The Halls Of Destruction

wistech

#221 Post by wistech »

This poor 450r DETONATED ohmy.gif

kdeal

#222 Post by kdeal »

Hey a little JB Weld & I think we can fix that case.....LOL blink.gif

That's the worst piston (Wiseco) that I have seen on the skirt under side without completely destroying the piston. HOLY COW!

ohmy.gif

claas900

#223 Post by claas900 »

It????????s not a very good pic but on my post #205, the 1st and 2nd pic you can kind of see were the crank plate looks like its shifting in the case. It????????s all black and kind of chamfered looking. Every dale motor I????????ve ever been in has this. How do I stop it? Maybe in the next few days I can get a better pic of it. Its most lee seen on the top 3 bolts (sorry not in pic) if you happen to have a motor in front of you.

cannondale27

#224 Post by cannondale27 »

Torque all the bolts to first stage then remove one at time to Loctite them.It keeps Loctite from going in between.Other than that we have to live with the famous slushycup case.

timbomoose

#225 Post by timbomoose »

I'll have to get some more pics up.My brother's been doing alot of snowmoblie repairs lately with alot of messed up cylinder,heads, and pistons.I'll have to stop down see what he's working on and take some pics.the newer skidoo's seem to be the most unreliable motor.Piston city.

claas900

#226 Post by claas900 »

Yeah I can see looking at my case I do have some bit of lock tight out of the threads. Back when bolts were falling out I made studs for all the bolts but one #7. And all the studs were custom, they grabbed all the threads in the case and had a shoulder on them. Numbers 1,2,3 ever had a longer shoulder on them. And still getting some flex.
What do you guys think about using a bottoming tap on the holes? I did this on my case, but some had said it????????s weaker?
I????????ve also been looking and wanted to know what you guys thought but you think it would help or hurt to up the size to 10mm on bolts #2,#1 and 9. Or on the other hand I????????ve thought about maybe just using a dowel like is done on the Trans plate, but then had a thought again and the whole crank plate is a snug fit.

RonDK

#227 Post by RonDK »

cannondale27

#228 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Jan 30 2007, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I can see looking at my case I do have some bit of lock tight out of the threads. Back when bolts were falling out I made studs for all the bolts but one #7. And all the studs were custom, they grabbed all the threads in the case and had a shoulder on them. Numbers 1,2,3 ever had a longer shoulder on them. And still getting some flex.
What do you guys think about using a bottoming tap on the holes? I did this on my case, but some had said it????????s weaker?
I????????ve also been looking and wanted to know what you guys thought but you think it would help or hurt to up the size to 10mm on bolts #2,#1 and 9. Or on the other hand I????????ve thought about maybe just using a dowel like is done on the Trans plate, but then had a thought again and the whole crank plate is a snug fit.

All great ideas that I would think would help.ATK does longer bolts extra torque has helped on mine for sure.My crankplate gasket is no longer frayed like most factory ones.I do know that Cannondale was very concerned with crank flex.I think that is what causes most of movement.They also were not able to improve on amount of flex.Maybe a better supporting case would help the flex.Instead it seems they decided to go with it.Big sideclearance and loose fitting mainbearings are probably a result of that.I really would have liked the extra bolt case.Maybe if failure rate goes to high on big motor cases which eventually you would think it will with almost double hp!We for sure will need to do something.

QUOTE (RonDK @ Jan 30 2007, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cripes you see silicone job on that one?Surprised it lasted as long as it di.

claas900

#229 Post by claas900 »

I have 2 junk cases to experment on. I did drill #2 to 10mm and taped it,it was very easy. I happen to have a junk crank plate also im going to drill to 10mm and see how much meat it has left.

cannondale27

#230 Post by cannondale27 »

Not real bad destruction but Phazer is down for count(till tomorrow)broke exhaust off at the head on 280mi ride last night did make it home but a bit louder!Well real destruction is what you have to do to get at it!This is exactly how far you also need to go to change a sparkplug.Thank goodness for fuel injection and no fouled plugs!Will weld exhaust and new Custom Axis shock for rear is getting put in for riding tomorrow.Same old same old even with brand new stuff mad.gif