Honduh's

Cdale_racer_669

#51 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

ive tuned both carbs and FI, FI is alot easier IMO.

mxer450

#52 Post by mxer450 »

Originally posted by jacobw
enough that we could have 3 reliable dales that haul azz and never have any issues:rotf :rotf

$9k for the complete chassis, engine and all related engine components.the rest is all stuff that most everybody upgrades anyway IE........shocks, wheels and tires, nerfs, etc
basically about the same amount of money it cost to build any national caliber race bike.

jwheat

#53 Post by jwheat »

Originally posted by mxer450
well first off not everyone has access to a dyno.second like i said earlier if there 1 major program to run?i would asume not.so you need to do trial and error to see when the bike runs best.

A dyno is as necessary with a carb as it is with fuel injection. You can do both without a dyno by doing a plug chop.....a dyno is just more accurate. Laptop tuning is no more trial and error than jetting. If it's lean you richen it up 'til it's right. If it's rich, just lean it out 'til it's right. Same way with jets.

The advantages of laptop tuning:
1. No smelling like gas.
2. No dirty hands.
3. Much quicker to adjust.
4. Easier to fine tune.
5. Don't have to run down to local motorcycle shop if you don't have the right jets in your toolbox.
6. Can tune completely through-out the RPM spectrum....no flat spots.
7. Can change your rev limiter as often as you like without buying a different cdi box for each setting.
8. Can change your timing curve and timing advance as often as you like and for wherever in the powerband you want it to come on (and don't have to buy a bunch of different cdi boxes).

And contrary to someone's earlier post....FI does produce more HP than a carb because it better atomizes the fuel and sprays it directly where it needs to go. It doesn't mix it up and hope cylinder vacuum pulls the right amount in.

mxer450

#54 Post by mxer450 »

Originally posted by jwheat
A dyno is as necessary with a carb as it is with fuel injection. You can do both without a dyno by doing a plug chop.....a dyno is just more accurate. Laptop tuning is no more trial and error than jetting. If it's lean you richen it up 'til it's right. If it's rich, just lean it out 'til it's right. Same way with jets.

The advantages of laptop tuning:
1. No smelling like gas.
2. No dirty hands.
3. Much quicker to adjust.
4. Easier to fine tune.
5. Don't have to run down to local motorcycle shop if you don't have the right jets in your toolbox.
6. Can tune completely through-out the RPM spectrum....no flat spots.
7. Can change your rev limiter as often as you like without buying a different cdi box for each setting.
8. Can change your timing curve and timing advance as often as you like and for wherever in the powerband you want it to come on (and don't have to buy a bunch of different cdi boxes).

And contrary to someone's earlier post....FI does produce more HP than a carb because it better atomizes the fuel and sprays it directly where it needs to go. It doesn't mix it up and hope cylinder vacuum pulls the right amount in.

dude, you make it sound like your tuning the space shuttle.you could have made you list 2 numbers lower considering #4 and #6 are thew same and so are #7 and #8.
i dont know about you guys but i put my bike together called tc racing and asked them what jet i need to run with there exhaust and i was DONE, havent touched it since.
you guys keep your lap tops and change your rev limiter(which doesnt really make sence unless you wanna blow your engine or youve changed the cam). and ill stick with my old out dated carb.

mxer450

#55 Post by mxer450 »

Originally posted by ******
So you can buy a completely updated national level setup MX ATK for $11,500 strait from an ATK dealer that can run on regular pump gas and the Honda you ride cost $9,000 for just your engine and chassis?. Then you have to add shocks, tires, axle, handlebars, plastic, nerfs ect... rolleyes.gif

So your now way over the cost you would have into the same caliber dale with the $300 D&M kit with FREE tech help anytime from a site like this and from Optimum themselves (just give Scooter a call he will explain how to work it in a way that even a Jersey educated person could understand) and your still in a better position with the Dale/ATK.  :usa

i still run pump gas too,so if you can get one for a $11,500 complete mine is done for like $15k just $3500 more.
and say what you want to say about how much it cost me, my bike will have a smoother ride off jumps and out handle any dale, HANDS down, thats just a fact go ask farr, gust, spader, natalie, or any other what theyed rather be sitting on. o yea you dont have just go back 2-3 race seasons ago and what where they riding?dales?hahaha not a chance.......HYBRIDS, which is what they would still be riding if it werent for the production rule.

