This cracks me up!!! A post from atvriders

MX Quad Dad

#81 Post by MX Quad Dad »

back to the original topic. I was thinking how would any shmoe know what kind of HP a factory bike is putting out. Next as we discused here those High HP engines are great for drag racing or even some other rideing but I would think even for a pro rider they would be working more on trying to get the perfect power curve for a perticular rider and or track. and from my expereance when you work on thet curve you tend to give up some at the top. I know the factories have a lot more money to throw at it but they are limited on cc's

I'm not doubting that Honda can get 65 or even 70 HP out of a 450 but, wouldn't the rider need to be super human to hold on to it for 20+ minuits on a MX track if they gave up a lot of bottom end to get that 65-70 HP?

cannondale27

#82 Post by cannondale27 »

Pro Riders are Super Human! It's thier job. Always amazed at difference between 98% of A riders and Pros not even close. I bet factories have 2 motors for each track specially tailored for specific track. Suspension also. Ever ride a Dirtbike?Acceleration and throttle control are in a different league compared to a quad. Alot of people seem to be able to handle it just fine.

peterock

#83 Post by peterock »

Thing is, they aren't giving up their bottom end to get those HP numbers. They don't build those engines to be 11,000 rpm dyno kings. If you ever get a chance to look at a dyno chart from them, you will more then likely see nice smooth power all the way through with gobs of torque to match.

We should have a new dyno war.......one that would probably fit the majority of people on this site.
Max HP at 5500rpm and MX HP at 10,500rpm. The king would be the motor with the least change between the two with factoring in the peak HP number.

cannondale27

#84 Post by cannondale27 »

That 450 Silent but Deadly would probably win that. Thing is that motor is hard to ride. It's still a screamer because when it hits it accelerates so fast it is hard to react plenty of time for shifting though. I would say an easier motor to ride actually has a nice gradual curve up with maybe 2000 rpm holding of peak on top till rev limit. Pretty much like we have already but no Cannondale dip.

I don't look too much but if I remember right there is alot of 500cc Honda 450's running the Cross Country Circuit. Some Harescrambles also. One is a friend of mine. He just loves the thing. Why?

kdeal

#85 Post by kdeal »

Steve, you don't remember the first time you threw a leg over a Banshee? Same thing. No bottom end at all, but wait a fraction of a second and Katey bar the door. I think any good rider can eventually over come any powerband. For the record, I loved my high powered Banshees.

SlOoT

#86 Post by SlOoT »

You guys should try my KTM 625, it pulls hard from idle till rev limit. The low-end power it has is just insane.

But for some stange reason I like the Cannondale engine more. laugh.gif Next season I'm gonna ride my stock Moto instead of the KTM.

desertbound

#87 Post by desertbound »

That moto you got is probably the cleanest I have seen.

SlOoT

#88 Post by SlOoT »

Thanks.

It is indeed very clean. On the picture it does not have the front plastic that came with it, those still have the stock decals and fenders, I installed these coz the fenders are cut of, and don't wanna cut the like new fenders.

Also note the Speed, it's in showroom condition, has no more then 5 hours on the rebuild/updated engine.

But back on-topic. I don't realy need much HP. I can ride on my little brothers Cannondale with the KTM 250 4-stroke engine and keep up with the 450's. It's all about handling and rider skills.

MX Quad Dad

#89 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (peterock @ Dec 19 2008, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thing is, they aren't giving up their bottom end to get those HP numbers. They don't build those engines to be 11,000 rpm dyno kings. If you ever get a chance to look at a dyno chart from them, you will more then likely see nice smooth power all the way through with gobs of torque to match.

We should have a new dyno war.......one that would probably fit the majority of people on this site.
Max HP at 55000rpm and MX HP at 10,500rpm. The king would be the motor with the least change between the two with factoring in the peak HP number.

unsure.gif you get one to rev to 55000RPM you'll be more than a dyno king laugh.gif

peterock

#90 Post by peterock »

don't know what you are talking about ph34r.gif