Is 60HP possible?

jcv440

#81 Post by jcv440 »

Don't forget weight distribution also, handling is where it's all at in Flattrack/Ice Racing.

But on the 60hp topic. You would need to re-engineer dang there the whole top half of the engine. from intake to exhaust. The only thing good about it, the intake is in the front, exhaust in the back.

Tom Carlson has alot of data on the Cannondale engine. He was on to something, then Nacs turned off the funds. You won't get anywhere talking to Tom on the phone though, you'd need to go visit him at the shop. I know him pretty good, and I'd go over with someone if they where in the area.

Maz had some old factory concept ideas also, and so did Terry Marcum. The valve train and the intake/injector setup are the major setbacks.

aroracer72

#82 Post by aroracer72 »

But the thing is...that were the weight makes big differences...will be different. Our axle on the dale...if ti....would be 17pds lighter!!!!!!....thats a huge rotating mass difference!!!. And i nkow no one else most likely would also have a ti axle. So we would have an advantage. We'd be accelerating easier...and it will rev out alot easier...which means faster. I know how much this makes a difference cause ive done some stuff to my dads ds650 to help reduce rotating mass/etc...and it makes a world of difference.
CHAD

61austin

#83 Post by 61austin »

Originally posted by aroracer72
But the thing is...that were the weight makes big differences...will be different. Our axle on the dale...if ti....would be 17pds lighter!!!!!!....
CHAD

Does the stock axle even weigh 17lbs.?

Exodus

#84 Post by Exodus »

There was a fella on here a while back that had access to ti parts. The arms were somewhere around 4500 bucks. And a steering stem was around 700 I think. He had all the bolts and nuts, he's got a bunch, but to swap out everything to titanium, your looking at 10k and not even touching the motor. I'm a believer in saving weight, and believe me I would have all titanium parts on my bike if I had the 10k to spend on it. Point is, its going to be pricey, very pricey.

So how is the guy in dirtwheels making 70hp?

yamadjs08

#85 Post by yamadjs08 »

This is quoted straight from the article

"The engine has been bored to a 450 with headwork done and an HMF header and K&N air filter installed. I also put in a Nitrous Express system to boost the engines power. We run nitro/methane fuel at 13:1 compression ratio. Without the nitrous engaged, I figure we're cranking out about 70-plus hp on the motor."
"We're getting in the low four seconds over a 300-foot sand dragstrip"

Exodus

#86 Post by Exodus »

Thanks yamadjs08, I guess I was just wondering what mods that he did that made that much of an improvement. I know theres guys on here who have those same mods and their not getting that kind of power. I know he would have some kind of magic map constructed so the bike would even run using that fuel. But would that by itself make that much of a difference? Seems to me he did something either very easy "cough cough, FIGURE cough cough", or very expensive to get that kind of number.

Idea on weight savings: Fox Float Shocks, should shave some serious lbs.

aroracer72

#87 Post by aroracer72 »

I didnt say replace every ti part.
A ti shock spring saves 3pds
front springs....4 total
ti axle on conserative side....10pds
a-arms......6pds
steering stem.....4pds

i jsut weighed a stock cannibal axle...and it weighs about 15pds.....i forgot my ti weight savings conversion was for a ds650 axle. So weight savings for a stock dale axl would be about 8pds.
CHAD

aroracer72

#88 Post by aroracer72 »

And goioid thinking on the fox float shocks.......i like it.
CHAD

twisted

#89 Post by twisted »

Anyone think of some ram-air? or someway to force air into the engine faster and maybe just a straight drap pipe. IM sure with everypossible motor mod and a aggresive map, we could be near 55hp.

and by weight savings, its really unlimited.

jwheat

#90 Post by jwheat »

Originally posted by Exodus
Thanks yamadjs08,  I guess I was just wondering what mods that he did that made that much of an improvement.  I know theres guys on here who have those same mods and their not getting that kind of power.  I know he would have some kind of magic map constructed so the bike would even run using that fuel.  But would that by itself make that much of a difference?  Seems to me he did something either very easy "cough cough, FIGURE cough cough", or very expensive to get that kind of number.  

Idea on weight savings: Fox Float Shocks,  should shave some serious lbs.

Nitro-methane and nitro-propane are both ways of chemically supercharging your bike. Nitro doesn't actually burn, that is why it is mixed with methane or propane. Nitro carries twice as many atoms of oxygen as air does and it chemically breaks down into it's base components above 500 degrees. Therefore, when your cylinder fires, it releases twice as much oxygen in the cylinder as would normally be there and it has the same basic effect as a supercharger would on the engine. You have to run your engine very rich to compensate for the extra oxygen that is being released.