Engine Oil

cdalemx301

#21 Post by cdalemx301 »

wellcouldnt people with cast take temps and people with ssm do the same

cdaleracer52

#22 Post by cdaleracer52 »

i run Maxima 10w-40 semi synthetic and bel-ray 80w gear saver. I will never switch over to another set up. The maxima doesn't lose its consistency even when due for a change (though the color might change a bit lol) and every time i change my trans oil its as red as it was the day i put it in. Never had a problem with over heating due to engine oil complications.

cdaleracer52

#23 Post by cdaleracer52 »

I think its the mapping that causes the fan to run at wierd times. Me and my friend jim have come to that conclusion, comparing his cannibal and moto to my cannibal.

Derno24

#24 Post by Derno24 »

Mapping doesn't affectthe fan settings that is in the hex code. If you think you have the wrong one (hex code) you can get the current one off this website.

Jay: That would make alot of sense. My 02 Cannibal never ran even on 90 degree days the 03's run alot more. I would have never thought of that one.

cdaleracer52

#25 Post by cdaleracer52 »

what do i do to install the updated hex code on my dale?

Derno24

#26 Post by Derno24 »

It is in the D&M kit! In the menu. Not sure which menu, but I am sure someone else will chime in and fill in the blanks!

CptHook

#27 Post by CptHook »

I run Redline in the engine, and Maxima MTL in the tranny and havent had any problems yet. My fan only comes on if I ride extremely hard for more than a half hour on a really dry day, and then it is only on for about 20 seconds. If I happen to go through a few water holes on my way back, that seems to cool it well enough since my fan wont come on at all afterwards.

levi550

#28 Post by levi550 »

Originally posted by cdaleracer52
what do i do to install the updated hex code on my dale?

I believe you need the latest version of the D&M (v2?)

From the file menu it is the "code download" option.

USAMoto00

#29 Post by USAMoto00 »

I use Maxima 15w-50 full synthetic and have been really happy with it. At first I thought that it might be too heavy, but it's worked out great.:usa

Jaybr

#30 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by Derno24
Mapping doesn't affectthe fan settings that is in the hex code.  If you think you have the wrong one (hex code) you can get the current one off this website.

Jay:  That would make alot of sense.  My 02 Cannibal never ran even on 90 degree days the 03's run alot more.  I would have never thought of that one.

The fan on/off settings are in the map, but every one I've looked at is the same

On at 80* celcius
Off at 70.4*

My thinking on the cases is maybe the cast aluminum has better heat transfer characteristics than the SSM. I know the SSM is more porous, which would probably effect this.

The other issue may be oil flow through the journals in the case. ATK posted that their oiling updates are basically cleaning up burrs and stuff in the journals. I also remember an engineering magazine article a while back talking about the SSM case and difficulties in machining it.

All just theories at this point:confused: