Indy Dealer Show

ScramblerXLE

#51 Post by ScramblerXLE »

Trav, that should not be true man! It couldn't be run in Pro or Pro-am because of production rules, but If I wanted to build a quad in my garage out of tube stock and a engine from some obscure dirt bike manufacturer like VOR or something it would totally be fine! There are no such rules for any of the 'amateur' classes! If you don't believe me, talk to Jeff Canfield about it... he's the technical advisor. But at the Pro riders meeting this year they talked about homolugation and our series doesn't have any rule regarding it, and it was unanimously agreed that it didn't need one. I'm fairly certain that normal AMA homulgation rules do not apply at all to GNCC and that the only class you have to run 'Production' in at all would be XC1 or XC2.

Not trying to be a jerk, I'd just like to see it out there and I think you'd be alowed.

P.S. I still want to ride it. biggrin.gif lol

jesshamner

#52 Post by jesshamner »

I just read the AMA rules. I think the problem here is that it would be classified as a Cannondale/ATK because it would be based on the frame. Otherwise, for it to be considered a Highland, they would have to go through the approval process which requires 100 working models as proof of production.

I would suggest a 6 hour or 12 hour race as a torture test. Maybe have a factory team and then a average joe racer team. That way Scrambler and I could get in on some test! biggrin.gif

ScramblerXLE

#53 Post by ScramblerXLE »

Yes, but that only applies to the Pro and Pro-Am class which requires that the frame and the engine be matched. Other than that they could run it in whatever class they like and at signup call it a Highland and who care's. Realistically (not to downplay the work you've done with the engine) but the current iteration of this quad really is a heavily modified cannondale, so calling it that seems reasonable to me. But either way, if you're not in XC1 or XC2, it could be ran because there's no production rule outside of those classes. And officially, GNCC has no set homolugation rule according to Racer Productions in the Pro Rider meeting in December.

I say, sign it up as a Highland if someone asks (which they won't) then change it to say ATK. Or sign up as an ATK and who cares because everyone will know what it really is.

jesshamner

#54 Post by jesshamner »

I went back and re-read the rules. I think you might be right. Anything that is noted as a "STOCK" OR "PRODUCTION" class requires 100 working machines. All other classes are considered "MODIFIED". I say run it as well.

But as for running it as a Cannondale, that wouldn't be a very good business decision. You don't need to enter a sanctioned race for torture testing. I would think that it is more of a publicity or advertising campaign. Kind of like what KYMCO did with the 12 hour races. If I were in that situation, I would not want to call this new quad something that everyone, besides this community, sees as a failure. That's bad business.

Happyboy

#55 Post by Happyboy »

Publicly testing a quad or bike is very risky. If it performs thats great, but if it fails even for a minor reason everyone sees it. Entering it in minor races secretly allows you to work out bugs which are bound to pop up. Until its all buttoned up its a good idea to keep it low key. Low key as you can have with 60+ hp on a cannondale frame. lol

jesshamner

#56 Post by jesshamner »

You are exactly right Happyboy. Look at the Can-Am. It is now nicknamed the Can-Am DNF450.

ScramblerXLE

#57 Post by ScramblerXLE »

well that's perfectly understandable if that's why they don't want to test it at the GNCC. I was simply pointing out that the rules don't prohibit it from entering.

speedracer

#58 Post by speedracer »

I really like the look of this new machine,but I am Cannondale bias.I hope Highland makes a go at this,I just wonder what the price tag for this quad will be.Hey Trav,how about offering a engine kit for the 507,cradle,wiring ect.I would love to have 70 hp in my drag Dale!(with out NOS) wink.gif

cannondale27

#59 Post by cannondale27 »

I just feel Cannondale and their dream has been picked over kind of like vultures do to a carcass.Its great if a new company wants to bring a new USA made quad but then do it.But not using whats left of Cannondales to make others think that there is something actually being produced.

peterock

#60 Post by peterock »

If it wasn't for how unique our frames are, no one would know the difference. In other words, if say honda went under or whatever and they used left over honda frames to get off the ground, no one would know the difference or say anything.