Oh boy a new toy

cannondale27

#31 Post by cannondale27 »

Safest place would be a dirt oval. Till your tires are good and warm the blacktop is actually slicker than the dirt. Better to lay it down than lift and have it highside!

Scooter

#32 Post by Scooter »

I think riding in the dirt is a good place to start but it does not feel anything like it does on pavement. I rode a bunch on the track but it took me one whole day at the track before it clicked and I had the backend hanging out. In the dirt you can spin the wheel to get it to slide but on the pavement it feels to me like a weight transfer and loosing traction as the bike is going slower than the pavement. On the pavement you slide into the corner and on the dirt you slide coming out of the corner. Go to a cart track and watch the fast guys and try to do the same thing they do without woring about the cops on the public streets.[attachment=6594:4_wheelie1.11.jpg][attachment=6593:siderace.JPG]

wistech

#33 Post by wistech »

I like the kart track idea. I am doing most all pavement. I will clean out the shop and see if its big enough to get some slides going on inside. Do you ever use the rear brakes? I don't think I ever hit them all night. Stoppies are pretty cool too.

Honda92

#34 Post by Honda92 »

John, just go fast and get on the front brakes a little to make the back end light and slide it. Let me know if that works alright?? Sounds like it should. haha, just don't pull one of these and hit a bus in the shop. I think there is a kart track in Shawno right?? internation speedway/raceway, they actually have motard races there. i'll post a pic of your competition

wistech

#35 Post by wistech »

I reprogrammed the speedo and took her out on the highway and up to Promotorsports to get a proper mirror. tongue.gif With the quad 5th gear it should be just fine for cruising to the fun roads. I had 2 people ask me WTF is that and who makes it. LOL The guys at Promotors cant figure out how Tony still hasnt been caught . I think we need to play in a different town at night . I think te cops are going to catch on that there are only 4 motards in the whole county

jesshamner

#36 Post by jesshamner »

Do you know about what kind of rpms you're running at 55 mph?

thedeatons

#37 Post by thedeatons »

Hey John.... Did you happen to see the 90 degree air filter idea I posted? Any thoughts on that working?

wistech

#38 Post by wistech »

Looking at the limitations of the airbox position and style I am beginning to think that stock is the ideal system. With the only mod being to make a cyclone or ported bike stack with a 45 degree elbow on it so it points directly at the filter instead of turning the air before it hit the funnel. Perhaps D porting one might even be in order. Running a virtually silent exhaust system now I can hear how the airbox is not really affecting the sound at all like it does on the quad. It sounds just like my Speed with the silent duals. And right now the intake is so loud everybody knows when your on the gas. Of course as always R@D means actually dyno testing the mods and not making any judgements based on preconcieved ideas. The only issue I see with the stock 03 airbox is water running down the tank should have a small lip to direct it around the filter as the media touches the tank on the sides. Kind of odd that they designed the engine with the motorcycle in mind yet made the intake in such a strange position. They could have made the fuel tank filler at the rear like a vmax and put the airbox where the filler is now instead of making a huge space wasting hole in the middle of the tank.

I wanted to dyno the bike stock to get a baseline at the local harley dealer but they do not allow customers in the dyno area and charge $80 for 3 runs. I said I would need about 50 to 80 runs for tuning remapping and air intake testing . He began to argue that you only need 3 runs to map an engine. Wow how clueless can you get. I do 3 runs at least just to verify a tuning change. LOL Kind of makes you wonder if they even warm up the engines to operating temp before they tune them.
I found my TMI tiny tach . If I get a chance I will throw it on and see what the engine runs at 55mph.

J. Delaney

#39 Post by J. Delaney »

Dirt bikes have such a long swing arm (and wheel base) that they are much easier to control while sliding. When ever my sport bikes got out of like, they would always snap. The DRZ is much more lazy in stepping out.

Backing it in is best done in the dirt. Try to load the front suspension as much as possible (to preload the forks/front tire and unload the back tire) by scooting foreward and applying the front brake. Then down shift a couple of gears and feather the clutch out to begin sliding the back tire. Using the clutch to initate a slide is the preferred method over using the rear brake because you've got much better control of your fingers than your foot. Besides, what if you're going into a right hand corner?

And the guys at the H-D shop are probably a Dynojet tuning link. I think their software automatically maps for WOT, not everywhere in between.

Honda92

#40 Post by Honda92 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Jun 17 2008, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL The guys at Promotors cant figure out how Tony still hasnt been caught .

i always bring someone on a sportbike with me, the cops will take the easy prey first lol