The name that failure game

wistech

#31 Post by wistech »

Good news is the decompression mechanism had a screw holding the pivot in and had very little side play. The bad news is the cam lobe next to it was toast.

wistech

#32 Post by wistech »

Since the engine was under heavy load going up the hill it spooled down fast enouigh to avoid doing any damage to the cyllinder. Of all the dale engines Ive pulled apart this one by far has the best looking piston skirts and cyllinder . I guess theres a lot to be said for mobil 1 and fanatical oil /paper filter changes. Looks like MAZ was right on with his paper filter advice.

cannondale27

#33 Post by cannondale27 »

Whats up with the discoloration around the coolant passages in the head?Looks like rust?

wistech

#34 Post by wistech »

More great news . My $20 stud update kits seem to do the job very well. All nuts /studs held firm and kept the cartridge plate from moving . Even the crank plate seal didnt have the usual peeling to it that you get with the SSM cases.

cannondale27

#35 Post by cannondale27 »

Still looks frayed to me at the top.Cases should be called the slush boxes!

wistech

#36 Post by wistech »

I had time to separate the crank and check out how bad the cage wore into the rod. I didnt measure it but it looks like it only shaved maybe 1 or 2 thousanths off the outer surface. Im think it might be possible to reuse but the close measurements will tell. The cage cut into the crank pin in the usual spots but it looks reusable.

wistech

#37 Post by wistech »

Ya whats up with the staining on the coolant passage? This quad had the green stuff in it for a year , then catterpillar coolant for a few months untill I aquired some evans.
Your right about the SSM cases ,I dont think anything short of serious beefing like where the early ones are will ever stop the flexing.

Canniboomer

#38 Post by Canniboomer »

Great contest and teardown!:clap: :clap: :clap:
320 hours and a decent looking cylinder! And maybe a re-useable rod, and WITHOUT the Z400 bearing!!! Hmmmnn, I see 500 hours plus coming soon!!!smile.gif Wistech, we should be sending YOU the goodies! thanks for keeping records!

bombsquad54

wowo

#39 Post by bombsquad54 »

just amagine guys im runing wistecs best decomp lever, happyboys motor work, haydugs, 450 kit, and lets see how long it will last, 320 hours is 3 full seasons of riding, :clap: :clap: :clap: wistec your the man

bombsquad54

uh

#40 Post by bombsquad54 »

and z400 bearing