This cracks me up!!! A post from atvriders

MX Quad Dad

#31 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Wow, hope this isn't getting to heated.
I have to say I'm with steve on this one. I like more.... and a relieable more is even better. I have given up a lot financialy over the last 10 years (not that I regret one dime spent) otherwise I would probubly have a 505 and at least one spare quad and spare engine. it may be a good thing I haven't been able to invest in the HP because I tend to ride over my ability lol.

I know if you need less HP, just back off the throttle or accerate a little slower. the nice thing about the C-Dales is you can also map it to be a little tammer. in other words, you can always use less than what you have but, you can't use more than you have.

cannondale27

#32 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats correct everyone rides different with different likes.For me my ideal ride would be on a course just like the Rally cars and Desert racers run.If I dont have bugs splattered on the goggles its not fast enough.But I can also enjoy a nice ride with the kids checking out the wildlife.Nothing wrong at all with that.I do admit out in the Dunes once comfortable we would pick out a point in distance and make our way there as fast as possible.Do to different terrain it was a big thrill for me and feeling of gut going up to throat never gets old.Truth is even at that pace slower riders caught up within minutes.Once to a spot like a big bowl or crazy hill we would play in that area for awhile.

desertbound

#33 Post by desertbound »

All I meant was that 60hp wasn't necessary. Big hp is an addiction.The more the better. Especially with my big butt.

Bushes in the dunes??? Maybe in the valleys. I rarely see bushes in the dunes. I prefer riding the bowls. Steve, we'll have some fun at glamis. If you want wide open, we'll do the ride from Glamis to Gordons down Sand HWY. 20 miles, whoops, jumps and pinned the whole way. We can ride to Duners Diner for a breakfast bowl. I'm pretty sure we'd have enough fuel for that. Between Rayspeed and myself, we'll have some good riding. I'm not claiming to be the best rider ever, but I know how to have fun. Most importantly I know those dunes.

thedeatons

#34 Post by thedeatons »

Sand Mt. Nevada has a lot of bushy sections with sand trails.... and bushes in the middle of wide open spaces.

cannondale27

#35 Post by cannondale27 »

I cant wait!

thedeatons

#36 Post by thedeatons »

Are you going to hit Sand Mt, NV?

2000ex

#37 Post by 2000ex »

I tend to agree with Jacob on this one. This comment is strictly reserved for GNCC type racing, but HP is just about the last thing you need. Great tires, skids, properly setup suspension, and a dampener come far before HP. For 2hrs of racing through the woods the more HP, the more tired you are going to get. It is not necessary at all. Not to mention to get there you will most likely be running an open air filter which I strongly do not recommend for this type of racing. This is coming from someone who has several 50+ hp MX machines, and those motors in the woods would be more of a hinderance than a help.

cannondale27

#38 Post by cannondale27 »

Notice I dont race many GNCC's and Harescrambles I just do for a workout.I also agree for SOME GNCC's and almost ALL Harescrambles east of Mississippi a 300ex properly set would do awesome.Just dont tell me what I need till you ride what I ride.
Dragracing,TT,Ovals,GNCC's like Ironman or THE RACE in Iowa,Trails,Firelanes,Frozen Rivers and Lakes,Fields more than a mile across and Dunes all offer the opportunity to hold it wide open and for extended lengths of time.That means HP and more the better.So really the way I see it the low hp motors built for smooth throttle and tight quarters are the more exotic motors.I am just building what I use most.Do I need to post the videos I made last time you all accused me of not needing the HP?

wistech

#39 Post by wistech »

While all the guys with "skill" and 30 to 40hp sit at the bottom of the hill trying to figure out how to get to the top this is what I am doing.

2000ex

#40 Post by 2000ex »

I like hp just as much as the next guy. Like any type of racing, it is all about the setup and what you are using it for. You can have a 100hp banshee that would be useless in MX, or even in dragging if the chassis is not setup properly. Running a drag ported 250r in the woods would be horrible, however out in the open would be killer.

For sheer fun factor, nothing replaces HP....the more the merrier. From a racing standpoint, it depends on the setup and style of racing you are doing more than anything.