Going on a diet

Canniboomer

#81 Post by Canniboomer »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Apr 11 2008, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cdsracer's wife's LE has been running with a bike stator for about a year in the dunes with no problem. She kills the battery at night so she has to watch that, but otherwise it runs the fan and charges her ES12BS battery just fine!

It's good to confirm that,... and I would assume that is with the ATV voltage regulator. And if so, then swapping the mated voltage regulator would only be for weight saving, whatever the difference.

thedeatons

#82 Post by thedeatons »

Yep, everything else is pure ATV...

claas900

#83 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (claas900 @ Apr 6 2008, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heres a 2nd clutch basket I've been working on. See if the pics show up?

So I really wasn't that happy with this basket so I went at it some more, I haven't weighed it yet.

cannondale27

#84 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow, that's got to be alot lighter! Nice job.

claas900

#85 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Apr 10 2008, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, that's at least a good start, and right on topic! So, why not get more radical now? Like with maybe 24 or 36 small holes outside of the tines, in the thicker steel? It will only cost you another few hours and a 10-pack of drill bits!, LOL

LOL So this time I did go kinda into the gear part,I went between the tines. Heres some more pics I forgot to add. So now Iv been thinking about connecting the two holes on the fingers? So do you guys think? I'd have to do it free hand so.

thedeatons

#86 Post by thedeatons »

I would leave it... By hand will never look as good. It would be neat to have Tim (or someone) balance it when you are done....

cannondale27

#87 Post by cannondale27 »

Something like that could be balanced easily with nothing more than a lawnmower blade balancer or even a tire balancer. I bet its close if done on a mill. Still can't wait to see what chopped counter balancer does. Will have to show Timbo this also. What do you think of the holes closest to center? Strong enough?

thedeatons

#88 Post by thedeatons »

Tim already has this planned... LOL... I talked to him about it a couple weeks ago. He said his clutch basket is next!

claas900

#89 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ May 1 2008, 04:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something like that could be balanced easily with nothing more than a Lawnmower blade balancer or even a tire balancer.I bet its close if done on a mill.Still cant wait to see what chopped counterbalancer does.Will have to show Timbo this also.What do you think of the holes closest to center?Strong enough?

I hope its strong enough. I don't think theres really a lot of pressure there? I think once the bike is moving all the big load is on the teeth, then basket fingers, then clutch pack, then inner hub, then input shaft? I dunno the more I look at it the more I'm not sure if I want to run it, I run dunes 95% and drag a lot. I don't even want to think about what will happen if this thing lets go. I've had a 400EX basket blow on me and its not a pretty sight. I did make it to a scale today, right now the basket is at 2lbs 3 oz. So what is the 4oz I've drilled off it? 16oz make a pound so what about 1/4lbs drilled off it?

cannondale27

#90 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes your right. Hub takes brunt of force in center. Gear on outside. Never thought of that.