This cracks me up!!! A post from atvriders

MX Quad Dad

#51 Post by MX Quad Dad »

WOW we did get a little off topic lol. but at least we are still talking HP. The one thing I like about the members (engine builders) here is they useally back thier claims by posting the dyno sheet.

thedeatons

#52 Post by thedeatons »

LOL....

I personally think it is SPECTACULAR that the big 4 is finally nearing my opinion of a race ready quad. So far KTM is the closest, but the others will be right behind I am sure. I would like to see different option packages though, like on the car lots. An MX package with nerfs, tether, long travel, etc. just for an example.

The next thing that needs to be addressed is a capable kid's quad from the big four. So far we are all having to go Taiwanese to get anything remotely capable of out of the box racing. Polaris made a nice looking 50 (the black one), but the suspension sucks and it is a lead weight. I think it weighs more than my Dale. Anyway, that is my rant. I just want more for the kids... A little more of my rant: Right now I have some time on my hands, as I am out of a job. So, I am transplanting a 1991 KX60 engine into my daughter's DRR70. I figure if the kids deserve bikes like the KTM 60s, and the KX60 and 65, they certainly deserve a kick-butt shifter race quad..... (P.S. I know about the American maed Cobra, I hear they are having engine problems, and they cost over $8k, remind you of any other manufacturer? "cough-cough")

MX Quad Dad

#53 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Yeah I hear you. the japs keep claiming race ready but, my ideal of race ready is to be able to pick it up at the dealer with out any add-ons and at least be able to pass tech inspection.

wasn't that polaris 50 a taiwan made quad

thedeatons

#54 Post by thedeatons »

LOL... not sure....

Yeah, the KTM is nice, but still not a Moto. The Moto had nerfs and a dampener, and Ohlins instead of WP. The Moto is still the only true race ready quad. I cannot count how many tracks I have been to that require nerfs, even in practice. Until it comes standard it is not race ready. Moto didn't need any options, because everything was standard.....

desertbound

#55 Post by desertbound »

The KTM comes with nerfs, and a map select for the cdi. Nerfs are required at any AMA sanctioned event. So is a kill switch. Whether they enforce it or not is the tracks deal. WP shocks are very good. The KTM's msrp is around 12 grand for the 505, but even here in socal people are getting them for around $8200 OTD.

The KTM is race ready. So is the Can Am. You could literally unload from truck straight from dealer and pass any tech inspection at any track. The shocks are even hi-lo adjustable.

Crazie

#56 Post by Crazie »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Dec 16 2008, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The KTM comes with nerfs, and a map select for the cdi. Nerfs are required at any AMA sanctioned event. So is a kill switch. Whether they enforce it or not is the tracks deal. WP shocks are very good. The KTM's msrp is around 12 grand for the 505, but even here in socal people are getting them for around $8200 OTD.

The KTM is race ready. So is the Can Am. You could literally unload from truck straight from dealer and pass any tech inspection at any track. The shocks are even hi-lo adjustable.

Agree on the KTM. I think I'm in love with that 505sx. I took a close look at one at MotoWorld when I was out there and they look really well constructed. I love the Dales because they are so unique, but if I were buying new today, the KTM would be at the top of my list.

desertbound

#57 Post by desertbound »

When work gets better, I am getting one. I built KTM's test track in temecula in late 07. It was cool to see them testing out the quads before they were even released to the public. I had to sign a confidentiality agreement and everything. I have a certificate here for a $2000 rebate. I have to order straight from KTM, but no biggy. Money is the only thing holding me back. NExt season probably. I"ll sell the wifes 426ex and she'll get the glamis. Or as I see it, I'll have 2 quads. Ha ha ha.

On that note, if anyone in the San Diego, Anaheim or Pheonix area want to go to the supercross races, I can get you tickets. I build those tracks too.

cannondale27

#58 Post by cannondale27 »

I bet you were on tv.I remember watching a show where they built the Anaheim track from start to finish.Pretty cool!The 505 motor still worries me in the KTM's but that 525 is proven.How about the new Polaris?They have that motor and they sure made alot of improvement this year.Bombsquad sure had them working awesome!

Kuma

#59 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Dec 16 2008, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When work gets better, I am getting one. I built KTM's test track in temecula in late 07. It was cool to see them testing out the quads before they were even released to the public. I had to sign a confidentiality agreement and everything. I have a certificate here for a $2000 rebate. I have to order straight from KTM, but no biggy. Money is the only thing holding me back. NExt season probably. I"ll sell the wifes 426ex and she'll get the glamis. Or as I see it, I'll have 2 quads. Ha ha ha.

On that note, if anyone in the San Diego, Anaheim or Pheonix area want to go to the supercross races, I can get you tickets. I build those tracks too.

You can count me in for Anaheim!

desertbound

#60 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Dec 16 2008, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bet you were on tv.I remember watching a show where they built the Anaheim track from start to finish.Pretty cool!The 505 motor still worries me in the KTM's but that 525 is proven.How about the new Polaris?They have that motor and they sure made alot of improvement this year.Bombsquad sure had them working awesome!

This will be my first year doing anything but San Diego. I'm excited though. I also do the dirt work for the monster trucks here in San Diego.

Because of the type of riding I do, I'd love to try out the 525 outlaw. I have really seen those things get up and move.