The 6hr Falicon 468cc quad

cdrookie

#31 Post by cdrookie »

Originally posted by jacobw
wouldnt a front number plate eliminate alotta mud on the radiator in muddy conditions and if you have the side rad shields that bend outward to catch more air I wouldnt think you would have a problem someone correct me if I am wrong

your wrong

cannondale27

#32 Post by cannondale27 »

I use the cannondale motorcycle radiator guard on mine.I like it because it is plastic and flimsy so it shakes and vibrates alot and tends to shed the mud better than most guards.

jacobw

#33 Post by jacobw »

Originally posted by cdrookie
your wrong

thanks rookie LOL :hammer: :hammer: tongue.gif

jacobw

#34 Post by jacobw »

so what is the cure to keep from over heating in mud races I use tape on the front uprights where you would mount rezzies and then a metal plate on my bumper I have never had alotta mud on the radiator and raced alot of muddy races anyone have any tips I think a number plate would help and rad shouds any other tips?

cdrookie

#35 Post by cdrookie »

Originally posted by cannondale27
I use the cannondale motorcycle radiator guard on mine.I like it because it is plastic and flimsy so it shakes and vibrates alot and tends to shed the mud better than most guards.

those are kind of hard to come by though, i think. thomez has one and it looked like a nice piece, just trim it to fit and lay it in place. he didn't even have it bolted in place(like most of his quad)! if anybody can find some i think they'd go pretty fast.

Derno24

#36 Post by Derno24 »

Hey guys so as not to get too carried away lets clarify a few things. For normal riding/racing Cannondale27 is right the cap on the raditor bottle is definitely a weak point. Rookie had this problem as well as I. Once I changed caps mine never came back. Now for why these ideas are good. This is useful information if you plan on running your machine in a 6hr race or 12 hr. Reason is this. Every machine at the GA race had cooling issues and they all had stock radiators. So it just isn't our machines. Alot of teams were pulling in to clean their radiators or add coolant.

All of these ideas are great, but I think a simple aftermarket set-up (double row radiator) will solve most of mine and Doug's problems. Trick will be finding a good radiator then making it fit our application for these races. I will continue using my stock set-up for normal harescrambles and my practice machine.

Just trying to clarify before someone comes out with the idea of strapping a bottle of liquid nitrogen to the quad and running lines by the radiator to cool it off in a hurry.

Just messing!

jacobw

#37 Post by jacobw »

we are thinking about running some 6 hour races and tips that would help would be benenficial that is why I was asking and tossing some ideas around to see what others had to say:) smile.gif

Derno24

#38 Post by Derno24 »

No problem just reminding everyone that this is not a Cannondale only issue. That was all.smile.gif

jacobw

#39 Post by jacobw »

ok I just wanted to make sure I wasnt stepping on toes thanks derno!biggrin.gif

cdrookie

#40 Post by cdrookie »

Originally posted by Derno24
Hey guys so as not to get too carried away lets clarify a few things.  For normal riding/racing Cannondale27 is right the cap on the raditor bottle is definitely a weak point.  Rookie had this problem as well as I.  Once I changed caps mine never came back.  Now for why these ideas are good.  This is useful information if you plan on running your machine in a 6hr race or 12 hr.  Reason is this.  Every machine at the GA race had cooling issues and they all had stock radiators.  So it just isn't our machines.  Alot of teams were pulling in to clean their radiators or add coolant.  

All of these ideas are great, but I think a simple aftermarket set-up (double row radiator) will solve most of mine and Doug's problems.  Trick will be finding a good radiator then making it fit our application for these races.  I will continue using my stock set-up for normal harescrambles and my practice machine.

Just trying to clarify before someone comes out with the idea of strapping a bottle of liquid nitrogen to the quad and running lines by the radiator to cool it off in a hurry.

Just messing!

doubt a bigger rad will solve anything if it's all packed with mud. keeping the mud off the rad is priority i'd think. anybody having overheating issues when the rad is clean? what temp do these machines usually run at? does everyone agree that the earlier cases run cooler than the SSM?