Ease of neutral

MX Quad Dad

#41 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (Nickc711 @ Feb 21 2008, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this stuff ok for our trannys?

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/agl.aspx?zo=428617

i saw some where guys were running amsoil motor oil in their transmissions is this ok?

I have run this and their better grades of gear oil in my trannies includeing our banshee with zero problems.

What I run now is the same 10w40 Motorcycle oil that I run in the engine. Occasionaly I cheap out and save a buck a quart and use their 10w40 Premium Protection Motor oil in the trany only. their Motorcycle oil has better ratings for the engine but, I use the other oil in my truck so I useally have a few gallons around and it is a little cheaper.

cannondale27

#42 Post by cannondale27 »

Lets try not to confuse people here.There is nothing wrong with using any Amsoil motor oil in your tranny.Probably works great but the link he has posted and you quoted is for Rearend Oil.It goes in axles and such it is a Hypoid gear oil way too thick not intended for a tranny with a clutch.
[attachment=5800:Trans_oil.jpg]

Nickc711

#43 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 22 2008, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lets try not to confuse people here.There is nothing wrong with using any Amsoil motor oil in your tranny.Probably works great but the link he has posted and you quoted is for Rearend Oil.It goes in axles and such it is a Hypoid gear oil way too thick not intended for a tranny with a clutch.

thanks 27 that was my question...b/c the golden spectro motorcycle tranny oil is rated for wet clutches....my manual doesnt day anything about hypoid oil..or mabey i didnt look good enough...

thanks guys

jinx44

#44 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 22 2008, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jinx I believe most are bearings but I remember Wistech coming across a few that werent.Maybe they were just in newer motors.Here is a pic of one.You can see the little bearings in there.
[attachment=5796:Detent_0..._Medium_.jpg]

Must be newer motors. I pulled the one out of my unicorn's trans and you can't see the bearings, plus the center looks smaller diameter on the picture you posted. So I pulled the trans out of a spare cable case I have, and it looks the same as the unicorns.

cannondale27

#45 Post by cannondale27 »

Hmm I would prefer the solid ones since I would think they would be more reliable.Wonder if any are around?

jinx44

#46 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 22 2008, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm I would prefer the solid ones since I would think they would be more reliable.Wonder if any are around?

I have one I will swap you. LOL Under the load of the spring, the bearing would definetly be an improvement. That is if its a decent bearing and not going to come apart.

If I had my camera here, I would take a picture. I will tomorrow if I don't forget.

MX Quad Dad

#47 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Feb 22 2008, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I called Amsoil before I used it and was told it is a non hypoid gear oil. also that vescosity rating are differant between gear oil and motor oil.

80-90 gear oil is not very thick at operating temps.

I have a bottle of Golden spectrol that is 10w30 and it states to use were 80w gear lube is recomended.

the gear oil he was looking at is rated for limited slip applacation, which are wet clutches

Like I said I ran it for a while and had zero problems (well, I did have the ears round off on the first disc).

the only things that concern me were cold weather start-up and after I realised the timeing chain runs in the trans oil

Nickc711

#48 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (MX Quad Dad @ Feb 23 2008, 03:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I called Amsoil before I used it and was told it is a non hypoid gear oil. also that vescosity rating are differant between gear oil and motor oil.

80-90 gear oil is not very thick at operating temps.

I have a bottle of Golden spectrol that is 10w30 and it states to use were 80w gear lube is recomended.

the gear oil he was looking at is rated for limited slip applacation, which are wet clutches

Like I said I ran it for a while and had zero problems (well, I did have the ears round off on the first disc).

the only things that concern me were cold weather start-up and after I realised the timeing chain runs in the trans oil

so basically just use amsoil motor oil?

cannondale27

#49 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes the motorcycle oil.Or the golden spectro or Redline shockproof or Hondas tranny oil.

MX Quad Dad

#50 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I just looked thru the Amsoil catalog. They changed the name of their 10w40 High performance Motor Oil to 10w40 Premium protection, Same part number though. their motorcycle oil has the "SG" rating. the older 10w40 High Performance carried the same ratings as the Motorcycle oil, which I had substituted for the trany a few times. Even though the Premium Protection oil says it is "Motorcycle compatible" I prefer to run the "SG" rating especially in the engine.

Just goes to show you, you have to keep an eye on whatever you use. This is not the first time I have seen API ratings change on a particular oil. I have had two quarts of the same valvoline oil with different API rating. Also I believe the other was AMCO. Me, overlooking the AMSOIL was my fault because they did change the label or product name, but the other two had the same label.