The St Anthonies Special

wistech

#51 Post by wistech »

Just been doing a bit of research. They call for 4-8 degrees retard on timing. High compression is fine. 100 octane minumum fuel. (the last fuel was u4 which was stale so that might have been a factor). A longer duration exhaust cam and less overlap is also a good idea. I will be sticking the high lift cams back in this engine as it was down on power with the stock cams. Next time we will dyno run until it blows chunks on the video . blink.gif

Happyboy

#52 Post by Happyboy »

What I was told was retarding the timing is helpfull but not necessary unless you are going for really high hp lift. Even my 15hp was not enough to really need it. You also need it to run rich which you did. There are also alot of peeps that run premium fuel with NOS as well. Unless you were on the NOS when it blew I wouldn't blame it on the NOS.

wistech

#53 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Aug 5 2007, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh john...oh my. i don't think i could take it as well as you did.

I dont worry at all about this engine. Its was born to sacrifice itself in the name of power for all of us.
Its shown us a lot of firsts.
Serious power from a 500ecm,first to use harley injectors,first to 55 hp 65hp and 70hp.
First in extreme porting. First with nitrous oxide. Pioneer of high compresion stroker engines.
Its also a good engine to test flywheels as it seems to be able to break any one installed.LOL
We have always learned new things and as long as the parts keep getting donated it will continue to push the limits.
Although it seems to be taking its fair share of my engine case inventory LOL .

The main reason I dont mind is because its just so much fun to hit the go button. That last race was the most fun Ive had on a quad . I was really getting comfortable with the capabilities of the chassis. That was the first time I was able to pass most of the other riders at will in the corners or the straights.

The SAS is still open for anyone daring enough to ride it and see if they can explode it as good as I can.

Sand_Blaster

#54 Post by Sand_Blaster »

Well thats a good way to ruin a motor wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif Nice carnage

kdeal

#55 Post by kdeal »

So let me get this straight, your rod did not go into the tranny? LOL

[attachment=4341:Dyno_Queen_1_.JPG]

wistech

#56 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Aug 5 2007, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So let me get this straight, your rod did not go into the tranny? LOL
[attachment=4341:Dyno_Queen_1_.JPG]

Nope the tranny was not penatrated. And it will always be that way . EEWWWW!!!!!!

wistech

#57 Post by wistech »

Thanks for all the parts donations . It looks like I have everything to get it back together. Ill send the crank off to Tim to be checked and a rod installed. The head will be repaired and used on the 505 . Im go with a new head , try some new porting and possibly a new intake tract design.. It will be modded for the dual exhaust as well.

NRath

#58 Post by NRath »

Those have got to be the most nasty carnage pics I can remember seeing! I bet the sounds were wicked.

I admire the work you put into them and look forward to seeing what you come up with with every post.

wistech

#59 Post by wistech »

It was an explosion all right. I just checked the head. All 4 valves were bent but NONE of the seats were damaged . That is such great news . SOOO much less work. Should have it put back together by the weekend.

Happyboy

#60 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (wistech @ Aug 7 2007, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was an explosion all right. I just checked the head. All 4 valves were bent but NONE of the seats were damaged . That is such great news . SOOO much less work. Should have it put back together by the weekend.

WOW! no seat damage is awesome. So you pretty much just have to replace a bunch of darn parts....and a case. You think you are going to reuse that case? Come on John! You can do it!