Dirt wheels

UpsMan

#41 Post by UpsMan »

Steve, this isn't a team thing, its a business thing. Their business, not ours. How does this affect a cannondale owner? Do you feel like they are disgracing a legend? I guess I can understand that. Thats how I feel when I hear an Elvis impersonator. Or when I watch Dale Earnhardt Jr....His old man is probably spinning in his grave.

cannondale27

#42 Post by cannondale27 »

You got it. And it is about just plain old being truthful to those that dont know any better. I have no problem with any company using Cannondale parts as long as they make it clear that is what they are doing. "Its a Business thing" Sure is. Its bad Business. Business has a duty to their customers or at least a good business does. So maybe it should be advertised something like this:

Here we have a Highland Brand using leftover or used Cannondale parts and many aftermarket parts along with our Highland motor Made in ? and ? fuel injection system combined to make a Potential race winning machine that we can build for you.

Some would still buy since some cant do it themselves. This Company needs to earn my respect before even considering my support. 3 years have done nothing but made me distrust them more than when I first saw them at Indy. Am I going to go around looking for people who are misinformed. No but when I see them it is only right to say something. Anyone who doesnt in the interest of business thinking they themselves may gain from this is just as bad as those skirting ethical issues. Cripes 2nd post was someone opening up thier checkbook. I understand. I get all excited also. But its just not reality.

speedracer

#43 Post by speedracer »

I wonder if the 70 hp claim is crank or rearwheel hp?

yamadjs08

#44 Post by yamadjs08 »

I personally think this is epic, if it was produced on a large scale. From what I've seen so far I'm not getting my hopes up on anything. Plus DirtWheels is ridiculous, I stopped reading that mag years and years ago.

Although new aftermarket parts would be nice. Along with cheaper fullbore style plastics.

...But, I can't wait to race one of these things and beat him with my 10 year old hunk of aluminum! Haha.

cannondale27

#45 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats just it.But many Dirtwheels readers are good people who just dont get it.Why didnt Highland/ATK O.K. and ATK Utah hire Timbo and make it worth his time $ wise to come out there and give them all the advice and expertise they would need without a new motor?I will tell you why.Because they have already talked to him and chose to ignore his advice in almost every aspect because they didnt believe him,it required to much work and probably $.So instead they throw some new undeveloped motor in a old quad to get everyone all excited and claim to be manufacturing these things.Maybe it will work and maybe enough will be fooled.I want to see pics of the factory or factories where components are manufactured.How about testing?Until proven otherwise I think these guys are no better equipped than the rest of us here and possibly less so.They are quad builders.Not Manufacturers.

wistech

#46 Post by wistech »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ROEoTNT7o

Excuse me while I roll my eyes again at yet another hybrid Cannondale. rolleyes.gif

The VOR/highland/folan engine has been around for over half a decade and this is the best they could do. Crammed into a Dale chassis with a drop down engine cradle. How much do you want to bet the one in that dirt wheels hybrid is the exact same engine that was out of the motard.Once they got it to run that is.

I wonder how many minutes went by before they emailed their potetial investors with news and the dirtwheels link that they just like ATK are a legitimate quad company.

When will this madness end.

So they will start buying up the last of our ever dwindling supply of OEM parts to make this abortion . Find out nobody is going to fork over whatever absurd amount of cash they will need to actuall build these from scratch (even with a china production plant)and be yet another chapter in the Cannondale smashed dreams novelette.

Im going out to ride my dinosaur.
LOL

cannondale27

#47 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow nice video find!Those are obviously the enthusiasts.Seem to be great guys.Why isnt that guy promoting this new/old quad?He sure seemed honest.Even preferred the old Cannondale.Hmm.

wayneschofield

#48 Post by wayneschofield »

I deal with a Swedish ECU manufacturer, Nira, I have one of their ECUs on my race car.

Anyway, they supply the ECU for the Highland bikes and also were involved with development.
Tomas from Nira told me about them probably three or four years ago and I remember him saying that the motors were a fantastic bit of kit, giving something like 56bhp in stock trim. I did think about using one in a Dale chassis but it would have meant buying a bike, and they were VERY expensive at the time, about 11,000 Euro I seem to remember.

The effort in the feature hardly looks like a production-ready machine so, if they are looking at doing it, they would likely have to do a fresh frame to better package the engine and pipework.

My guess is they are simply testing the engines effectiveness and developing it for use in a quad. There are some differences between the Dale bike and quad engines of course, no doubt the result of development findings. The flywheels are also made by SEM and are very much like the Dale ones, so will they start falling apart when used in quads?

Dirt Wheels (AKA 'yammi-wheels') is a magazine written by journalists after all, and how often do they get stuff wrong....? Most of it. If the quad is offered for sale as-is as a 'new' machine then that is perhaps wrong. But I wouldn't expect that is going to happen for some time. It is no-way retail ready looking at it, is it?

It would for sure need some time developing it further. For example, the exhaust-wrap wouldn't be a 'production' solution to stoping it melting batteries and wiring would it? It falls to bits after a little while and therefor just wouldn't do for retail.

peterock

#49 Post by peterock »

So talked to my source. It appears this is exactly as mentioned, putting the feelers out there to see what kind of interest/response it gets. Something should be available by the middle of the year. It has to run some sort of conversion kit but probably won't be the 250r. Either way won't use the fuel tank we have as they need room for the intake. The frame. They want to stay with the cannondale geometry. However, probably won't be the actual cannondale frame. So in reality, don't even look at this as being tied to cannondale really. They have some cannondale frames to use, but obviously they would have to make more and may end up being something different, slight chance of the frames being made again though.

2000ex

#50 Post by 2000ex »

Thanks Pete for getting the scoop.

Even more of a reason to question their intentions of releasing an article with pics.

I just cannot on any level see the benefit of releasing pictures like that on a machine that will have totally different plastic, frame, tank, shocks, wheels, tires, etc, etc, etc. If anything it hurts them more than helps them in my opinion.

If they were looking for interest/response they should have just included a picture of the engine with the article, and left it up to the imagination so they get people interested. This just seems backwards