MX Quad Dad

#56 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Originally posted by mxer450
i still run pump gas too,so if you can get one for a $11,500 complete mine is done for like $15k just $3500 more.
and say what you want to say about how much it cost me, my bike will have a smoother ride off jumps and out handle any dale, HANDS down, thats just a fact go ask farr, gust, spader, natalie, or any other what theyed rather be sitting on. o yea you dont have just go back 2-3 race seasons ago and what where they riding?dales?hahaha not a chance.......HYBRIDS, which is what they would still be riding if it werent for the production rule.

You can say what you want.

If you beef up the chassie on the honda and tune the suspension for your riding style, it may out handle the a out of the box ATK. But even as your rideing abillity changes the tuneing of your suspension changes. So if you compare a dialed in suspension to a box stock suspension the dialed in will out perform, no matter what brand of shock or ATV you are comparing. At least you can get a good shock to start with on the ATK, and no need to strip down a ATK to add gussets.

Also, a little lesson in life. Pro's ride the "Dollar". Before the PRODUCTION rule the aftermarkit companies were dishing out the most support (aftermarkit = HYBRIDS).

If you think what brand wins the pro class is the best, Maybe you should go buy a SUSIE. I believe thats what won the championship last year?

Just curius? What type of racing do you do and what class do you ride??

John Thomas

#57 Post by John Thomas »

I don't want to hurt your feelings boys but you can put a carb on you cdale and get 4 more hp. Not a joke. You need a down draft 40 mm FCR carb. They are about 600 new and work great. Huge increase in bottom end and top end will rev to about 13200. Just put the carb on an original cdale motor and it will beat an atk rebuild. The carb is desgined for street bikes in the 900 to 1300 range. You could find one on ebay for 300. Then you need a small snomobile fuel pump that has about 7 to 8 lbs. This is a secret boys. I laugh everytime someone goes on about how good fuel injection is on the cdale. This is the real truth, Fuel injection is much better but................cdale system is not. Cannodale purchased an australian company the designed the system in the 1960's, yes very old injuction technology. The company was bankupt and in storage. Cannodale got these for cents on the dollar, only reason why the used injection as real fuel injection is expensive. If you don't believe me you can pull up thier quartly reports for the last 5 years and see everything they have done. I check all of them when they went out of business a while back. All the specific companies that fabricated parts for them are in the reports aswell. Good info to know and I though the adults out there will realize and understand.

Happyboy

#58 Post by Happyboy »

So you can just throw a carb on the dale huh? Oh, I bet you meant change the entire intake to add the carb. Then yeah, I bet you can add some ponies. Just like we have already been doing, changing the intake trying to get more air in to add more power. Its not the carb that is adding the horsepower, its the added intake mods you do to add the carb. My goodness, we have some real boneheads on both sides of these arguements. You pick things out of facts that you want to argue for. Just leave this crap alone already. EFI is great because it allows you to adjust across the entire spectrum, not just in one spot. Now, our EFI might not be the greatest but it is better than nothing.

John Thomas

#59 Post by John Thomas »

No you don't have to change the intake system much at all. This is the problem with you cannondale guys you are not open to anything that breaks your technology path. The carb bolts right on. All you need is some automotive intake boot to stretch and fit. Simple. If you bore all the intake tract and get more air flow it will help both carb and efi. Any idot should know if you get more are flow you get more hp. Now look wheather you want to accept it or not an FCR carb is more efficient at producing hp than the cdale's efi system, and I don't care how long it takes to adjust. It also make the engine run much smoother. The engine produces better characteristics than any efi mapping. Befor you discredit me try it or talk to someone besides me who has. Also The fuel pump should tell you all you need to know. It is off of late 80's ford rangers. This is not new technology. Its old crap developed in the 1960's. If you happyboy are so smart have you check cdale finacial reports to see what I was talking about. Probably not your just a bolt head. Find out all the fact about your cadale and get back to me. Plus are you a teenage kid or adult? Leave this to educated adults.

John Thomas

#60 Post by John Thomas »

Also you save 6lbs by puting an FCR carb on. hahahahaha