Indy Dealer Show

marshall100

#81 Post by marshall100 »

Only just got Dirtwheels in the uk, and I was convinced the frame was a dale. This proves it, I couldn't give a rats about HPO figures, I'd love to see this hybrid in any capacity racing in england. Spare parts over here are like rocking horse poo.

cannondale27

#82 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is what DirtRider had to say in the April issue. Not good. I agree with you guys. They should not associate with Cannondale and if that means waiting awhile to bring these things out then thats what they should do. Just looks like they are getting way ahead of themselves and should have waited to release any info publicly. Of course the reason they did these releases is to raise $ and get investors. Thats fine but do it honestly. My vulture comment was because of that.

[attachment=10001:Highland.jpg]

peterock

#83 Post by peterock »

Ouch, that review hurt a little.

ScramblerXLE

#84 Post by ScramblerXLE »

C27 I think I said they were way ahead of themselves a while back (on a different forum) and I couldn't agree more. Sorry guys, but what is 'released' or 'prototyped' at the moment is a Cannondale quad being used as a test mule for a different engine. At that stage of the game, that's why I can't agree with the HP claims or most of the others. I hope this thing comes out within a few years with it's own chassis (or the dale's I guess, it doesn't much matter, but if they want to not be compared to the dale then they shouldn't build something that is 90% dale and call it a highland.) I really do hope though that it is successful and is a neat, good handling, strong-running, american built 450cc race machine. At this stage of the game I just can't believe that some folks are as 'on board' as they are. It has nothing to do with it being a dale chassis from my point of view. If they had been building these things out of 450R's with their engine and the rest honda or any other make I would be EVERY BIT as critical and would be saying the same thing.

It's not a Highland machine, it's another manufacturers' machine being used to test and engine which is NOT YET READY to go into production. I just hope that what started as a publicity thing; making sure you were at the dealer show with a machine, having all the magazines ride it, and making what are still in my opinion over-ambitious performance claims, doesn't backfire and give you guys a bad name before you're even ready to bring a product to market... It was quite a gamble, and I can respect taking a chance, but I still don't think the product was ready for prime time. I just hope it doesn't damage your company's reputation bad enough that you can't come back from it.

2000ex

#85 Post by 2000ex »

Yep, exact same thing I wrote in the other thread that was about the original Dirt Wheels article. Way too premature and putting out a prototype like that with all old parts on it would be doing them more harm than good. I think it may be an option if their motors prove reliable and put out amazing power to have a kit for our machines but that is it really.

Have them make their own chassis and parts so the mainstream people are not doing this rolleyes.gif when they again see our chassis being used by ANOTHER company. Cannondale has a horrible name/reputation with most ATV people, so why associate with that when you are trying to come out with something new?

peterock

#86 Post by peterock »

Like I said. If these weren't cannondale frames (just because they are so unique looking) then no one would rant as much about it or care. Look at Kawasaki and Suzuki????

In a way it is like saying Cannondale shouldn't have used Honda parts. I'm sure it wasn't dumb luck that the a-arms, rear sprocket, axle. etc can all be used from a honda. Or suzuki valve buckets and rod bearing? I'd imagine the clutch pack is from something out there as well?

Business decision.......HMMMMMMM we can buy 200 frames at a great price and build off them or r&d and make our own from scratch?

If building a frame from scratch was that easy, you wouldn't see people paying big money for after market frames for the other 450's.

Just once you guys need to get off your cannondale soap box and be glad someone is using the platform as if they are succesful it has the potential to open up the ability of some nice after market parts that will work on your machine as well. Or better yet, maybe chuck your engine after you get sick of spinning flywheels, dropping valves, and decomps flying apart and just install one of their engines?

ScramblerXLE

#87 Post by ScramblerXLE »

QUOTE (peterock @ Feb 23 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like I said. If these weren't cannondale frames (just because they are so unique looking) then no one would rant as much about it or care. Look at Kawasaki and Suzuki????

In a way it is like saying Cannondale shouldn't have used Honda parts. I'm sure it wasn't dumb luck that the a-arms, rear sprocket, axle. etc can all be used from a honda. Or suzuki valve buckets and rod bearing? I'd imagine the clutch pack is from something out there as well?

1) see my post above for complaining about other makes

2) I've tried to find what the clutch pack came from and never have been able to lol!

speedracer

#88 Post by speedracer »

I agree with Pete,a engine option,with all the hard work figured out,could certainly cause no harm.

cannondale27

#89 Post by cannondale27 »

Pete you are wrong.One of the main reasons Cannondale was ticking people off both in aftermarket and OEM was because they went out of thier way to not use anything most of the aftermarket made at the time.They made the parts themselves.If anything they were a threat to the aftermarket.As for a motor to put in a Cannondale there is plenty of good candidates if needed someday.I cant wait to see a new YZF motor in one.

2000ex

#90 Post by 2000ex »

Yet another response from the racing community when reviewing the new Highland Dirtwhels article. THESE are the people they would be targeting to sell this bike to.
http://www.neatv-mx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9635