Toasted Cannondale

TheJaspMan

#31 Post by TheJaspMan »

It's really hard to say, I'm sure it should have shut the pump off. But once wires and fuses start melting who knows what is going to happen?

NRath

#32 Post by NRath »

Those are some wicked pics. I hate it for him. Does anyone know if they hauled the pile of metal out of the woods? The motor is still intact, minus a side cover. The condition of the "heat treated" parts is definitely questionable, though! That oil filled frame has a little drawback when ignited!

Derno24

#33 Post by Derno24 »

I would say that even if the pump had no power it would still spray some due to the pressure the sytem is under.

I have to agree with Jaspman though once melting occurs all bets are off!:eek:

IRONSIDE

#34 Post by IRONSIDE »

That's the worst thing I have seen in a while. sad.gif I have an extra hood if your interested. It's silver with race cut fenders. :usa

JeffQuadShop

#35 Post by JeffQuadShop »

Yes, he took it home. Nothing can be used. sad.gif

DangerRanger

#36 Post by DangerRanger »

The harness should have shut the pump down...but if the wires were fried....it could keep going but I highly doubt it.

Tim Lenig (his father) told me the pump did get shut off...but that it had already caught the bike and fuel on fire and had been pumping fuel all over the bike before he shut it down...so it was too late.

BMW

USAMoto00

#37 Post by USAMoto00 »

WOW!:wow At least he is okay.:clap:

Jaybr

#38 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by DangerRanger
The harness should have shut the pump down...but if the wires were fried....it could keep going but I highly doubt it.

Tim Lenig (his father) told me the pump did get shut off...but that it had already caught the bike and fuel on fire and had been pumping fuel all over the bike before he shut it down...so it was too late.

BMW

Ben,

I assume the harness update still uses the stock type setup where the hot side of the pump is always hot, and the relay completes the loop by connecting ground?

Any way to reverse that so it's not always hot? Seems like cutting the positive side would work a little better in situations like this.

cannondale27

#39 Post by cannondale27 »

A relay for both the positive and the negative would do the job you could control either relay with tether also or a Emergency shut off switch.Probably though only thing to stop this once its started would be a extinguisher system like race cars have.I still wish we had stainless braided fuel lines with crimped ends throughout our quads it would be much safer.

DangerRanger

#40 Post by DangerRanger »

The harness is positive and negative controlled...they key can kill the pump, the ECU can kill the pump...and a properly wired kill will shut the ECU and pump down also. I did this to keep a pump running condition happening, let the ECU still control the pump, and to provide one more means of overriding the pump control to shut it down in an emergency. So to answer your question Jay...it is done that way.

But here is the reasons those things cannot...it you don't have a kill switch or on off switch hooked up or the key switch is bypassed then their are no backups.