Before it begin - The Jesus Tomb March 4th

Smitty911

#51 Post by Smitty911 »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Mar 6 2007, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, smitty...the bible is 100% accurate....you beleive that John under the influence of the holy spirit wrote the below?

1 John 5:7????????8
"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one."

What I have actually said and believe is that "The Bible is the inerrant word of God in the original manuscripts." Now I have also admitted to there being a couple of typos and copiest errors.

Does this mean that my statement above is wrong. No, we don't have the original manuscripts. But we do have thousands of copies and we can easily see the typos and copiest errors. Of couse they DO NOT change the nature or the subject of the text. They are alos less that 1%. This of course is being verified with each new copy found. The Dead Sea Scrolls confirmed that much of what we have in our Bible is what they had along time ago. I say much of what because some of the manuscripts of the Dead Sea Scrols were to damaged to read.

If you are trying to tell me that a Bear (the animal) is recording anything, I will take it as a joke. In the verse prior to that one the term "beareth' (witness) is used. So in the King James Version they dropped the "eth", so in old english this was probably correct for the time.

In context the verse is telling about the Trinity Doctrine. No real mistory there, unless you have a different opinion.

I'm all ears on this one.

Smitty

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Mar 6 2007, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have always entertained the idea that we might actually just be atoms and protons etc floating around in some giants body.Think about it biggrin.gif

Been there done that, transcentental meditaion, self hypnosys, etc. What if we are a figment of someone elses dreams.

At this point I feel it is all balony.

We instictivly know what is right and wrong. Some cultural pressure will change initial understanding of that. But it does say in the Bible that his laws are written on our hearts. Please don't look for them on your heart could be fatal and they are the small print in any contract. This of course speaks for God and against Evolution.

Smitty

Smitty911

#52 Post by Smitty911 »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Mar 6 2007, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Facts proving God created the universe or even exists? I gotta hear these. Sorry man, if there were facts backing this up then we wouldn't have to have faith.

Happyboy,

See we can agree on a couple of items. The main one is "if there were facts backing this up then we wouldn't have to have faith."

But do all people accept the facts. My Point of View is Nope. People want to hide their actions in the dark where nobody can see them.

When Jesus was talking and teaching and everything he did was something only the promised Messiah could do did all the Jews believe him. Nope.

Facts that God created the universe.

1. The universe exist.
2. The Order.
3. Creation of earth and Life
4. Moral absolutes

Those should get us started nicely. biggrin.gif

Time now for a general disclaimer:
I do not now, in the past, or in the furture, believe I am 100% correct on any thought presented. Should you have a differnet Point of View, and care to post, please be willing to answer questions in regards to your P.O.V. as mine are open to your questions.

Thanks

Smitty

Happyboy

#53 Post by Happyboy »

John didn't write the above....even though it is in the king james bible.

Smitty911

#54 Post by Smitty911 »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Mar 6 2007, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
John didn't write the above....even though it is in the king james bible.

Could you provide the source.

I get credited with all sorts of things that I didn't do. But with a name like John Smith, I have to accept it.

I read into things to much and I would rather not have that held against me as well, so I would ask;
Your point is what????? That the name of the book was not written by him?????

Clarity please.

Thanks

Smitty

Happyboy

#55 Post by Happyboy »

Smitty911

#56 Post by Smitty911 »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Mar 6 2007, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Happyboy,

So the comma of John is your point? In several translations of the Bible words have been added to clarify a point based on new knowledge of the language being translated. Usally these added words are put into brackets to show that they have been added for clarity and do not exist in the original manuscripts.

Does highlighting an area with additional words make something wrong? I don't think so. In hindsite people may need to clarify there thoughts and position. Pretty common, I need to do it daily.LOL

Are you saying that because words where added to clarify a point that the rest of the Bible supports, that the whole book should be thrown out or isnt valid.

Smitty

cannondale27

#57 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE(cannondale27 @ Mar 6 2007, 08:24 PM)

I have always entertained the idea that we might actually just be atoms and protons etc floating around in some giants body.Think about it

Been there done that, transcentental meditaion, self hypnosys, etc. What if we are a figment of someone elses dreams.

At this point I feel it is all balony.

We instictivly know what is right and wrong. Some cultural pressure will change initial understanding of that. But it does say in the Bible that his laws are written on our hearts. Please don't look for them on your heart could be fatal and they are the small print in any contract. This of course speaks for God and against Evolution.

Smitty

How do you or anyone else know that a atom doesnt think right or wrong?Am I right in saying that when you say we know right or wrong it means we have a conscience(sp)?Last I heard it wasnt measurable or identifiable so how can anyone presume even a atom doesnt have one?Brings up another question.Just because YOUR conscience says its right or wrong what if someone elses says opposite?

Happyboy

#58 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (Smitty911 @ Mar 6 2007, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does highlighting an area with additional words make something wrong? I don't think so. In hindsite people may need to clarify there thoughts and position. Pretty common, I need to do it daily.LOL

Are you saying that because words where added to clarify a point that the rest of the Bible supports, that the whole book should be thrown out or isnt valid.

those words were not added to clarify something. They were added by someone becuase they thought it should be added. There is a difference. To say that EVERYTHING in the bible is 100% but to say not everything was actually there when it was written doesn't make sense.

As for your last comment...talk about drawing conclusions. You are the one that has said that if anything in the bible were wrong then all of christianity would crumble, not me. I have no problem understanding that the book was not written by god, but by man. I have no problem in reconciling facts of science with my creation without turning by cheek to either. I have no problem adminitting that what we are or where we came from is beyond my understanding whether I have a belief one way or the other.

UPSMAN isn't the only one with an extremist view on here guys. May not be the same extreme view, but its extreme none the less.

cannondale27

#59 Post by cannondale27 »

Well said Happyboy.I agree.Have given up trying to express it though.

harleypitbull1

#60 Post by harleypitbull1 »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ Mar 6 2007, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
those words were not added to clarify something. They were added by someone becuase they thought it should be added. There is a difference. To say that EVERYTHING in the bible is 100% but to say not everything was actually there when it was written doesn't make sense.

As for your last comment...talk about drawing conclusions. You are the one that has said that if anything in the bible were wrong then all of christianity would crumble, not me. I have no problem understanding that the book was not written by god, but by man. I have no problem in reconciling facts of science with my creation without turning by cheek to either. I have no problem adminitting that what we are or where we came from is beyond my understanding whether I have a belief one way or the other.

UPSMAN isn't the only one with an extremist view on here guys. May not be the same extreme view, but its extreme none the less.

I dont think smitty meant that if anything in the bible was wrong that christianity would crumble. I think he was referring to the assumption of jesus's remains being found in a tomb. Christianity beleives that jesus died and rose again on the third day and that his spiritual and physical body accended into heaven. Therefore if his remains were found in a tomb, it would or could cause christianity to crumble.