Whats your daily job?

r.porter

#61 Post by r.porter »

I'm an electronics technician for the local government. I would tell you who but then I would have to kill myself.sad.gif

lil jbr

uh

#62 Post by lil jbr »

professional hunter and fisherman.

CDaleChick

#63 Post by CDaleChick »

Originally posted by 440rider
That's funny I went to the Art Institute in Philly and graduated with an Assoc. Degree in Advertising design/ Commercial Art, and followed up with a BA in Advertising from Alabama. Well, if you are looking to get a job in graphic design ie. an ad agency, newspaper, pub co. in house design firm you need to take advertising and design classes. Focus on learning as much as you can about programs associated with GD such as :Photoshop, illustrator, Quark Xpress those are the main programs mainly used in design. Learn all you can about Mac operating systems we use OS X 10.3 here. I took alot of creative design, advertising, Ad campaigns classes, along with my core classes such as economics, Algebra, creative writing etc. WHAT year are you in school? The best thing you can do is pick up an internship with an agency or pub company, great for a reference and experience. Pay starting out is low-mid 20's topping out at 80's or so unless you open up your own agency or publishing co. Hope it helps!

i am getting my associates of applied science, majoring in graphics design. I have a year left of school and I am taking a bunch of classes on every program I will be needing to use. My brother in law owns his own graphics design business so I will be interning with him. the website for his business is www.adgination.com if u want to take a look. what is it like trying to get a job in other places in the US, all i really know is around the houston area and i really dont want to stay around here

440rider

#64 Post by 440rider »

His agency puts out some nice work! You should get alot of experience there. It's not to difficult to get an out of state job just throw some resumes around with some work samples I've lived in VT, CT, PA, NJ, NY and came to School in Alabama in 94 and liked it so much I stayed. I'm sure you can go anywhere you want to. Where would you like to go? Why not work with your brother in law he seems to have a nice agency?

CDaleChick

#65 Post by CDaleChick »

Originally posted by 440rider
His agency puts out some nice work! You should get alot of experience there. It's not to difficult to get an out of state job just throw some resumes around with some work samples I've lived in VT, CT, PA, NJ, NY and  came to School in Alabama in 94 and liked it so much I stayed. I'm sure you can go anywhere you want to.  Where would you like to go? Why not work with your brother in law he seems to have a nice agency?

if i stay in this area i will work for him, but i cant stand the houston, tx area...traffic, weather, the place is too crowded and too big....i want something a little bit more low key than how houston is, and somewhere a lot closer to the big GNC nationals. I want to start my own racing graphics business in a couple years...so hopefully I wont have to work under someone for too terribly long!

4punksdad

#66 Post by 4punksdad »

I am a high class ditch digger.

kdeal

#67 Post by kdeal »

Don't sell yourself short 4punksdad...you are a high class ditchdigger extrordinaire!!!! and one heck of a moto track builder.

J. Delaney

#68 Post by J. Delaney »

I was a mechanic at Ford for 10 years. Tried steam fitting. Hated it. Now I get to install lift kits, exhaust, chips, and tires and wheels at a tire shop called Les Schwab. It's pretty cool.

4punksdad

#69 Post by 4punksdad »

Originally posted by kdeal
Don't sell yourself short 4punksdad...you are a high class ditchdigger extrordinaire!!!! and one heck of a moto track builder.

thanks for the kind words. smile.gif

440rider

#70 Post by 440rider »

if i stay in this area i will work for him, but i cant stand the houston, tx area...traffic, weather, the place is too crowded and too big....i want something a little bit more low key than how houston is, and somewhere a lot closer to the big GNC nationals. I want to start my own racing graphics business in a couple years...so hopefully I wont have to work under someone for too terribly long!

I completely understand that I don't like crowded cities either. Starting your own race graphics co. would be a blast. Here's a link for you http://graphicmx.com/. I say if it's your passion go for it. Find out as much as you can about that market and business and how much it would cost to start up something like that. You can get a small business loan and your in biz!