Indy Dealer Show

jesshamner

#31 Post by jesshamner »

I heard people claim that the yfz was 30-50 lbs more than the yamaha claimed dry weight

TricityCdale

#32 Post by TricityCdale »

It sounds to me like they are following the same business model that Cannondale did originally, which in my opinion, was a bad model....

The bike market is a TOUGH market to break into. The ATV market is a much better market to break into, except now the major manufacturers are at least offering higher performance models (the same can't be said when Cannondale was starting...can you say 400ex?!)

It seems to me, Cannondale would have survived had they not gone the bike route first and started with the ATV's. The ATV's were catching on like wild fire and if they could've held out 1 more year, they probably would've made it. I think the same will be said of Highland if they follow this course of action.

You just can't compete with Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and KTM in the bike market. I don't care who you are. And I only throw KTM in there for the off-road sector. They still don't compete in SX.

cannondale27

#33 Post by cannondale27 »

I just dont understand why they would abandon the Cannondale motor.To me it would make more sense to finish what was started and proven.If you want to buy a USA made atv here is another option.

Yamaha Motors - ATV & Motorcycles
Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. Announces ATV Production Transfer Strategy
Yamaha Transferring Worldwide ATV Production to United States by 2013

Cypress, CA (2/12/2010) - Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. (YMC) today announced plans to transfer its all-terrain vehicle (ATV) production currently in Japan to the United States. With this transfer, the production capacity of YMC???s Japanese subsidiary ??? Yamaha Motor Powered Products Co., Ltd. (YMPC) ??? will be integrated into YMC???s U.S. subsidiary based in Newnan, Georgia ??? Yamaha Motor Manufacturing Corporation of America (YMMC).

The move, currently in the planning stages, is scheduled to begin in early 2011 and is intended to optimize manufacturing capacity and improve productivity. The transfer will facilitate the consolidation of both production management and manufacturing technologies, as well as afford an increased level of responsiveness to market needs by maximizing production in the United States, the country with the largest demand for ATVs. The production transfer to Newnan, Georgia, is expected to be complete by 2013.

???We are pleased to have this additional ATV production transitioning to YMMC in Newnan, Georgia,??? said Mike Martinez, General Manager of ATV & SxS Operations, Yamaha Motor Corp., U.S.A. ???We expect this transition to have a positive impact on the local economic community and provide worldwide recognition for our state-of-the-art facility and its ability to produce durable and reliable off-road vehicles.???

YMMC currently manufactures ATVs ranging in engine displacement from 250cc to 421cc. The production transfer will increase the facility???s production lineup to include a wide range of Yamaha ATVs up to models with large 700cc engines. This transfer allows YMPC to concentrate on manufacturing generators, multi-purpose engines and golf cars, while YMMC will also continue to manufacture golf cars, personal watercraft and Side-by-Side vehicles.

About Yamaha:
Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A., (YMUS), a leader in the motorsports market, makes the toughest, most capable and versatile ATV and Side-by-Side vehicles. The company???s ever-expanding product offerings also include motorcycles, outboard motors, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, boats, outdoor power equipment, race kart engines, accessories, apparel and much more. YMUS products are sold through a nationwide network of dealers in the United States.

Headquartered in Cypress, Calif., since its incorporation in 1976, Yamaha also has facilities in Wisconsin and Georgia, as well as factory operations in Tennessee and Georgia. For more information on Yamaha visit yamaha-motor.com.

Yamaha Motors - ATV & Motorcycles

kdeal

#34 Post by kdeal »

Steve,
I think we all feel the same way about the Cannondale. I would love for someone to take the left overs and refine this old girl the way it should have been done. tongue.gif

Unfortunately, I do not think that is going to happen now.... unsure.gif

The HP claims like the weight are always fluctuating as well. I just wanted everyone to know that I did ask those questions and was given straight answers not round about answers. The weight issue was quoted incorrectly. They are not as light as first mentioned. To get a rough idea, the motor assembly is about 20 pounds lighter than a Dale, the quad has dual exhaust but it is aftermarket and the mufflers are way lighter than a toaster (compared one on one), the tank is aluminum and it snakes thru the frame cavity so it is hard to see how much it can weigh. The 250R kit gas tnak is an illusion, as the air cleaners are where we have the tank on our 250R kit. The tank is a multi sided piece of aluminum that supposed holds 2 gallons now. The sub frame is steel, so you can base your weight calculations on that. The quoted weight of the quad in the literature provided is 360 pounds. The original quotes were for a dry bike and no battery.

On the HP issue, the quad is a 450, not a 507. The quad has true duals where most of the bikes (450 or 507) had single exhaust. There is also a new fuel injection system that was not used on the earlier bikes where HP and power was quoted before. Are dual exhaust and a new FI system worth the extra power?

jesshamner

#35 Post by jesshamner »

FI injection is worth it for the ease of use. Duals are definitely worth the power to me.

kdeal

#36 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Feb 17 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FI injection is worth it for the ease of use. Duals are definitely worth the power to me.

No I mean on he difference in HP numbers quoted...... from now to before.

cannondale27

#37 Post by cannondale27 »

From what I understand the Highland motor repeatedly failed when raced and the Cannondale motor was reliable for them according to the video Wistech posted. Don't get it.

Dachshund

#38 Post by Dachshund »

Steve, the difference between Yamaha and Highland is not just where production takes place.

If that is a 507 in the quad and they are passing it off as a 450, there will be many unhappy campers. I will reiterate what Ken said: They said it was a 69HP 450 at the wheels.

jesshamner

#39 Post by jesshamner »

I have read somewhere that the 507 isn't done yet. I think that is the 450 in the pics.

ScramblerXLE

#40 Post by ScramblerXLE »

I think it's a 450 and they're just lying about the HP. Kdeal, please don't snap at me for that man. I understand they gave you an answer that you're believing or at least giving the benefit of the doubt. Just understand that I am not.

Also, I'll be interested to see how they plan to run a GNCC (in Florida) with only 2 gallons on board. even an average rider like me would need to stop for fuel half-way through with that little ammount. The Pro's would need to stop every lap!

They're having B riders ride them from what I hear. If anyone has any contact with them, I'm a local B-rider (national 20+C) so if they want someone to ride it in GA, I'll fly there to do it! Would love to see what it's capable of!