Billet Stock Rods

peterock

#61 Post by peterock »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Oct 14 2009, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about those of us who have cases that have around .008?I personally have never seen a case that had .014 endplay.If it did it was either crank assembled wrong or improper measuring Notably those who measure with crankplate gasket installed.That is a no no since it settles and you lose endplay.

If anyone has any issues of it being too tight I'll have it sent in to be corrected. Tim didn't think it would be an issue for anyone but that everyone should be made aware of it.

kdeal

#62 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Oct 14 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I had .043 when I did my 495? So I shimmed it.

Patrick,

.043" is a lot! Are you sure? I have a motor on the bench right now that specs out at .0235" (with the cartridge plate seal in place) and that is probably the biggest amount of play I have ever seen. Steve tells me I'm crazy, but I have had several in the .015" to .020" range. I almost always use about .008" to .012" worth of shims to get them around .005" end play (without cartridge plate seal). I use a bolt on jig with a good quality dial indicator off of the flywheel side of the crank. I then can just push the crank up (gravity will hold it down) to get my reading. So if anything I am on the short side of the measurement. I don't believe anybody has a better set-up to measure this with. If so bring it on! I will try and post a pic of the set-up.

Ken

claas900

#63 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Oct 14 2009, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Patrick,

.043" is a lot! Are you sure? I have a motor on the bench right now that specs out at .0235" (with the cartridge plate seal in place) and that is probably the biggest amount of play I have ever seen. Steve tells me I'm crazy, but I have had several in the .015" to .020" range. I almost always use about .008" to .012" worth of shims to get them around .005" end play (without cartridge plate seal). I use a bolt on jig with a good quality dial indicator off of the flywheel side of the crank. I then can just push the crank up (gravity will hold it down) to get my reading. So if anything I am on the short side of the measurement. I don't believe anybody has a better set-up to measure this with. If so bring it on! I will try and post a pic of the set-up.

Ken

Boy, I'm sure its been a wile tho. Something is telling me I had to use the thickest shim in the kit? But again I'm not 100% sure?

cannondale27

#64 Post by cannondale27 »

I quit shimming after seeing how much endplay changes after motor is run for awhile and everything settles in.Also had a shim break.If anything this will lead to use of thinner shims which will then break.I have never heard of any failure from a crank that was NOT shimmed.

SlOoT

#65 Post by SlOoT »

I received the rod today wich was in my package from Canniboomer. Looks very nice!

What is stronger btw, this rod or an early type stock H-beam style rod?