My Winter Rebuild

Derno24

#41 Post by Derno24 »

I still have to do all of that too.biggrin.gif

CdaleRacer0128

#42 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

degreasing what? the connections and stuff?..

inform me, quads as torn down as Ron's..what do i need to do more to make it tip top shape?

thomez

#43 Post by thomez »

Dialectric grease is for your electrical connections - helps waterproof them I believe. Also, remember star washers!

Derno24

#44 Post by Derno24 »

Yup go to Pep Boys they sell diaelectric grease there. A little in all conections helps keep them good. Don't go crazy with it all over the place. I learned that the hard way. Just keeps connections clean and working well. Clean all bolts of locktite so when you put new locktite on it hold as well as before if not better. This is just the small busy work I have been doing during this project. I have also been tracking down some of the other bolts on this machine so I can raplce them with stainless steel or better replacements.

LapTraffic

#45 Post by LapTraffic »

The star washers on the big battery and starter lugs is a **** good Idea. Ive had the bolts back out on me out on the trail before.

Dialectric grease is lubricant for electrons! It keeps your connectors from corroding. Only need to hit them about once a year and like Derno said, just a dab will do.

Derno24

#46 Post by Derno24 »

Yup I am just doin a dab.

In all seriosness. I am trying to replace all bolts that aren't stainless steel with stainless steel. Also so I have extra bolts too. Ones I can't find I am taking the wire wheel to. Trying to make them clean and easier to locktite. Everything gets attention with me. I am even sending my Elka's out to get serviced. I don't think I will have the quad back together by the first race February 8th, but it should be close.

LapTraffic

#47 Post by LapTraffic »

Cleaning bolts is pretty important, my mechanic buddy taught me that, just putting more locktite on no worky. smile.gif

Derno24

#48 Post by Derno24 »

I learned that the hard way. I had a bolt that kept popping out on a car I used to own. I couldn't understand why until the mechanic looked at it and said what are you trying to make a marshmallow with threads.

CANNIBALKID

#49 Post by CANNIBALKID »

what did you use to clean your frame????

Derno24

#50 Post by Derno24 »

I have been using fine scotch brite to scrub the frame and then using mothers polish to bring it too a shine. man is my frame dirty.