI. I was looking for something to burn a chip for his mud truck. I am leaning towards the C.A.T.S. programer. It cost $70 or $100 with RT. you need definition files which are about 20 bucks plus an EPROM programer (I found some for about $250). The EPROM's are Cheap enough to not bother with getting an eraser so I figured if I bought a few and had some I didn't like the program I put on it I could just remove the sticker and let them lay in the sun for a few days to erase them. or for a few bucks more just Buy the EEPROMS as long as the programer I buy is capable of erasing them. I think they also have some hardware you can make changes in RT then save them and then burn to an EPROM

wistech

#22 Post by wistech »

Is there any software that can look into body modules ,abs or airbags?

haulinit

#23 Post by haulinit »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Apr 7 2011, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there any software that can look into body modules ,abs or airbags?

Check out Snap-on Solarus "I think thats how you spell it". There not cheap either! For GM products theres the GM tech2.

jinx44

#24 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (haulinit @ Apr 8 2011, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check out Snap-on Solarus "I think thats how you spell it". There not cheap either! For GM products theres the GM tech2.

That is still a hard device. He is looking for software only. I have not saw any software with capabilities to reset body module codes. There is software for reading them, but that doesn't do much good if you can't reset (especially air bag modules throwing codes for "too much info").

wistech

#25 Post by wistech »

I just installed HID's in my wifes car and now the check vehicle light comes on. Its most likely because the right headlight is unplugged. The vehicle light is a BCM code. To bad it doesnt have a display like my avalanche which shows you whats wrong right on the dash display.

claas900

#26 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Apr 8 2011, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just installed HID's in my wifes car and now the check vehicle light comes on. Its most likely because the right headlight is unplugged. The vehicle light is a BCM code. To bad it doesn't have a display like my avalanche which shows you whats wrong right on the dash display.

I put LEDs tail lights on my wifes car, had to install a resistor so the flasher would go a million miles an hour. It doesn't have the old school flashers you just replace, I guess even the flashing sound is computer controlled.

haulinit

#27 Post by haulinit »

QUOTE (jinx44 @ Apr 8 2011, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is still a hard device. He is looking for software only. I have not saw any software with capabilities to reset body module codes. There is software for reading them, but that doesn't do much good if you can't reset (especially air bag modules throwing codes for "too much info").

Sorry those are the only ones that I know of that can do ABS and or Body control module functions. Kinda lost but how is "software only" going to help, you still need some method to communicate with the OBD 2 connector

wistech

#28 Post by wistech »

Doesnt the device I started this thread about link through the OBD2 connector for the BCM or is there another connector for that? . Looks like the BCM controlls everything from blinker to monitoring fluid levels ,sounds and dome lights. Thats how it keeps the battery from goin gdead if you leave the headlights on . it shuts it down for you . Saved my but a couple times now.

jinx44

#29 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Apr 8 2011, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesnt the device I started this thread about link through the OBD2 connector for the BCM or is there another connector for that? . Looks like the BCM controlls everything from blinker to monitoring fluid levels ,sounds and dome lights. Thats how it keeps the battery from goin gdead if you leave the headlights on . it shuts it down for you . Saved my but a couple times now.

BCM is still through OBD-II port.

jinx44

#30 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Apr 8 2011, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put LEDs tail lights on my wifes car, had to install a resistor so the flasher would go a million miles an hour. It doesn't have the old school flashers you just replace, I guess even the flashing sound is computer controlled.

They still have a flasher module, and you can modify the circuit board in that module. Or putting a resistor in works too. LOL