The Halls Of Destruction

wistech

#321 Post by wistech »

Thats what you get for messing around on an extreme sidehill. Choke cherry is not the place for that. He didnt commit to turning back down the hill right away and tried to grind it sideways .

marshall100

#322 Post by marshall100 »

The pictures never do that kind of thing justice untill your standing at the top looking back down cacking your pants.

Being a can am I'm suprised it didn't flip into limp mode after the first run.

jesshamner

#323 Post by jesshamner »

I don't get why the guy couldn't steer out of it. I don't know if he was just playing around with it sliding sideways or what. The other guy made it up easily on his last run.

Speedy2222

#324 Post by Speedy2222 »

i think this is right " cam jumped time and walked over, ate up the side of the cover and the bearing broke losing all the needles inside" is a head like this still useable?

wistech

#325 Post by wistech »

In order of failure the cage holding the balls together break apart. Then the balls fly out into the head. The cam cap on the other side holds it straight as long as it can until it torques out of the needle bearing or the shaft grinds up. Then the cam starts rubbing on the sidecover as slop increases. Tehn if you have not shut it off from the niose and clatter the slop will get so bad that the cam can actually jump over a tooth which would cause some serious valve damge and the usual bad things . From the looks of it the cam cap has a crack on bolt head from possible overtorqing or from the aftermath. I cant tell from the pic of the cam caps are mushroomed under the allen head. Overtorqing is what causes the cap to distort and eventual bearing failureon most engines.
It should be possible to repair with another cap but it will need to be checked. How much damage did the bearings do to the head ? When they fly around they wipe out everything and the scavange pumps aremostlikely trashed. Frame will need a flushing and magnets.

MX Quad Dad

#326 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Oct 24 2011, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get why the guy couldn't steer out of it. I don't know if he was just playing around with it sliding sideways or what. The other guy made it up easily on his last run.

to me it looks like he almost lost it the trip before the wreck and it almost sounds like the other guy talked him into another run. and it almost looks like he was hitting the front brakes just as he was starting to turn downward

wistech

#327 Post by wistech »

I figured Id put these where they belong. From the this is why we used tool steel wrist pins for nitrous lesson.

Brad Oakley

#328 Post by Brad Oakley »

I've been seeing this kind of engine damage for years now (thank Heavens, not too often!) and I've always found it fascinating that the first thing that a broken connecting rod does (where the rod breaks on the small end) is come out the case right into the starter motor. I've always wondered what the connecting rods have against the starter motor! lol

promod

#329 Post by promod »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Oct 27 2011, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I figured Id put these where they belong. From the this is why we used tool steel wrist pins for nitrous lesson.

WOW ohmy.gif !, Is all i have to say!, ive seen some of the first Proto WJ motors with this kind of destruction, but never the production engines, although let me re-say that, ive seen and experianced the desruction they can do, but this is the worse ive ever seen! Although i know you big guys out there maxing them out to as far as you can i guess this is common thing to see for you die-hard, still going racing and pushing them to there limits C'Dale guys!...You go Boys tongue.gif !, but to be honest its just because im a old broken down trail rider now who can still ride in the front or back with no competative edge rolleyes.gif!, and plus i like to put my bikes back in the garage as close as to the condition they were removed unsure.gif!

promod

#330 Post by promod »

QUOTE (promod @ Oct 27 2011, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW ohmy.gif !, Is all i have to say!, ive seen some of the first Proto WJ motors with this kind of destruction, but never the production engines, although let me re-say that, ive seen and experianced the desruction they can do, but this is the worse ive ever seen! Although i know you big guys out there maxing them out to as far as you can i guess this is common thing to see for you die-hard, still going racing and pushing them to there limits C'Dale guys!...You go Boys tongue.gif !, but to be honest its just because im a old broken down trail rider now who can still ride in the front or back with no competative edge rolleyes.gif!, and plus i like to put my bikes back in the garage as close as to the condition they were removed unsure.gif!

This has also made me just open up a new folder to save this stuff to in my very large collection of C'Dale downloaded info/stuff computer files im going to name..... "CDALE DESTRUCTION" laugh.gif !