Going on a diet

wayneschofield

#41 Post by wayneschofield »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Jan 14 2008, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would it be possible to remove 1st or 5th gear in the tranny for some weight savings?

You can remove the larger part of first gear. The small gear is part of the shaft itself, you'd have to grind it off to get rid completely. 5th gear is an easy pull out. You'll need spacers the same width as the ears were to take up the play of course.. You could fill the ends of the shift drum with good epoxy so you just find neutral below 2nd with ease and stop it going into 5th when there isn't one.

I've been looking at making a new, lower (2.4:1), ratio than first and fitting it where second goes. Using what is now first as second and then using a higher final drive. This will open up the ratios allowing for a wider range of speed for the beach race at Weston later in the year. The start is a very long straight for which 90mph+ would be useful. However, with such high gearing from the final drive first gear becomes too high for the dunes and the clutch suffers, possibly not lasting the race.

I would have to make a new shift drum but I know that's easy enough, I've done one already....

cannondale27

#42 Post by cannondale27 »

Stroker motor will pull 1st and 5th in sand easy. Wait till you try one you will be amazed at what 2mm difference makes.

Speed 1B

#43 Post by Speed 1B »

Here is my latest addition on my quest to getting lighter.

It was built by GT Performance out of Missouri. This is the same company that built my drag-lite a-arms. Its a 1-piece chromoly design and it weighs .5lb less than just the stock stem alone.

Now i gotta get it chromed up and get it on.

wayneschofield

#44 Post by wayneschofield »

Chroming makes stuff brittle don't you know? It alters the crystalline structure of the metal beneath.

That's why they don't chrome racing car wishbones like they did in the good old days....

Speed 1B

#45 Post by Speed 1B »

Finally got my spindle mount wheels.

Looks like I'll have the frame done in a few days too so it's just about time to get this thing back together and hit the track.

cannondale27

#46 Post by cannondale27 »

Bling! Nice.

ozarkdaler

#47 Post by ozarkdaler »

Wow those are bad a$$

NRath

#48 Post by NRath »

The wheels look sweet, but for a weight junky- there's a lot of extra aluminum in them!

Speed 1B

#49 Post by Speed 1B »

They are like paper. You could remove all of that extra aluminum and you would never know you did it.

The black you see in behind the wheel are staging disks. They are so the laser on the lights/timing system cant shine through the wheel and redlight you. They are plastic. The wheels are actually totally hollow in the center

NRath

#50 Post by NRath »

I sure would like to see that hot rod run in some more races- you've definitely got a work of art there!