The 6hr Falicon 468cc quad

Derno24

#41 Post by Derno24 »

Rookie the problem is all stock radiators are single row and not that deep. Whereas an aftermarket radiator is double and thicker. Yes it is key to keep the mud off the radiator, but that is almost impossible so to add more coolant and better cooling is the answer. Most of the machines at the 12 hr had larger radiators.

kdeal

#42 Post by kdeal »

Derno,

Was there any Banshees at any of the 6 or 12 hour events you have been to? How did they fare? They have a radiator that is mounted high and not where mud from the wheels can clog it.

cannondale27

#43 Post by cannondale27 »

I agree especially now that more power is being had out of our motors.More power=more heat there is no doubt about that.I do believe that from looking at the pictures of the race that more should have been done to protect the radiators from mud.Amazing what cardboard and duct tape can do.6 hours is the kicker though.Kind of hard to make those cardboard and duct tape rigs hold up for that long.

HouserCannondale

#44 Post by HouserCannondale »

seems to me that you guys are really ignoring the mud factor in all the overheating situations. 27 has a good point about the larger engine im sure will creat more heat, but no matter how big the radiator is, if it is completely blocked from airflow, the engine will eventually overheat. overheating isnt as big of a deal if its for a short time, but in a situation where the bike does not stop, as the 6 hour race, the longer the bike is hot, the more damage it does. haydugs bike was a good example, all the heat in the engine eventually took a toll on the oil, and that led to other things. I read someobdy mentioned a pusher fan infront of the radiator. you could create some sort of a air dam, or wall a couple inches infront of the radiator to block all the mud, remove the stock fan, and just use a large fan on the front of the radiator to push the air through. I guarntee a large 8 or 10 inch automotive fan will push more air than any set of air scoops could funnel into the radiator.

cannondale27

#45 Post by cannondale27 »

I wish I had pics of the setup I used for Mud Harescrambles.It aint pretty but the only mud that get in radiator is from when radiator is under water!Full fenders with extensions going to front bumper.Flat stock shrouds with tape completely sealing off the sides.Alot of mud comes from your own front wheels.

Derno24

#46 Post by Derno24 »

Hey I agree mud is an issue, but where do you go with it. You don't want to mess with yourself as far as being able to get at things to repair them. Remember 6-12 hrs on a quad anything can go bad and the last thing you need to do is tear crap out of your way that doesn't need to be there. One thing we have already discussed is using the pressure washer more often. We used it twice over the race.

banzairx7

#47 Post by banzairx7 »

A thicker radiator doesn't help cooling as much as you would think. For every doubling in radiator thickness you are lucky to see a 30% increase in cooling capacity. Since the air going through your thicker radiator has had to pass over the hot fins in front of it. As the air goes through it gets hotter & hotter, in turn it is not able to reduce radiators temps very much by the time it gets all the way through.

Derno24

#48 Post by Derno24 »

Just the increased capacity will allow the machine to run cooler. Besides this isn't theory I have seen this work. I agree keeping mud out of the area is good too, but it just isn't realistic.

Guys we don't need a huge jump in cooling only a better set-up that is all.

Derno24

#49 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by banzairx7
For every doubling in radiator thickness you are lucky to see a 30% increase in cooling capacity.  

Last time I checked %30 is alot!

cannondale27

#50 Post by cannondale27 »

Derno now you got a project.Go for it!Like I said I am in for one.Never know how big a motor or heat causing mods I will be doing in the future so it would be worth it to me even if mud werent a factor.