The St Anthonies Special

wanablaze

#41 Post by wanablaze »

Wistech,
I have a few things I'd like to share about Cam, Ignition and Fuel timing, particular to the strokers. I'm going to call 27 tomorrow.

wistech

#42 Post by wistech »

I know of at least 3 engines built or being built that should be able to put out more power. Those guys have been oh so quiet but I know who you are. :w:

wistech

#43 Post by wistech »

After todays ride and my experience at the group ride I have decided to that this quad has WAY to much power and will need some serious tire and suspension changes to be drivable. I had Tony take if for a ride and he lit the tires through fourth gear and never could get it into 5th before it became uncontrollable fishtailing. Its just to narrow and tractionless on anything but the mx track. Ill get some plus 2 arms on it and a moto axle. A set of 20inch claws should be able to control the wheel spin.
I'm almost afraid to use some of the latest head porting tricks on the 495 . I will have to run screws in the tires all the time like Tim.

wistech

#44 Post by wistech »

Wider is for stabilty and the plus 2 plus 1 arms should get more wieght on the back. It already has a plus 1 swingarm. The tranny has the bike basket and drive gear so it should be geared somewhere around equivalent to 16/38. The claws are 20'. Id like to keep the yfz shockas but they will just be way to short for the longer arms.

wistech

#45 Post by wistech »

After the nitrous runs it seems it seems we found a new weak point. Last week a Crandon the quad was substantially down on power as I loaned out my fmf exhaust and had to run a stock toaster. The quad I was supposed to borrow never showed up so I had one night to get something else ready. My Moto is still in PA and the speed was still setup for trail riding. We burned the midnight oil installing tires, sway bars,nerfs,and the nitrous system into a drivable setup on the SAS. I installed the huge N20 tank in the stock gas tank and mounted a small 1 gallon fuel tank up in the front frame rail.
In the first TT race the quad had so so power but the handling made up for it. It cornered like it was on rails . That el cheapo swaybar I built rocks not only on the trails but also on the track. I ended up with a 3rd in the heat in front of C27 after he blew a corner.LOL
In the main the quad was still running good but I pussed out on the wholeshot again and decided to make my way up from the rear. I easily passed several in the corners and on the straights and got into the clear coming up on the leaders . I believe it was lap 4 when coming out of the split lanes and up the big jump in front of the barn the engine decided it had had enough and exploded noise I had not heard in a long time. I pulled in the clutch and waited for it to spool down which took quite a while .
I think we all knew this was coming The only thing I was bummed about is not being able to get into the drag races.

wistech

#46 Post by wistech »

It looks like the wrist pin had broke in half right in the center. The piston was still intact but the wrist pin forced the snap rings out both sides and then the top of the rod broke off. It was a 450 wiseco piston was a pretty sure it was a wiseco wrist pin as well. Had the engine locked up it might not have damaged the valves but as it spooled down the rod kept smacking the bottom of the piston and rotated it about a 1/4 turn. This was while the cams were opening and closing the valves so 3 of the valves were bent. How much force does it take to punch through a sleeve ,cyllinder wall and fold a starter in half. It broke the starer off the case and into the fan. Cool. I found pieces of the rod laying up in the front of the frame along with half a wrist pin . The other half was in the case.

We disassembled the engine last night and I was surprized to see that the crank was still straight .Rod bearing was still free. The tranny was not damaged
Looks like it will need a new case ,sleeve,valves ,piston and rod. I think I have all the parts tracked down but need to decide to rebuild it back to a 470 or do something else. I am undecided to go for 80 horse by using the 505 engine or rebuild this one with salvage parts and give it the nitrous again to go for victory. I kind of wanted the 505 to last for a little while as a drag racer so I dont want to run the juice on it. This one wont cost anything to build but will be a bit hard to break the record as its comparatively a small engine. The decisions ? HMMM

It might be possible that the wrist pin broke due to to advanced a timing. I will have to use the 1000ecm to retard the timing on nitrous or get offset the flywheel key or crank sensor for the 500ecm.

wistech

#47 Post by wistech »

The counterbalancer took several hits but it looks like it didnt strip the keyway. I think I will replace it anyway. Heres the starter. Im glad my cod piece didnt have to take that hit.LOL

wistech

#48 Post by wistech »

Almost forgot the girls. wink.gif

Happyboy

#49 Post by Happyboy »

oh john...oh my. i don't think i could take it as well as you did.

cannondale27

#50 Post by cannondale27 »

Its not bad.I believe he has enough donated parts to get it going again.Now to figure out what guys run for timing to be safer running nitrous.If that even helps.I thought for sure it would have been cracked piston leading to broke wristpin but its not.Wonder if we will need a solid wristpin!