Should I pick up the Cannondale I have a deposit on?

Jaybr

#21 Post by Jaybr »

You can tilt the quad on it's side and pull the clutch without draining the tranny.

If Cannondale doesn't have any more motor mount kits they won't be making anymore - at least until someone buys them and resumes production. I think the quadsource is producing a kit, you might check with them.

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying, I love mine, but these 2 problems can cause major damage and expense and you should get the dealer to address them before you pay that price.

I've seen Speeds going for as low as $5200 and Cannibals even lower. At those prices I'd be willing to deal with the updates myself, but at $7000 I'd push the dealer.

jcv440

#22 Post by jcv440 »

I've got a 03 Speed. I'm in PA. Our's does have the right engine configs.

4punksdad

#23 Post by 4punksdad »

when auto makers have a major flaw in their products they are required by law to re-call them and make the repair, no matter how many times the car is bought & sold. Why does cannondale get away with simply sending out a service bulletin and not a total re-call?

if my bike needs major updates, I think cannondale should be the guys to fix it.

on another note...........are all models affected by the motor mount update?

4punksdad

#24 Post by 4punksdad »

test.......
Look, my signature works biggrin.gif

drbowtie

#25 Post by drbowtie »

Hmmmmm,

Sounds like it's not a big deal to tilt that Speed over to one side... Remove the clutch cover and check the bolts... I certainly do see value in having the updates completed and I can assure you that the unit will not have any riding other than to break it in for the first hour before these updates are completed... If I have to remove the engine it would be nice to drain the oil when it is due for it's first oil change. Motor mount kit will most likely be done before anything else regardless.

Jaybr

#26 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by 4punksdad
when auto makers have a major flaw in their products they are required by law to re-call them and make the repair, no matter how many times the car is bought & sold. Why does cannondale get away with simply sending out a service bulletin and not a total re-call?

if my bike needs major updates, I think cannondale should be the guys to fix it.

I think it depends on wether or not it's considered a safety issue. Cannondale did a recall on some defective front shocks last year and also on some tie rods in the first year. I guess these where considered safety issues because failure could result in you loosing control of the vehicle. trashing a motor or cracking the motor case, although a severe failure, is probably not considered a safety issue.

The auto makers do TSB's all the time, they just don't make them public.

Not all motors are effected by the TSB, look at the TSB on the Cannondale site and there is info on how to tell if your effected.

cannondale27

#27 Post by cannondale27 »

Jay hit it right on the head.If people saw all the bulletins on vehicles they would be afraid to even start them.To my knowledge cannondale was the first to truly go public with these things.I sure hope the new owner continues that tradition.

drbowtie

#28 Post by drbowtie »

I am in Management at a Chevrolet Franchise in upstate New York and can confirm that the number of Bulletins vs. Recalls is numerous. Bulletins are notes that assist technicians in repairing vehicles that happen to develop a not-so-likely-to-happen problem. Recalls are "We know this is no good and it will break so fix it now" issue...

Just my two cents.

Oh, and by the way... I'm going to complete this post and contact the dealer to consumate my purchase of the 03 Speed! I just received word of a fantastic rate from the finance company and the support that I've received from you folks makes me feel very confident that I will most certainly survive this purchase with a very large grin!

Upstate look out!

atvrulz

dales for sale

#29 Post by atvrulz »

I know a dealer of sleds and quads that is going out of business and he is having problems communicating with cannondale since their motorsports division is currently suspended and so he will listen to any reasonable offer on the two 02' cannibals and one 02' blaze he currently has left.

4punksdad

#30 Post by 4punksdad »

Originally posted by drbowtie
I am in Management at a Chevrolet Franchise in upstate New York and can confirm that the number of Bulletins vs. Recalls is numerous.  Bulletins are notes that assist technicians in repairing vehicles that happen to develop a not-so-likely-to-happen problem.  Recalls are "We know this is no good and it will break so fix it now" issue...

Just my two cents.

Oh, and by the way...  I'm going to complete this post and contact the dealer to consumate my purchase of the 03 Speed!  I just received word of a fantastic rate from the finance company and the support that I've received from you folks makes me feel very confident that I will most certainly survive this purchase with a very large grin!  

Upstate look out!

where are you from in upstate? I grew up in oneonta and spent a few years in albany county.