Ease of neutral

jinx44

#31 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (wistech @ Oct 24 2007, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tim and myself were exerimenting with depth and found that if you went to far you sometimes end up with a engine that goes into neutral too easy . Like getting neutral in a drag race would be very bad. It seems reshaping the the edges (peaks)and matching the roller to the detent is whats is important. Im not going to recomend going any further if you dont have to. You can go further if you want to but at your risk. I only do the mod on the engines that are known for the issues. Mostly fx400's and early cannibals. Newer engines didnt seem to have the issue nearly as much. If your engine does not do it then dont touch it.

Right now I have the trans out of my early unicorn case. I bought the bike not running, so I don't know how it is on finding neutral. If I am going to mod it, now is the time. Should I modify it while I am here?

Here are a couple tricks we used to do on banshees:

#1. Rounding off the points of the star. This mainly helped the distance you had to lift the shift lever to complete a shift. Anyone that has rode a stock banshee knows due to the length of the lever, you have to lift it very far.

#2. Lighter detent spring. This made shifting faster, as well as making it MUCH easier to find neutral.

#3. Using a detent with a bearing. The stock banshee detent arm is just a washer on a stud. We found some arms that a roller bearing. This was probably the biggest improvement.

Those three things made my banshees shift like butter. Stock, they are probably the hardest to shift sport ATVs ever built.

cannondale27

#32 Post by cannondale27 »

I would just do as Wistech said and fine tune it.Our detent already has a ballbearing roller.Make sure that is not shot.I have seen a few that were very sloppy.Remember how the Banshee had those rubber outfits between the plates?Removing them improved shifting also.

jinx44

#33 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 21 2008, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would just do as Wistech said and fine tune it.Our detent already has a ballbearing roller.Make sure that is not shot.I have seen a few that were very sloppy.Remember how the Banshee had those rubber outfits between the plates?Removing them improved shifting also.

Is it a bearing? It looked to me like just a washer that is braded in place.

I had forgot about the cushions. They were always the first thing to go. LOL

Nickc711

#34 Post by Nickc711 »

Is this stuff ok for our trannys?

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/agl.aspx?zo=428617

i saw some where guys were running amsoil motor oil in their transmissions is this ok?

cannondale27

#35 Post by cannondale27 »

No thats not the right stuff would be way to heavy.

Jinx I believe most are bearings but I remember Wistech coming across a few that werent.Maybe they were just in newer motors.Here is a pic of one.You can see the little bearings in there.
[attachment=5796:Detent_0..._Medium_.jpg]

Nickc711

#36 Post by Nickc711 »

80w right?

cannondale27

#37 Post by cannondale27 »

No thats what goes in a axle.It is very confusing.Stuff I use Golden Spectro gear is a 80w equivalent.But its nowhere near as thick as true 80w.

thedeatons

#38 Post by thedeatons »

Just because someone says something is crap doesn't make it bad. One person's garbage is another person's treasure. I love Redline Shockproof, and will never use anything different. It coats everything really well, and I believe that lubrication that stays attached between rides aids in longevity of components.

I have made good horsepower using Shockproof, the same as everyone else with the same components, so if there is more drag it is negligible. The stuff is fantastic. Not the most fun when you have to clean it off during a rebuild, but it coats magnificently. Red Line is top notch, their customer service is excellent. You ask to speak to an engineer and you get one, and they stay with you patiently while you ask them capacity questions and what type of which to run.

Oil is like politics or money, no one can agree on what is best. Red Line is expensive. Amsoil is an MLM and hard to find Golden Spectro is only a blend. Bel Ray is not synthetic. Any of these work fine. Our group of 20+ Dales has used most of these with no problems. You decide what you like. Not everyone drives a red car because some people like blue. Others like white. So what. Decide what is important to you and run it. If people just want to tell you that one thing is right, then THEY are wrong, because there is always more than one option. That is what makes these times great, the choices we have.

cannondale27

#39 Post by cannondale27 »

I agree but the Amsoil he made link to is not made for our tranny.Check the link.

rayspeed

#40 Post by rayspeed »

Hey I hate to drag you guys back on topic but I have a motor down that had the atk neutral mod and it goes into neutral perfectly... I would like to document it with measurements and pictures of the parts and pieces that have been modified so I or anyone can duplicate it.
So what pieces do I need to look at? I hope I can get to them without pulling the trans out!
So let me know!
Ray