The 6hr Falicon 468cc quad

cdrookie

#51 Post by cdrookie »

i think it very realistic to keep mud out of the rad and pretty unrealistic to think that a larger rad will keep the machine cool enough to last 6-12 hours. how long would it take to get an extra quart or so of coolant hot enough to boil? the time it takes to blow off the rad enough to get all the mud out of the fins(especially with a thicker rad) would take way more time (over a 6-12 hr time period) than MAYBE having to remove a guard.

Derno24

#52 Post by Derno24 »

Rookie you haven't seen Randy's pressure washer. It'll knock you off your feet.

cannondale27

#53 Post by cannondale27 »

Another hint.Use Evans it doesnt need pressure to keep from boiling.This coolant has been making steady inroads into more and more peoples quads.I am a firm believer in the stuff even without the majical fix it does for our valvecovers.

Enlarging the bleed hole is another one.

CD You are probably right.But it wont hurt except in winter and a piece of cardbord over radiator will take care of excessive cooling we have now in cold weather.

Jaybr

#54 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by ******
My ATK is running hotter with the evans in it then when the stock green stuff in it:confused:

That would be some interesting testing. I bet the evans appears to run a little hotter, but probably much more consistent throughout the motor. Water transfers heat better than anything, but boils and forms vapor pockets and hot spots. Temp sensor may say its cooler, but may not be in important spots in the motor.

I was in a local stock car shop yesterday (I live in Nascar country) and they said bring them measurements and a drawing and they could get me a radiator no problem.

cannondale27

#55 Post by cannondale27 »

That is because it puts more heat into radiator where it belongs.Inside your motor it is cooler.You will not boil out the Evans ever.Our fans are going on at 160 that is really low.

HouserCannondale

#56 Post by HouserCannondale »

evans is defenatly a good idea because it would never boil because it is oil based. how much of a difference in heat transfer is there between evans and water/antifreeze?

Exodus

#57 Post by Exodus »

Colby raced in Texas a few weeks ago, they had a very muddy track and a good share of the teams there lost their motors due to overheating from the mud. Texas mud is sticky and it gets into everything, they pressure washed on every other lap I think. And that diffently helped them get to the podium. They also used expanded metal in front of the radiator to stop the mud there instead of cramming the radiator full. Since cooling seems to be a huge key in winning, maybe think about moving the radiator to a better location. I'm not real sure where, but even if it didnt cool quite as well, it might be a better trade off to washing it. Just a thought, another idea would maybe be a screen that would take no more than a few seconds to change out. Something you could slide in front of the radiator and lock it with a clip. These are just ideas, I think Derno is on the right rack with cooling. The motor is strong, we just need to figure a way to keep it cool.

theJeStEr1340

#58 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Exodus, like tear off's for your goggles, but for your radiator.

Derno24

#59 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by cannondale27
That is because it puts more heat into radiator where it belongs.Inside your motor it is cooler.You will not boil out the Evans ever.Our fans are going on at 160 that is really low.

Hey guys not trying to start something, but I have been paying alot of extra attention to the cooling system and happened across this. What you are getting at is wrong. If ****** fan is running more it is due to more heat. I am not saying evans is bad just going by what was said.

No onto where the problem is. If that is true and it does run hotter you guys are saying it is because more of the heat is in the radiator. That can't be true because Cannondale Radiators don't have a temp sensor located there. It is located in the head. That would mean there is more heat where it should not be in the head. Just something to chew on.

I think it is important to know this when figuring ways to cool the beast. The only way to know for sure if it is truely running hotter would be to put a temp sensor in that you could read while riding. So you could monitor it better. Actually see the temp it is at. It may be that evans is hotter in general, but only 5 degrees. The other thing to look at would be to see if that temp goes higher faster than water. If it maintains temps better than that would be a plus.

HouserCannondale

#60 Post by HouserCannondale »

derno what your saying about the fan and running hotter makes sense. seems from what I have seen that the evans does in fact not transfer heat quite as well as water/antifreeze and that is what causes heat to build up more in the cooling system, in turn causing the fan to run more. I think that for the best cooling in normal situations, that water/antifreeze mix is the best, but for extreme temperatures, even though it may not transfer heat as well, I would say that the evans would be a better solution in extreme heat just because of the fact that it will not boil over or form air pockets.