Indy Dealer Show

wistech

#71 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Feb 22 2010, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You need to get out of Mikes Cycle Shop. No offense. Go down the road a bit to Janssens. I think you would be impressed. Unless you think they are liars there. I don't mean to belittle Mikes, but what have they done lately? I think Janssen can build 60+ hp honda motors all day long. I'm not trying to start anything, I have a lot of respect for you. I don't know anything about motors, but I can read a dyno chart.

Not sure what your talking about with Mikes. The new dyno setup is awesome. Although I run the dyno myself the new guy in charge is also fun to work with. I dont think Mikes builds race engines so I am not sure why you would want to compare them to Janssen but it looks like you have an agenda . I will admit Tim and myself have never been able to break 60 horsepower no matter what engine size (except the nitrous) at Mikes . But to go to someone who has a high reading dyno would skew data testing results so we would have to start over. Not going to happen unless I am looking for numbers. We have been outpowering everybody elses so called 60plus horse engines for years on our meager mid fifties motors so ya Im skeptical and truly believe everybody is a liar untill they prove what they say.

peterock

#72 Post by peterock »

Backing Roger on this one. I've seen some nice dyno runs come out of Janssen's with 60hp+. I believe the max power guys were putting out some pretty wicked 450's as well.

UpsMan

#73 Post by UpsMan »

I don't have an agenda, I'm just saying 450cc making 60+ hp isn't that rare. What makes you say Janssen's dyno reads high? And what if it does? Is Mikes the only shop that has their dyno calibrated? And as far as you outpowering everyone with mid fifties, it must be skill!! Seriously though, mid fifties is more than enough for mx or xc.

ScramblerXLE

#74 Post by ScramblerXLE »

... UpsMan, I didn't say that a 450 couldn't make 60HP. I said a stock one couldn't make 70HP. Not unless other guys' 60HP builds also show 70HP on their dyno... Like I said, the MX Pro's are making about 63-64HP on realistic dynos. I still want to ride it though biggrin.gif mid 50's is plenty for any kind of racing, and I don't care if it's super pipey just to take a spin on it. That could be fun anyway lol. Obviously a smoother powerband will be faster in the long run though. No one races a drag power-band on an MX or XC track...

kdeal

#75 Post by kdeal »

Guys, everyone needs to put this high / low dyno stuff to bed. They are not calibrated by anyone coming by with any tools. They are calibrated by a firmware file created by the manufacturer. I was at a very high end place that had just had new updated parts installed and they called Dynojet for a file that was e-mailed and installed by the owner/operator. If the right information is not specified when they create the file the dyno will not read correctly. In this case the Dynojet employee did not enter the fact that the dyno had an Eddy brake and was using the normal brake. This caused a 10% reduction in the readout. It was 10% across the board no matter what was tested. They used my bike that was previously dynoed at the same facility prior to the updates to verify the problem and the %. They called Dynojet who figured the problem out and provided the right firmware file to install. Problem solved. Any on you who are familiar with the Dynojet program knows that the output can be altered by the read method as well (SAE, Regular, etc). If you think someone has a low or high reading dyno, ask them when the last time they had any updates done, maybe it just needs a firmware update. I know that Dynojet just came out with a new AFR system that is really cool and I believe that requires a software update as well.
Of course, there are always the old Mustang car dynos that are inaccurate as all get out down low as well (becuse the read scale is for above 100HP) .... In that case I have an 80HP Cannondale!!!!!!

jinx44

#76 Post by jinx44 »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Feb 23 2010, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course, there are always the old Mustang car dynos that are inaccurate as all get out down low as well (becuse the read scale is for above 100HP) .... In that case I have an 80HP Cannondale!!!!!!

Yep, and Mustang dynos are known to read 30-40HP less than a dyno jet on a 500hp car.

A dyno is a tuning tool. The numbers don't mean ****. lol

I remember having an old banshee on the dyno several years back. It made mid 70s HP. I told the dyno operator that I was really hoping to break 80 that day. He said, "okay, here you go." and changed the correction factor slightly. It made 81HP. LOL

peterock

#77 Post by peterock »

To be honest. If these guys in OK were smart, they would distance themselves as far as they can from the cannondale name and cannondale community. Majority of people on here are too dedicated to cannondale to accept anything that may remotely resemble a cannondale.

If I were them, I would advise all employees that even mentioning the name cannondale is grounds for termination. Especially if mentioned to a vendor or after market company that is looking to make some components for them.

jesshamner

#78 Post by jesshamner »

QUOTE (peterock @ Feb 23 2010, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest. If these guys in OK were smart, they would distance themselves as far as they can from the cannondale name and cannondale community. Majority of people on here are too dedicated to cannondale to accept anything that may remotely resemble a cannondale.

If I were them, I would advise all employees that even mentioning the name cannondale is grounds for termination. Especially if mentioned to a vendor or after market company that is looking to make some components for them.

That's what I'm starting to think. I'm with you on this one Pete. Before you even posted this, I was starting to think that maybe they should just go ahead and manufacture their own frames in the SS like they are planning to do. Why use aluminum for a limited production and then switch to SS? Just make Highland its own brand.

kdeal

#79 Post by kdeal »

I'm with both of you as well! wacko.gif

ScramblerXLE

#80 Post by ScramblerXLE »

I still want them to race it in the GNCC! Trav, did you ever check out the rules at http://www.gnccracing.com???