Going on a diet

Speed 1B

#31 Post by Speed 1B »

This may be a topic we will have to discuss in Pms! laugh.gif

thedeatons

#32 Post by thedeatons »

Are you guys running non o-ring 520 series chains? What about plastic impeller gears? Ti shorty exhausts? No front ECU tray? No airbox? No rear swingarm skids? No bumper? Just my initial lightening thoughts... No expert by any means (but make sure you poop before you race!)...

UpsMan

#33 Post by UpsMan »

I'm going to knock 10 pounds off my quad here in the next few months and its free. I'm just not eating anymore. I'll keep drinking of course.....

wayneschofield

#34 Post by wayneschofield »

I'll not be winning the competition, I don't think, as I intend mine to be fully functional. The main gains for me are substitution of stock items for lighter ones. I only expect to get down to 150kgs. If it ends up lighter then woopee. I am still going through every single thing on it and looking at how to lighten it (apart from the frame). I'll be keeping an o-ring chain as a non-o-ring wouldn't last five minutes being used how I do.

Mine will still have lights, brakes front and rear etc.

The 'competition rules' state merely that it must be shown on scales and shown doing a 3ft jump, which could be done with a quad stripped of all bodywork, brakes, guards, half the bolts missing etc.

The 'rules' cannot really be re-written as different folks use their machines for different jobs. Mine would be pants in a drag race and a drag quad would (should) fall apart when used as mine get used.

I know it's all (mainly) just in fun and it's interesting what ideas different people come up with to shave a few pounds, but if we do keep 'airing' our ideas we will all jointly benefit. For instance, I was getting some drawings for a CNC'd stem clamp to be made. Somebody did that already so it would be easier if we share things so we're not doing multiples of the same thing. If I can persuade whoever made the stem calam to make one for me (in mag) is another matter though.... smile.gif

UpsMan

#35 Post by UpsMan »

I won't be winning the competition either, as I want to use mine for mx and xc, so I need strength, but with all these ideas I think I can still safely lighten the quad enough to feel a difference. We'll see.

Speed 1B

#36 Post by Speed 1B »

One of my new lightweight pieces just came in the mail friday. Im working until tuesday so ill get some pics up for you guys tuesday night.

wayneschofield

#37 Post by wayneschofield »

I'm making most stuff myself, it's a slow process but it gets done eventually and how I want it to be done.

So far I've managed to almost complete the rear damper parts, and a few other bits and bobs, hardly a monument of achievment....

When are the 'results' being judged....? Not sure I'll be finished.....

cannondale27

#38 Post by cannondale27 »

We will wait for you Wayne. I am barely started also!

wayneschofield

#39 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 13 2008, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We will wait for you Wayne.I am barely started also!

I've been dropping hints to the girlfriend about working late some nights..... so perhaps it will be this year....

A lot depends upon how soon I get stuff finished that I can't make myself. I only have basic machine facilities at work, any CNC work has to go out. If they take a while doing it I just have to wait.

I hope to get my 'dyno chassis' finished this week so I'll drag a motor out of a quad and get camshaft testing soon.... It won't help my own 'lightweight' but it might help 'the cause'.....

UpsMan

#40 Post by UpsMan »

Would it be possible to remove 1st or 5th gear in the tranny for some weight savings?