The Halls Of Destruction

wistech

#301 Post by wistech »

The Dale guys are too fussy. Heck we can use Wiseco piston pins and JE circlips on the ASSO pistons if we want. They can take it.

wistech

#302 Post by wistech »

I'm pretty sure this was a Winky engine.
Quite shockingly the crank was still rebuildable. Thanks to the engine only running a few hours. Just a little of the coating was worn off the bearing cage.

Dachshund

#303 Post by Dachshund »

Classic. I especially like the aluminum water pump, without changing the cover or coolant.

pcleiter

#304 Post by pcleiter »

"use a torque wrench on the cam caps"

Some guys don't know that there are torque specs also happen in inch-pounds. My father-in-law made it all the way from Baltimore to the Carolinas before his wheel bearings gave out due to something being torqued in foot-pounds rather than inch-pounds.

2000ex

#305 Post by 2000ex »

I picked up one machine years back that the owner said he just rebuilt the entire motor with falicon crank, etc, etc, etc. He had all the recent receipts to prove it as well as pictures to prove it. I rode the bike once and kept hearing this periodic light tapping going on and decided I would be a moron not to pull this thing apart to inspect.

Needless to say there were several small bolts and the torx head bolts swimming around in the tranny side perodically grinding themselves into the oil pump gears and tapping on the side case. Once I started tearing it apart there were things assembled so incorrectly it was embarassing. I am sure another ride or two would have culminated with a few great pictures for this thread.

Moral of the story is don't trust anyone other than a VERY select few on this site or yourself to assemble these motor's.

kdeal

#306 Post by kdeal »

Sorry, but I have to agree with 2000ex on his comments above. I even have doubts on early rebuilds I did as things have changed over time. However, the very first motor I did is still running strong without any refresh! It was a Timbo 450cc stroker motor that I had out of time initially and Wistech almost caught my hair on fire with the backfire! wacko.gif I had the timing out and had to drop the motor and put it back in time. But while diagnosing it I was looking into the air filter assembly (with no filter) and he was cranking on it when a flame shot out the front and almost roasted my eye brows!

Ah the good old times!

I recently pulled apart 3 1/2 motors from a local college with ASE engineers working on them..... oof.... they must of used a full tube of RTV on each motor! Cam caps were gorilla tight with red loctite to boot! The one way bearing on one motor exploded within the assembly!

wistech

#307 Post by wistech »

That shock wave hitting you in the face was priceless. I can't believe it didn't knock you off the stool you were sitting on. You didn't even flinch. You had the cams gears timed correctly but the guy you got them from put the cam gear on cam out of time. Who would have known unless you had been there before?

kdeal

#308 Post by kdeal »

ATK motor and a replacement ATK head. Frank was kind enough to warranty the head, but the goofball that put it together needs a long time out! mad.gif

wistech

#309 Post by wistech »

I guess you needed to cut the cord on that one ....... laugh.gif

speedfreek

#310 Post by speedfreek »

John, I was hoping you would post some of my damaged engine. I'm sure glad I only rode the Speed roughly 5 hours in the last 2 years. Not sure what's teaching me more patience; marriage or cannondales! dry.gif Is that my bearing cage too? Anyways, thanks for posting the pictures.